Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• konvakonva Member Posts: 64
    Hey, thanks alot, seems working now :)
    @Gusinda hello again, I have question regarding on mobile mods.. since on mobile, complete saga contains 3 different games, there is a tool for PC, that extract sod files into override I guess, or make them available for modding. If I use this to mobile version, will it works when I merge BGEE+SOD into BGEE game directory? So I dont have to install same mods three times but only two? (BGEE+SOD and BG2EE) I wanna try some extra encounters mod + cdtweaks only for BGEE and tweaks only for BG2EE. Im too scared to copy paste mine full install of whole trilogy from PC (here comes question, will it even works if I copy override folder + dialog.tlk to device? )
    edited February 2021
    Im now trying to prepare BGEE for modding, but after repacking the patch.obb game crashes upon casting spell, I saw discussions that this issue was during beta version but the latest one?
    Nevermind, fixed, sorry for post
    Post edited by konva on
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @konva, when I create a modfile for Android SoD using the PC, I create it with PC version of BGEE/SOD together. When I create it for Android BGEE, I use the standalone package of PC BGEE only. The main reason was about the UI graphics used. The dialog.tlk in BGEE/SOD is the same size (so I guess the same) as the Android SoD game, so I treat them (BGEE and BGEE/SOD) as different games on the PC.

I just have both games (BGEE and BGEE/SOD) in 2 seperate folders for modfile preperation. I use batch files to do the installation so if there is a common set of mods that I install (which there mostly is), then I just set them up once and copy the batch file and mods where necessary and run the batch file; all done. Actually, what I do is have different batch files but essentially the same content (it is just an organisational thing...).

It is a fairly simple process and if you are interested, I can talk you through the makeup of batch file. I also use a batch file to create the modfile and treat it with Centralfix. It usually means no human error (unless I messed up the batch file to begin with, then it is a quick edit and rerun...). An advantage of the batch file is that if you get the mod order wrong, then you change the order in the batch, clean up the work area and rerun to create again... and you don't have to remember every component you installed, it just does it!

I use to use the .obb contents of the Android game to setup the mods. When the game versions aligned, I use my PC games to setup the mods for Android play and create the modfile from that.

In testing, with the dialog.tlk renamed in the .obb, I have been able to get the game working without having to package dialog.tlk into a lang.zip and treat it with centralfix. It has been a bit flakey (worked with some mods but not others) though, so have just stuck to packaging it. As you might be aware, I was also just using a one file modfile which allowed for a very simple copy and play, but that was also causing some problems, particularly when the modfile contained above a certain amount of files. Now (or at least until v2.6 is released and we see what changes need to be done), I am just sticking with the packaged lang.zip (which does contain other files as well as dialog.tlk) and an unpacked override folder.

By the whole trilogy, are you talking about EET? If so, then I don't think it will work due to folder restrictions and pathing.

Hope all that makes sense; if it doesn't then I am more than happy to expand where I need to.

Happy Gaming
    Gus
    Hmm bgee acts differentely from iwdee. In bgee i have in data/files only the zipfile with mods and it seems working. So if i want to mod bgee sod together, I just can install PC version of BGEE with sod, (since i have steam, just after that i use modmerge), then install the mods for BGEE+SoD, and then make modfile and put it into /data/files?

I did some talk with Roxanne on other site, and EET acts like that it intall very few mods for BGEE, then put all files from BGEE+SoD into BG2EE override and treats then like this, rest of BG1 mods are installed into BG2EE. I also have question about reducing file numbers in override, creating something like override2+ .. since you mentioned somewhere that game might crash if too many files.

This reminds me of one question. If I make modfile from mine heavily modded game, when I include override, the dialog tlk, and other folders like data, worldmap? I did some exploring, those really dont probably needed to be added but not sure. If you wanna what I have installed, I added here both weidu logs for mine EET install. Tell me your opinion if this may work. Thank you so much :)
  • krion64krion64 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021
    Anyone have advice on how to mod BG1EE on Android 11? I am using multiple file managers that support /Android/data/ folder a as well as hooking my phone up to my computer with a USB cable (MTP), but it seems like I can't copy anything into /com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/ specifically. Don't know about any other BeamDog titles.
    Hi @krion64 and welcome to the forum. Sorry for the late response but I have been otherwise occupied with RL activities. The problem stems from the new folder access restrictions on the \Android\Data folder introduced by Android 11.

I don't have Android 11 on my device, but I had the opportunity to play with a device that does recently. It didn't have BG installed, but the playing was mainly to see how to gain access to the \Android\data folder. I found that one of the File Managers I use called 'X-Plore File Manager' provides such access. X-Plore File Manager is free to use with In-App Purchases available from Google Play. Getting the folder access is not a purchased function... I am sure more third party File Managers will follow suit and most likely RAR for Android, but as it stands right now, X-Plore is good to use.

If you install and open, navigate to the \Android folder and the app will prompt you that it requires read\write access to be enabled. Follow the on screen instructions and you should now be able to copy modfiles into the \Android\data\game\files folder. Use the split pane to copy the files. This means that you have one of the panes open where the Modfile is and the other pane open on \Android\Data\Game\Files, select the Modfile then tap on 'Copy' (or long press on the Modfile and select Copy). Allow the app to copy the file and you should be good to go.

To modify the patch.obb (if required) to remove the game's access to dialog.tlk, I believe that you need to copy patch.obb into a folder that RAR for Android can work in. \Documents or \Downloads should be okay, or you can create your own work folder and use that. After you rename dialog.tlk to dialog.klt, then you need to copy patch.obb back into the \Android\obb\game folder.

None of this has actually been tested of course (other that X-Plore), but the theory is sound.

If you do try it, could you provide some feedback either successful or not?

Hopefully, this fixes the problem and get you back to gaming with your favourite mods...

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Gus

Hi @konva, you are correct with modding SOD. The PC version contains that same dialog.tlk that exists in the Android version. You wont be able to use that same modfile in Android BGEE through. It needs to use the PC stand alone version of BGEE. When you install the PC BGEE, you can create a copy of the game folder and use it as the modding area for your Android BG1 game, then you can install SOD, and copy that folder to use as the modding area for your Android SOD (hope that makes sense).

I have never used EET so can't comment on that. Sorry... The only thing I can say here is that it would seem strange to copy all files over. A lot of files exist in both games but use different references (pointers) to text in the dialog.tlk. I am not sure how that would work at all if you are only using the BG2 dialog.tlk for BG1 specific files.

So far as the stand alone modfile.zip being used vs the unpack and have lang.zip along with override folders etc, depending on the mods used, there seems to be problems when the modfile.zip contains a large number of files (I find somewhere between 5-6000 or more gives me problems (either crash when a spell is cast [animation?] or some invalid text). It was certainly easy to use when it was a single file but I have now modified my process to make them as an unpacked file for all modfiles...

To answer the other question, you shouldn't need to copy the 'data' folder as it would be like a read only portion of the folder structure and not an override folder. I am unsure about EET though... from what you are saying you might need these files for that? I guess that is why there is a detailed order to create the game.

Sorry I can't provide more info. Should look into EET one day but seem to like the different GUIs for each game and often I use the original weapon proficiences in BG1 (and IWD).

Would be interested how you go with EET (and I know that there have been a lot of requests in the forum for some solution).

All the best
    Gus
  • UldregUldreg Member Posts: 2
    Hi! @Gusinda is there any chance you could help me to sort this out?
    I recently started to succesfully mod my games on Android based on your guide (thank you for that) but I still have some problems with PSTEE. I'm currently using v3.0.4.0 due to Android compatibility and every time I try to use PST:UB - Reloaded v1.5 it does the same two things: first, it will install normally when "Install All components" is selected, but in the end the message "Skipped xxxxx- already" will pop up. However, installing the components one by one seems to do just fine. However, in-game some of those components (Restored More Morte Mortuary Moments, to be precise) will display the "invalid-xxxx". This is specially true with his comments on Dhall's book. Am I missing something in the modding process with PSTEE? Thanks in advance
    Hi @Uldreg, and welcome to the forum.

This error generally comes because the game tries to access the vanilla dialog.tlk (located in the game's .obb) and gets confused. The only fix I know at the moment is to remove that access by renaming the file in the .obb.

Give this a go and hopefully all will be well.

Renaming PSTEE dialog.tle in .obb:
    Note 1: An assumption here is that language used is English. If not, then you will need to navigate to the language being used...

Note 2: If you have Android 11 on your device, then you may need to take some additional steps where you copy the .obb to a work area where you have permissions (see the comments in the post 2 above yours).

- Make a backup of 'Android/obb/com.beamdog.pstee/com.beamdog.pstee.obb' to anywhere not in its folder (this is just a safety measure so that if it goes wrong, you don't need to redownload it)
    - Download RAR for Android (free in the Google Play store). I am sure other compression software could do the job but I know this one works without compressing the .obb.
    - Open RAR and navigate to 'Android/obb/com.beamdog.pstee'
    - Long press on 'com.beamdog.pstee.obb' and rename to 'com.beamdog.pstee.obb.zip'
    - Short press on 'com.beamdog.pstee.obb.zip' which should open the file allowing you to look at the contents
    - navigate to '/lang/en_US/', long press on and rename 'dialog.tlk' to 'dialog.klt' (it can be anything as long as it follows the xxxxxx.xxx naming rule. I just reverse the extension so that I know what it was...)
    - let RAR save the renaming (it takes a little while but you can see when it is finished by looking at the bottom of the app window, it will revert back to the long file name). This method should not change the size of the .obb at all.
    - Back out of 'com.beamdog.pstee.obb.zip' so that you again see the whole file.
    - Rename 'com.beamdog.pstee.obb.zip' back to 'com.beamdog.pstee.obb' (this is often forgotten; if the game starts to try and redownload the .obb, this is the first place to look for a fix)
    - That ends the adjustment for the .obb

If you already have the dialog.tlk renamed, then another possible reason:
    If you are using a single modfile (where you just copy the modfile to that Files folder with no unpacking), then I have had some similar problems with the amount of files it contains (over 5-6000 can cause some strange occurances). These days, I am using the method where the modfile is extracted leaving lang.zip and the override folder in the Files folder. Hope that makes sense.

For the error when installing all, there is a FORBID_COMPONENT in 'Restored More Morte Mortuary Moments'. There are two variants of the component install (which can be read about in the readme file). It is likely that is what is creating the error message due to one of the variants already installed? Guess only...

One last reason that comes to mind:
    I know you said you mod in 3.0.4.0 due to the Andorid version but on my device, the latest version for Android is 3.1.3.0 (English). It might be that the there is a version difference? Having said that, I create my modfiles using the PC 3.1.4.0 game and run it on 3.1.3.0 version with what seems to be no side effects. I must admit though, I have never actually completed the game on my phone as I have a Hybrid touch screen laptop that I use when mobile... I mostly use it for testing when I create the modfiles for others.

Let me know if further explanation is required (and if it fixes the prob).

Good luck and Happy Gaming
    Gus
  • UldregUldreg Member Posts: 2
    @Gusinda Well, I followed your suggestions and they kinda worked. For example, Morte's Initial Dialog works just fine (I selected everything while installing to give a try) but his pick-up lines and the comments near Dhall still show "invalid xxxx". I also tried installing another mod (JournalPortrait) without using UB and it worked flawlessly. Right now I'm planning to just install whatever mods I want including UB and play for a while to see if the invalid text only applies to Morte's bit. If so, I can live with it. Thanks for your help, you indirectly helped me to install JournalPortraitConversations.
    @Gusinda Hello again. I have bought new samsung s21 ultra. Unfortunately when I created backup of modfiles and all settings for baldurs gate mobile, I cannot manage to put it onto android/data/game folder/files. It just doesnt work without any error message. I can put it only onto com.beamdog.game folder before files. Any suggestions how to put files there? I do it via PC. Tried also developer mode, turning the OEM block off.
    noone knows about this issue? No clues?
    Ok, issue is that game folders in andoid/data are empty. If someone experiences same issue as mentioned above, or just cannot copy modfiles into data, I have found a solution.
    On PC you create same folder structure: com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/ your files here. On mobile, you might experience that you cant just delete that folder, so rename it to whatewer you like, and copy created folders from PC. Game is working properly with mods again.
    Hi @konva, sorry about any delay, I was out caravanning...

This sounds like an Android 11 security 'feature' where they don't want any program accessing the data folder unless it really needs to. Although I haven't upgraded yet to Android 11 (I am on 10 but the persistant notice to update exists which I am sure I will give into), I have had a chance to play with a device that does. I didn't have BG installed but the theory should work. Let me know if it doesn't.

I found that X-plore (a file manager that can be found in Google Play Store (the free version does what you need) allows you to enable access to the data folder when using X-plore. Just install and open X-plore, then open the Data Folder. The app will let you know that it needs to gain read/write access. Just follow the apps directions and you should then have R/W access when using X-plore to play in that area. I have found that I could add, delete and modify (using the tools within X-plore) files and folders...

If you need to modify the .obb files (to remove the games access to the vanilla dialog.tlk), then you would likely need to copy the patch.obb to a location that RAR would have access to (download or documents folder is fine at least until RAR changes its code to allow for access as well), make the adjustment, then copy the patch.obb back to its original location.

Hope that makes sense and allows game play modded.

Best of luck
    Gus
  • 2k16daniel2k16daniel Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2021
    Greetings Everyone
    I've Successfully compiled the weidu and other utility(centralfix) using termux. I Did that so that I can do mod even without pc , but I need help first for clarification (before I share the guide) because we're not using the same Android OS.

Screenshot below

n8ey1pqu3a0s.png
    oqz5rmx2i2bs.png
    eqqebad1lr37.png
    2rup2edzobt8.png

I'm on Android 11. My soon to be post guide might not work on Android 11 below that's why I need help:

This
    /storage/emulated/0 on A11 was not case-sensitive (which is good ) but it suffer in slow speed , it because of new SAF. Using weidu on this path (on android11) was pain in the *** , soo sloow (might not be an issue on Android 10 below if it was not case sensitive) , I just did a couple of workaround (I'm rooted , so I can access its real mountpoint [/data/media/0/]) so this was not the problem to me.

Now many of u may still using A10 (I recommend Android 10 below OS) I just wanted you to tell me if Android 10's (below) /storage/emulated/0/ was also case insensitive , by using cd command on that path

Use Termux App.

Example :
    Go to your internal memory path.
    Let say In Your internal directory tree u have

Android/
    DCIM/
    Documents/
    Download/
    Twrp/

if you can access "Documents" by typing "cd documents/" it means your path are not case sensitive , as it recognize "documents == Documents"

So u tell me guys , i dont have older phone here.

Thankyou!

=====================================

Everything seems fine , I installed 3 mods now without issue (Tweak Anthology v9 , SoD to bg2EE items , Shadow Magic) and Enjoying it now.
    Hi @2k16daniel and welcome to the forum. Love where you are going with this.

I have done a quick test on 2 devices (both not rooted), one with Android 6.0.1 (Samsung TabS) and the other with Android 10 (Samsung Note10+). Both devices weren't case dependent and I was able to 'cd' into various folders.

I am sure that it may be just app permissions, app configuration or maybe I need to root (can test with the 6.0.1 device later, it is being used at the moment for other matters) but I was unable to 'ls' most folders with permission being denied.

Quick Test = Install app, move to 'root' folder, then see what I can see. Move into Storage, move into 'emulated', move into 0. Was able to see listing in 'root' folder with 6.0.1, not in 10. Was able to see listing in 'storage' in both. Was not able to see listing in 'emulated' or '0' in both. Was not able to see listing in 'Documents', 'download', 'DCIM', 'Android' or 'Android/data' in both but no problems moving into the folders using lowercase. I don't have TWRP installed at the moment but when I reroot the TabS, I will be (just finished putting original firmware on for different testing...).

Hope that provides the info needed. Let me know if you need some more testing.
    Gus

edited April 2021
    Hi @Gusinda , thankyou for your inputs , that really mean alot to me , I will post the guide here soon

About that permission denied :
    Starting 6.0.1 - 10 , U have to ask a permission on your file content provider if you want to access the whole internal (including the Android/Data) so termux created "termux-setup-storage" command to overcome that. you can access your internal storage after you give the app a permission creating its own symlink ( $HOME/storage/shared/) for /storage/emulated/0.

Thankyou very much , it feels great that I can now finally contribute to your guide.
    edited May 2021
    Alright So here it is :
    ( Sorry android 11 users :( , I don't recommend to do modding on your A11 cause SAF was really slow , but if you're rooted then this is not a problem for you.)

## Firstly , Thankyou @Gusinda for clarifying things to me , to the dev of our utilities and owner of this thread

Title : Setting up Weidu for android device.

Preperation :
    Install & Download the following ~

Termux app - Free Terminal app that u can download on PlayStore or F-Droid.
    The zip files provided here.

Setting up the Termux:

1.) After preperation, Open Termux app. It will take a while to prepare itself for the first time.
    2.) U need to update the repo first so type the command
    "apt-get update" (without Quotes)
    3.) We need sum basic utils here so type the command
    "pkg install unzip zip p7zip iconv"
    4.) In order to access your internal storage using Termux , you must have to grant him a permission. To do that , type the command "termux-setup-storage" popup dialog will show then click Allow.

Rule of thumb : The Termux's path to internal storage is "$HOME/storage/shared" do not use "/storage/emulated/0" it will give you permission denied output (in some android rom)

5.) I assume that the file you download (mod_util.zip) are inside of your phone's download folder , copy that file by using this command
    "cp storage/downloads/mod_util.zip $HOME" (without Quote)

6.) Extract the zip using this command
    "unzip mod_util.zip".

7.) go to mod_util folder by using this command "cd $HOME/mod_util"

You will see files just like mine when you type this command
    "ls -a"

Picture :
    ydxmq3iakn7b.png

(Do not do this step 8 if you're already a Termux user as this will overwrite your .profile. Just copy my .profile contents then paste it to your .profile)

8.) move the .profile file into your home directory by typing this command
    "mv .profile $HOME"

9.) Grant these files as executable by entering this command
    "chmod +x weidu weinstall tolower centralfix"

10.) Just restart your termux app , pull down your notification panel then click exit. Then open again.

To test , enter this command "weidu" if weidu help screen comes out then you're ready to do mod.

Tips | Accessing internal storage makes easier :

If you want to access your internal storage , type "cd $internal"
    If you want to access your download directory , then type "cd $downloads"

Technical note :
    As u see , the binary file was a little bit bulky unlike on official build , it's bulky because I linked it statically upon compilation. Since there's no ocaml compiler on termux's repository. I had to use a small linux distro just to build weidu from source. Of course alpine and Android has different C standard library so U cant run the compiled binary directly to android. But hey 7mb isnt that big tho.

You can see here what I did at my forked Weidu
    https://github.com/2k16daniel/weidu

Another note :

This (Weidu) are built for Arm64/armv8 cpu , let me know if you're using armv7 ill make a build for you

2k16daniel

Edit : Don't use the weidu , weinstall provided to this zip file. use the updated build here instead
    Post edited by 2k16daniel on
    edited April 2021
    [deleted]
    Post edited by 2k16daniel on
    Hello @Gusinda Can u help me again ?
    I looked into your modfile (mod with trilogy components) I've found out that under your en_US , u had dialogf.tlk , where did u get it? I'm confused right now , there's only dialog file on en_US inside of obb file.

And If I install a mod with chitin.key modification , where do I put that btw ? Do I also include it on lang-en_US.zip?

Thankyou
    G'Day @2k16daniel. Sorry about the time delay.

dialogf.tlk: I just copied the dialog.tlk and renamed as dialogf.tlk when I was doing some fault finding with some consistant crashing. It stopped the crashing with those mods, so I left it in my procedure... I am unsure whether the English version of the game actually reads the dialogf, but it seemed to prevent something interferring. This was prior to removing access to the vanilla dialog.tlk as a common action. Now that removing access is if full swing, dialogf.tlk could no doubt be removed.

I wont be changing my procedure (it works the way it is :smile: ) until v2.6.x.x is released and I can see exactly what is happening with the new version. Who knows, we might be able to skip a lot if the 'fixes' and the mods just work without probs. One can dream...

You may have noticed some other folders with empty files. This was also a fault finding stage when regular crashing was happening with BG2EE. It definately fixed the crashing so I implemented that change into BG1EE SOD and IWDEE modfiles as well. I am guessing here that the command to create the empty files would be the same as Linux/Unix:

touch filename

chitin.key. I haven't had to add that file, but I would say that I would include it into the lang.zip (just to keep it together) and place it in the root of that file; ie:

lang.zip contents =
    /other folders like music sounds movies scripts etc (to standardise my procedure, I now keep override out of lang.zip; If it contains too many files, I have found that more than ~5000, the modfile crashes the game but it works fine unpacked)
    /lang
    chitin.key

With the chitin.key located in the main.obb, you may have to remove access to its vanilla version as well but I would try without doing that first...

All the best
    Gus
    Hello again @Gusinda

I tried to install multiple packs of mod but it end up on crashing the game , tried to reorder but it gives me invalidXXXX , i know theres something wrong bout installation order of mods. May i know the correct order list u following?

Thanks
    Hi @2k16daniel, the invalid text either comes from the mod not updating dialog.tlk or the vanilla version being looked at instead. What mods are you installing? There are some that have a difficult time with Android due to their coding.

With the order, I generally use this as the 'starting' point and work from there. For any GUI mods that use WeiDU, I install them after the non-weidu mods, before the story mods.

For all of the modfiles, I have included the WeiDU.log which will show the order they were installed. The only ones it wont show are the individual 'fixes' and they are copied into the override folder at the start (as non-weidu mods) and some GUI changes I make (like fonts) which are also copied at the end (although I only place those if requested) of the modding process.

Hope that helps
    Gus
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Hello @Gusinda how are you? Thanks for writing all this down, I truly appreciate it. I just bought an android and am looking to put a modded game on my phone.
    I've read through this post here and the comments you have linked in that post.
    I'm having a little bit of difficulty figuring out exactly what you're doing. I understand that you're creating a mod-able environment file structure on the PC and then transferring that to the android.
    But there are a lot of things that I'm confused about. For example, at some point you say to use the centralfix.exe file and at another point you say don't use it, a new method has been developed.
    Can you please clarify on this? I know you said at some point that you're waiting for the 2.6 version to come out to make a more comprehensive guide than the posts you have scattered around.
    A guide like that would be very awesome indeed. I understand that most of this right now is trying to figure out exactly what to do and troubleshooting things as they come up. I know you have poured a lot of sweat and tears into this and you are generously sharing all you've learned about doing so with us. Thank you so much.
    I'm fairly tech savvy, but I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out what you figured out did work and didn't work. I know that with enough time I could figure it out through trial and error. But I would be so grateful if you could provide a more comprehensive understanding so I could ride your coat-tails, so to speak.
    If you don't have time to do that, I understand. I'm low on time as well, which is why I'm asking.
    Thanks for all the great work.
    edited April 2021
    Hi @mashedtaters, thanks for the kind words...

I can see where some things may confuse. I was playing with creating modfiles without using centralfix.exe but it didn't suit all the needs of most forumites who were requesting modfiles, so I reverted to a standard method so that I didn't have to use multiple batch files based on the modfile used.

The current process involves using centralfix.exe.

Also, if you have the PC versions of the game installed, then you don't need to worry about creating a modfile creation area with the .obb files. The version of the games are the same and therefore, the size of dialog.tlk (the important file here) is the same for both Android and PC.

What I do is to copy the contents of a vanilla install of the game (BG1EE for instance) into another folder called BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A (you can call it what you want as it wont make any difference). I also edit the content of 'Engine.lua' so that the first line reads:
    engine_name = "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.2.5.A"

This will create a new save area in your Documents folder to keep that games seperate when testing the modfile (or indeed play the game on PC and Andoird after transfering your saved games...)

Once you have your 'android' folder setup, then you install the mods you want. As mentioned in the other post, I would recommend that you start with a couple of simple mods until you get the process under wraps, then hit it with the big ones. I would start with Tweaks Anthology, BG1 NPC Project and BG1 Unfinished Business. The reason I say these, is that I know they work well and will show problems early in the game if a mistake was made in the process. One thing I would suggest is to keep a copy of the vanilla dialog.tlk aside for when you want to create a new modfile. It means you don't need to reinstall. Just delete the modded one and copy the vanilla across.

Once the mods are installed and you are ready to create the modfile (ie tested the game on PC, for BG1NPC I create a character, exit Candlekeep and wait for Imoen. If I can initiate a talk with Imoen and see the text, then all is good), then we need to build a modfile creation folder. This will allow you to copy all the necessary files for the modfile into a specific area so that we don't include any of the base game files.

- Create a new folder called '_Modfile', double click into the folder and create 'lang', enter into that one and create another folder called 'en_US'. You should end up with:

BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\lang\en_US

- Copy BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk to BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\lang\en_US
    - Copy 'centralfix.exe' into BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile
    - Copy the contents of 'BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\override' to 'BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\override'
    - At this stage you should have the following:

BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\override
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\centralfix.exe

In my process, I have also made a copy of the dialog.tlk as dialogf.tlk and included it in the en_US folder. This was due to some fault finding on BG2EE which seemed to have prevented some crashing. It worked so I kept it there. We shall have to see what happens with 2.6.x.x.

I have also created some other override folders called:

movies
    music
    scripts
    sounds

and created empty files in them. This was also due to BG2EE crashing but I kept it for all modfiles to standardise the procedure.

in 'movies' create 'empty.wbm'
    in music create 'empty.mus'
    in scripts create 'empty.bs'
    in sounds create 'empty.wav'

You should now have the following:
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\lang\en_US\dialogf.tlk
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\movies\empty.wbm
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\music\empty.mus
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\override [and all it's contents]
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\scripts\empty.bs
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\_Modfile\sounds\empty.wav
    BG1EE.2.5.17.0.A\centralfix.exe

The next part is based on which compression utility you use. I use 7z and have used WinRAR in the past. You need to create the lang.zip file which needs to be an uncompressed container. This is the command line for 7z but it can also be done using the GUI front end:

7z a -tzip -mx0 lang .\lang .\movies .\music .\scripts .\sounds

-mx0 = no compression

That will create lang.zip in the root of _Modfile which will then need to have 'centralfix.exe' applied. Command Line:

centralfix lang.zip

You will see in the command prompt dialog box, centralfix going through and fixing headers so that the game can read them in Android. To test to see if it went well, just run the command again. There should be nothing to fix.

With the lang.zip file created and centralfix applied, it is now a case of creating a container file to copy to your Android device. You can copy direct as it is now but it will take forever with most likely over 5k of files in override folder...

Using 7z or WinRAR create the container file Modfile.xxx (I use the default for the utility being used, ie .7z for 7z and .RAR for WinRAR). I do this to keep the process simple. Anything .zip is uncompressed and needs centralfix, anything 7z, is compressed. 7z command line:

7z a -t7z -mx9 Modfile .\override lang.zip

-mx9 = maximum compression

You are now ready to copy Modfle.7z over to your Adroid device to install. Not sure if you are having problems with that part but if you are, let me know. It is almost time to bring this text wall to a close.

One part that is almost a must these days is removing the game's access to the vanilla dialog.tlk. Have a look here but you will need to change the folder paths for the game being modded... There shouldn't be a need with the mods mention here on BG1EE but BG2EE does have many problems and this is a fix to try if problems occur. It is also based on the mod used. For example, if you are installing Shadow Magic, then you will definately need to block the vanilla dialog due to coding used in the mod.

Once it is done, you wont need to redo it for other modfiles. I have kept a copy of the vanilla dilog.tlk and created a lang.zip out of it if I wanted to play a vanilla game (which of course I haven't done for years :neutral: )

Hope that makes sense. If not, let me know the problem areas and I can expand.

My whole process:
    - cleaning the game folder of mod install (not of mods but the install, debug files and WeiDU.log as well as replacing the dialog.tlk with a vanilla version) for a new modfile,
    - mod installation (there is initially some manual interaction done here to find out which part of the mod to be installed to determine what numbers are required)
    - cleaning _Modfile folder ready for new modfile creation
    - copy the modfile content to _Modfile folder and creating the modfile.

is done through batch files. I am happy to pass them across, but you will need to have knowledge of batch file commands and batch variables to use properly, otherwise it may be a bit confusing. They are commented internally (a habit I got use to), but not to a point where it explains every command as there would be some assumed knowledge.

Anyway, enough for now; my fingers are tired and need to sleep. Have a bash at this and let me know how you get on.

All the best
    Gus

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is that the PC game needs to be BG1EE only for BG1EE Android game, BG1EE with SOD for the Android SOD game and BG2EE for Android BG2EE. IWDEE is good for both and if you are looking at PSTEE, then there is a version difference, but I haven't found any problems. My PSTEE is only a light mod anyway and I haven't yet played with Unfinished Business Reloaded but it is on the cards.
    Thanks @Gusinda for the reply I appreciate it.
    So it looks like the guide in the very first comment of this thread still applies, but supplemented or tweaked with what you have found out.
    That is correct?
    edited April 2021
    @mashedtaters, yeah, not much fundamentally changed. No longer keep everything in the same file due to the amount of files causing some problems though.

Gus

Edit: Spelling
    Hey @Gusinda the centralfix.exe from @ScottBrooks keeps getting flagged by my firewall. In fact, I disabled the firewall to download it and then it deleted the file afterwards.
    It is telling me that it contains a worm meant to secretly mine cryptocurrency without my knowledge.
    Any thoughts on this?
    inww7vc45t4s.png