Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• sbhaalspawnssbhaalspawns Member Posts: 22
    My override folder is 500+ mb so I can't upload it here. Should I try Dropbox or something?
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @sbhaalspawns,

It should zip down quite nicely to around 100-200 meg. Dropbox (not sure if you can do anon there) is fine. I use to use Zippyshare (if you have access) but now days find it easier with Google Drive. I have a bit more control and can delete the rubbish files when not needed.

Could you also include your WeiDU.log as well (should have asked for that first). Do you have IWDification install? I am sure the spell comes with that (never used SCS other than to install it into modfiles; will try it one day though).

Gus
    @Gusinda Unfortunately that will have to wait til Mon. :( I use the office computer and they close during the weekend.

And nope, I don't use any IWD mods at all. It was odd! Lol
    @Gusinda Hopefully you can figure out what I'm doing wrong. Thank you so much!! I'm aware you only use computer on weekends and I'm happy to wait until then. :) See you in a few days!
    @sbhaalspawns, would you be able to upload the modfile as well? If it is larger than 50MB, you could use Google Drive, One Drive or Zippyshare (or most of those sharefiles sites). I am unsure where you are and in some countries, Zippyshare has been banned. I just use Google Drive these days (where I need to anyway).

Thanks
    Gus
    @Gusinda By modfile do you mean override folder?
    HI @sbhaalspawns, the modfile should contain the override folder and dialog.tlk under your language (lang\en_US\dialog.tlk). It is the one used to unpack when copying all the mods over to your device.

Hope that makes sense. If not, just let me know.
    Gus
    Oh, right. From the preparation section in your guide. Sorry I totally blanked out for a sec there. I will upload them to Google Drive (already have override folder uploaded so just dialog.tlk now). I should have it ready in around 30ish mins.
    Hi @sbhaalspawns, all good for the Google Drive.

Try this. I rebuilt the modfile to exactly what your install was. It appears to not have the strange names for spells shown when selecting... If this works on your device, then we will need to look at the procedure being used. The WeiDU.log can be used to check.

Just to make sure, the installation procedure is a follows:

- Make sure any remnents of the last modfile have gone. Delete lang.zip and override folder, and as part of the test, rename the folder 'save' to 'save.old' (or if nothing is in it, just delete to start fresh). You can rename it back again when the test is complete.
    - Download the attached file (~14 MB, which unbelievably expands out to ~537MB)
    - Unpack into Game.../Files using RAR for Android. Tried my File Manager (FX) but it didn't like unpacking all; not sure why. Mkae sure that the modfile itself is not located in the game folder. Perhaps leave it in the 'downloads' folder for the moment.
    - That should leave you with:

../Files/overide (folder)
    ../Files/baldur.lua (File)
    ../Files/lang-en_US.zip (File)
    and other misc folders like 'portraits' and 'save.old'

Don't unpack 'lang-en_US.zip' as it is treated with centralfix.
    - Close down RAR and give the game a try.

Let me know how it goes and, if it works, we can look at the procedure. You can see the difference inside 'lang-en_US.zip' which contains a few extra files (same as the one downloaded earlier). If it doesn't work, let me know what your device is and current version of OS.

All the best
    Gus
    Okay, everything looks great so far. This is usually where I get my first "invalid- numbers" error. I think whatever you did, did the trick. Not sure what I did wrong though.. but I'm definitely storing the zipped modfile somewhere safe so I have access to it in the future. I appreciate it @Gusinda. Now I just gotta figure out what I did wrong..

I'd been following your guide on uh.. page.. 9? I think.

r4jbnh02995q.jpg
    Just double checked, it is indeed on page 9. The last comment on that page. Is the guide I followed. :)
    Now for me to suffer through this hellish game.. :) shall be a lot of fun dying 20 times in Chateau Irencius. The joys! Thank you so much, man.
    edited July 2020
    Hi @sbhaalspawns, that's great. The guide posted is slightly out of date in the sense that you no longer have to rebuild the .obb file to remove dialog.tlk. It also doesn't contain the addition folders to create when some problems occur. Although I have promised to redo the document, it was going to be after the 2.6 release... When I get time (which is difficult with the lockdown), I will update it to my current method.

In the meantime, have a look at this post. Keep in mind the out of date document as the fundamentals are the still relevant.

Hope that makes sense and enjoy the game!
    Gus
    Ahh, okay. I didn't see that post I think. My bad. Thank you again, it's been smooth sailing. I'm currently level 19 Sorcerer, in the Planar Sphere (demon realm hunting down hearts). Had some reloads but it's been mostly no issues, just had to change my playstyle a bit to accord for the difficulty spike. Had absolutely zero issues with the game itself in terms of invalids etc.
    Attempted to do the Planar Prison part earlier when I was level 17ish but whew.. was too difficult as a solo Sorc. But now that I have Time Stop+Planetar+Imp Alacrity I will give it another shot after the Sphere. :)
  • HarryDuBoisHarryDuBois Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2020
    Hey, @Gusinda
    You're truly a savior. I would like a modfile too :) I could try making one myself but you're very experienced in this so I wanted to ask you for one.

For Baldur Gate 1 2.5.17.0:

1. Any mod that enhances the UI and the font if possible, by making it look sharper and all. Since 2.5 update, the UI is HORRIBLE and the font is blurry as heck. So any mod that fixes that and that is compatible with the Android version will do fine. I would install the 1.3 version but I want the lesser bugs possible.
    2. Unfinished business + spanish translation by Clandlan: http://academia.clandlan.net/?page=academia/view&id=104&title=BG1_Unfinished_Business Use Google translator, click on spanish audio and follow the instructions there.
    3. BG1 Classic Movies

That's all :)
    Post edited by HarryDuBois on
  • HarryDuBoisHarryDuBois Member Posts: 2
    Oh, and these ones too, @Gusinda :smile:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/76375/android-bg1ee-2-5-17-0-bgsod-2-5-17-0-bg2ee-2-6-16-6-modfiles
    The ones for BG1, all of them and all components :blush:
    Hi @HarryDuBois, and welcome to the forum.

I have sent you a PM requesting some further info. When I upload the modfile, I will create a new discussion as the request doesn't really fit into the 'How To' thread.

All the best
    Gus
  • JalerymJalerym Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2020
    (Edit) Well I figured it out. I just had to read the directions given and unzip the modfile. I had it in my files folders as a zip and everything else worked.

So first I wanted to say to @Gusinda and everyone here that this is amazing and it has breathed new life into BG on my android device. I have a strange problem though. Literally every mod that I installed works. But what seems to happen is that on some of the quests added in is that it doesn't load the background of the area. If I click on the map it shows the boundaries but is just a black screen with my characters on it. Has anyone else run across this. I assumed that any area files would have been added into the override folder. A specific instance is the new dungeon added under the firewine bridge that you get from the archeologist dude. I think that was added by dark side of the sword coast.
    Post edited by Jalerym on
  • dragonitedragonite Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2020
    Please help.. I installed just two mods; cdtweaks-v9 and npc flirt mod (in korean). There are 'invalid' messages everywhere, especially when I talk to romance partner. I upload my modfile.zip. I hope you see this comment and help solving my problem.

Thanks!

Hi @dragonite, I had a look at your modfile and all seems to be good technically (can't read Korean so didn't test it on my device).

My guess is that the vanilla dialog.tlk is getting in the way and we need to block access. This is easy to do...

Block games access to dialog.tlk/dialogf.tlk:

- Make a backup of 'Android/obb/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition.obb' to anywhere not in its folder (this is just a safety measure so that if it goes wrong, you don't need to redownload it). If you don't have the space then that is fine and this step can be skipped. It just means a download later of the file if anything goes wrong. (xxx = a number)

- Install 'RAR for Android' if you don't have it (free in the Google Play store). I know this one works, not sure about other compression software.
    - Open RAR and navigate to 'Android/obb/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/'
    - Long press on 'patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition.obb' and rename to 'patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition.obb.zip'
    - Short press on 'patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition.obb.zip' which should open the file allowing you to look at the contents. If it asks which program to use, then direct it to RAR.
    - navigate to '/lang/ko_KR/', long press on 'dialog.tlk' and rename to 'dialog.klt' (it can be anything as long as it follows the xxxxxx.xxx naming rule. I just reverse the extension so that I know what it was...).
    - Do the same for dialogf.tlk to dialogf.klt (if it exists - I can see it doesn't for you but I am also making this generic for others that might have the same prob).
    - let RAR save the renaming (it takes a little while but you can see when it is finished by looking at the bottom of the app window, it will revert back to the long file name). This method should not change the size of the .obb at all.
    - Back out of 'patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition.obb.zip' so that you again see the whole file.
    - Rename 'patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition.obb.zip' back to 'patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition.obb' (this is often forgotten; if the game starts to try and redownload the .obb, this is the first place to look for a fix)
    - That ends the adjustment for the .obb

- Navigate to 'Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/', either by RAR or your normal File Manager. Install your modfile.

- Make sure that 'lang-ko_KR.zip' is in the root sitting beside 'Baldur.lua'

You can now exit out of the File Manager / RAR and try and start the game. Hopefully all goes well this time.

If it doesn't start, could you let me know whether it doesn't attempt to start (ie: a quick open, then close straight away without any error messages) or it comes with a message that it couldn't start. If the game tries to redownload the .obb, it means that something went wrong with renaming dialog.tlk in the .obb. If that is the case, restart the device (so that the download will cancel), delete 'patch.xxx.com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition.obb', replace it with the backup and repeat the steps above.

Hopefully that will get you playing without the errors.

Let me know how you go and enjoy
    Gus
    edited November 2020
    @Gusinda, Thanks for your help.

Unfortunately, the problem goes on. The obb file consistently vanishes from my devise and re-download starts. I changed obb.zip to obb as you said, and there was no dialogf file in my obb file so I only changed dialog.tlk file to dialog.klt.

What should be my next move?

Thanks for your help!
    Post edited by dragonite on
    @Gusinda, I solved the problem. I just re-made the obb file that contains dialog.klt file, and moved it from my pc to device. It worked!

Thanks for your help!
    @dragonite, the .obb would have been most likely deleting itself due to a size problem (needs to be the left as exactly the same size). Would have recommended checking the sizes of before and after making the changes.

No need now... That was just there for and future fault finding by whoever.

Great to see you were able to work the problem on the PC.

Happy Gaming
    Gus
  • RizzenRizzen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Gusinda for all your support in this thread. First I used your uploaded android mod packs that you made for other users. After a while I started to do it myself with the help of your explanation. It worked very well. Now I am using project infinity and playing with a dozens of mods without any major problems so far. I even started to change some game files by my self. Thank you so much.
    I transfered quiet a lot of big override folders from my computer to my phone. By far the fastest way is using .rar without any compression (STORE, same as for the lang file). The extractaction is just so much faster on the phone with an uncompressed rar file.
    Thanks @Rizzen for your kind words and welcome to the forum. The true wizards out there are the ones who create the mods!

I do remember the agony of coping the override folder the first time from the PC and the length of time it took... hours! In saying that, there are no problems in compressing the file either. I do recall a modfile that went from ~600MB down to less than 50, also much better for uploading as well (particularly here where the upload file size limit is 50MB). Most file managers on Android can handle the compression quite nicely; but you are correct that it does unpack faster when not compressed.

All the best and happy gaming
    Gus
  • konvakonva Member Posts: 64
    Hey, I wanna ask, if I can just extract the lang file dialog.tlk to PC version, install mods using install tool and then just zip the dialog and override, centralfix it and then transfer the archive?
  • konvakonva Member Posts: 64
    @Gusinda hey, I just tried twice to mod IWD on mobile... I got some issues. If you can look here please:
    xcfapg13o7ts.jpg
    Did everything you described in page 9. Another issue is that mine small mod adds some mobs, which do not have names. When I install my mod on PC it works fine. Weidu attached. Thank you for some insight what went wrong.
    Hi @konva, it is likely that the vanilla dialog.tlk is clashing with the modded version. You would just need to remove access to the vanilla one. Have a look in this thread for the instructions.

Hopefully that will get you playing the game. Let me know how you go; if it is still a problem, then upload the modfile and I will take a look.

Gus