Skip to content

[How to] Install mods on Android

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @mashedtaters, haven't seen that before. I am running currently Windows10 (20H2) and have been using centralfix since my Windows8 days. Never had the Firewall; Windows Defender or Firefox (who complains the most about these things) flag it... I don't use Kaspersky though.

I also have various monitors running all the time which shows the CPU usage and files that are running. Never once has centralfix overstayed it's runtime. It quickly does the job and goes away. I also have a Network Monitor running which shows me if my PC is being used to access the Internet and if I know that I am not, I use Resourse Monitor (type in RESMON at your command prompt/Run) to have a quick check. If you are having any problems, you can use Process Monitor (from SysInternals Suite) to have a look and see what might be causing it, or if the file lingers. It is similar to Task Manager expanded but more in depth.

I redownloaded just then and passed it through VirusTotal and it only shows 1 vendor (out of 68) that flags the file show it contains 'Trojan.GenAsa!/25V7tFu0kc'. Interestingly, Kaspersky gives it a clean bill of health. I would say a False Positive.

You should be able to use a filter in the Firewall to prevent it's deletion.

Hope that helps
    Gus
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Ok thanks I appreciate your quick response, @Gusinda . I'll flag it as safe and move on.
    @Gusinda BTW, would you mind posting a link to the file you're downloading? I think I have the right one here, but there are several different locations where it has been linked. Thanks again. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/633000/#Comment_633000
    Hi @mashedtaters, yeah thats the one.

Gus
    edited April 2021
    not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. I have installed several mods, but not a lot. I can install bg1npc individually correctly. And I can install tweaks anothology individually correctly.
    But once I add in others and them combine them, I start getting invalid strings. Maybe my load order is off? I don't think it is. It's very strange. I am clearly doing the transfer correctly because I can get each of those mods to work separately and they're major overhauls.
    Here is my weidu log for the incorrectly working modfile. Maybe my load order is off...?
    Unfortunately, I don't have a 2.5.17.0 version of the game on my PC, or I could test it there. Is there any way I can transfer the whole game from my android to my PC to start doing some tests?
    edited April 2021
    @mashedtaters, if you setup an Android emulator, you would be able to install from your standard account and play the game that way. I use 2 different; LDPlayer64 and MEmu. You could also use Bluestacks (which I will be trying out in about a months time... use to run it years ago but I read that it is much better now). I use MEmu for Android v4.4.x stuff but it does have an updated version and LDPlayer64 for Android v7.1.2.

Had a quick look at your WeiDU.log and no probs with mod order there. If you want to upload the modfile, I can have a looksee. Does the game still have access to the vanilla dialog.tlk?

Gus

Edit: I created a modfile based on your WeiDU.log and had no problems running the modfile on PC or on Android. My only test was to create a PC, then speak to Imoen after Gorion's death and after she was in the party. If that is fine for your modfile, where is it showing invalid text?

Here is a download
    of it if you want to test. WeiDU.log attached

Gus
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    wow that really works. I realized I had not been ordering the mod paths incorrectly. I also had not been extracting the contents using rar for android.
    So question: do I need to centralfix the override folder as well as the lang folder? Or do I just central fix the lang file?
    And does the lang file need to be zipped within the zip?
    and does the lang zip need to be unzipped on android?
    thanks so much for doing that for me gusinda, I really appreciate it.
    I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I unzip your file on my android and it works. I unzip mine, using the same structure, with copying dialog.tlk to dialogf.tlk, and i get invalid strings when initiating a conversation to imoen.
    Maybe you could walk through the current steps on applying centralfix? I must not be getting that correctly.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 330
    @mashedtaters If my suggestion is wrong disregard, but isn’t dialogf.tlk supposed to be dialog.tlk keeping parameters as such: xxxxxx.xxx and renaming original dialog.tlk to something like gojira.yea?
    Allanon81 wrote: »
    @mashedtaters If my suggestion is wrong disregard, but isn’t dialogf.tlk supposed to be dialog.tlk keeping parameters as such: xxxxxx.xxx and renaming original dialog.tlk to something like gojira.yea?

I'm assuming that my game does still have access to the original dialog.tlk file as I haven't changed anything in the .obb file. But then I'm confused as to why @Gusinda 's modfile works when I unpack it on my android but my modfile doesn't work.
    edited April 2021
    Hi @mashedtaters, when using centralfix.exe, it is the file that contains dialog.tlk that needs to be applied to. If you have built your lang.zip file (in an uncompressed [store only] container .zip file), then if you package the override folder after that, then there is no need to apply centralfix. The packaged file is only for moving the modfile to Android, otherwise copying the override folder from PC to Android takes an eon.

If you are building inside your android device and you have access to the override folder with your file manager, then there is no need to 'zip' it up, you can copy it directly.

When creating lang.zip, you need to make sure that the paths are set as they should be in game (ie: Game\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk) and the .zip file is 'uncompressed' or 'Store only' so it would be the same size as it is on disk. It must be a .zip file. Also, with copying dialog.tlk into the lang\en_US folder, this isn't renaming it to dialogf.tlk but adding another copy of dialog.tlk and renaming that one to dialogf.tlk. This means that you have 2 copies of dialog.tlk (dialog.tlk and dialogf.tlk) in the lang/en_US folder prior to creating lang.zip.

---

Just to add some further complication (probably simplification actually)... If you have renamed dialog.tlk to dialog.klt inside your patch.obb, then you don't have to apply centralfix to lang.zip. As long as it follows the paths set for override folders, then you can unpack the entire modfile and run it as if it were on PC.

eg: If you have built a modfile creation area on PC using the Android .obbs, installed all the mods you want aligned with your WeiDU.log, then moved the files into the zip location, you can zip the lot with compression, then unpack it all on your device.

On PC you have in your _Modfile creation folder after installing mods:

BG1EE Android\_Modfile\
    BG1EE Android\_Modfile\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk [modified]
    BG1EE Android\_Modfile\lang\en_US\sounds [any added .wav files due to S9SOUNDSETSVOL2]
    BG1EE Android\_Modfile\override [the rest]
    BG1EE Android\_Modfile\scripts [any scripts that may have been added]

You can .zip up the entire package into modfile.zip (can be compressed), copy over to device not into your game folder. Using your file manager or RAR for Android, unpack modfile.zip into your game folder leaving you with:

Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/lang/en_US/dialog.tlk
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/lang/en_US/sounds
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/override
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/scripts
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/baldur.lua

You should be able to run the game now.

I have tested that on my device (Samsung Tab S) this morning and it worked fine, hopefully it will play the same for you.

---

@Allanon81: With your dialogf.tlk question, it should be dialogf.tlk. This reflects how the file (dialogf.tlk - have a look in lang\de_DE as an example) was being read using a language other than English. The parameters set in renaming dialog.tlk inside patch.obb was to keep patch.obb exactly the same size it was initially so that the game doesn't believe that it was corrupt, delete it and start downloading again.

Hope all that makes sense and the game plays with no errors.
    Gus

Edit: directed response for last question to correct forumite
    @mashedtaters, the most common faults for lang.zip mot playing the game are:
    - pathing incorrect within the .zip file
    - lang.zip being compressed
    - centralfix not appied
    - the modfile being left in the game folder which can be read by the game (particularly if it is a .zip file)

If you want to upload your lang.zip file, I can have a look and see if it is a prob.

Gus
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 330
    @mashedtaters @Gusinda Whoa what you can build your own mod with Android without PC now?
    @Allanon81, yeah, @2k16daniel is working on perfecting the method. I have tried some and it looks promising. The link is the start of the discussion with the procedure a little after that.

Can't wait to sit down and give it a whirl from scratch, but I can't see that occuring until after I come back from a caravanning trip of a couple of months (return sometime in August). If you give it a bash, I will be keen on hearing how you go.

Gus
    Gusinda wrote: »
    Hi @mashedtaters, when using centralfix.exe, it is the file that contains dialog.tlk that needs to be applied to. If you have built your lang.zip file (in an uncompressed [store only] container .zip file), then if you package the override folder after that, then there is no need to apply centralfix. The packaged file is only for moving the modfile to Android, otherwise copying the override folder from PC to Android takes an eon.

If you are building inside your android device and you have access to the override folder with your file manager, then there is no need to 'zip' it up, you can copy it directly.

When creating lang.zip, you need to make sure that the paths are set as they should be in game (ie: Game\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk) and the .zip file is 'uncompressed' or 'Store only' so it would be the same size as it is on disk. It must be a .zip file. Also, with copying dialog.tlk into the lang\en_US folder, this isn't renaming it to dialogf.tlk but adding another copy of dialog.tlk and renaming that one to dialogf.tlk. This means that you have 2 copies of dialog.tlk (dialog.tlk and dialogf.tlk) in the lang/en_US folder prior to creating lang.zip.

---

Just to add some further complication (probably simplification actually)... If you have renamed dialog.tlk to dialog.klt inside your patch.obb, then you don't have to apply centralfix to lang.zip. As long as it follows the paths set for override folders, then you can unpack the entire modfile and run it as if it were on PC.

eg: If you have built a modfile creation area on PC using the Android .obbs, installed all the mods you want aligned with your WeiDU.log, then moved the files into the zip location, you can zip the lot with compression, then unpack it all on your device.

On PC you have in your _Modfile creation folder after installing mods:

BG1EE Android\_Modfile\
    BG1EE Android\_Modfile\lang\en_US\dialog.tlk [modified]
    BG1EE Android\_Modfile\lang\en_US\sounds [any added .wav files due to S9SOUNDSETSVOL2]
    BG1EE Android\_Modfile\override [the rest]
    BG1EE Android\_Modfile\scripts [any scripts that may have been added]

You can .zip up the entire package into modfile.zip (can be compressed), copy over to device not into your game folder. Using your file manager or RAR for Android, unpack modfile.zip into your game folder leaving you with:

Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/lang/en_US/dialog.tlk
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/lang/en_US/sounds
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/override
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/scripts
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateiienhancededition/files/baldur.lua

You should be able to run the game now.

I have tested that on my device (Samsung Tab S) this morning and it worked fine, hopefully it will play the same for you.

---

@Allanon81: With your dialogf.tlk question, it should be dialogf.tlk. This reflects how the file (dialogf.tlk - have a look in lang\de_DE as an example) was being read using a language other than English. The parameters set in renaming dialog.tlk inside patch.obb was to keep patch.obb exactly the same size it was initially so that the game doesn't believe that it was corrupt, delete it and start downloading again.

Hope all that makes sense and the game plays with no errors.
    Gus

Edit: directed response for last question to correct forumite
    Gusinda wrote: »
    @Allanon81, yeah, @2k16daniel is working on perfecting the method. I have tried some and it looks promising. The link is the start of the discussion with the procedure a little after that.

Can't wait to sit down and give it a whirl from scratch, but I can't see that occuring until after I come back from a caravanning trip of a couple of months (return sometime in August). If you give it a bash, I will be keen on hearing how you go.

Gus

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! It works!!
    THANK YOU SO MUCH, @Gusinda !!!!!!

I am pretty certain something was going on with centralfix. I don't know what it was or why it wasn't working for me. But I decided to extract and then delete a non-centralfixed mod.zip file into the android directory, and I then changed the name of my dialog.tlk in my .obb directory and it works!!!!!

Thanks for sticking with me, again. You have been so great. Can I get you a coffee or something?

I just had the thought that I also wasn't deleting the .zip mod file in my directory, but when I dropped yours in I didn't have that problem even though I didn't delete your modfile.

I'm currently using a non-zipped lang folder. Everything works perfect.
    edited April 2021
    I'm going to write the general steps that worked for me here in case I need to come back for the other games, or in case someone else wants to see the general procedure. This doesn't appear to need centralfix.

1. Start and save a game on your android device. Then copy and then extract the .obb files from your android device onto a place your computer, starting with main......obb then patch......obb (allowing patch to overwrite main). If you are confused how to do this, the first post on this thread goes through exactly how to.
    2. Create a backup of the directory on your pc that you just created.
    3. Install the mods you want this directory using the normal procedure your usually would with weidu mods.
    4. Copy the override folder and lang/en_US/dialog.tlk folder into a a new folder that we will refer to as the modfile. You may also need to bring over the scripts folder depending on what mods you installed. (Sounds may also be installed in the lang/en_us/sounds folder, so bring those over too if you installed sounds mods).
    5. (Now you have 3 locations we are working with on your pc... backup, modded, and this modfile folder)
    6. In the modfile folder location, navigate to lang/en_US and copy and past dialog.tlk and rename the new copy to dialogf.tlk. You should now have two files in this location, dialogf.tlk and dialog.tlk. (This will be different if you're using a different language.)
    7. Run 7z in the modfile folder and store the contents of that entire folder (override and lang and whatever else you brought over) without compression (STORE) into a zip file.
    8. Copy the zip file onto your android device to android/data/com.beamdog/(gamename)/files/
    9. Download rar for android from the google play store. Then use it to navigate to the directory on your android device that you just dropped your modfile.zip into.
    10. Use the rar app to "extract here" the contents of the modfile.zip to the files directory. In that files directory on android, you should have uncompressed folders of override and lang, along with save and portraits. Then use the app to delete modfile.zip.
    11. Use the app to navigate to the .obb files where you copied the game from originally.
    12. Rename the extension of the patch.....obb file to a patch......zip file so you can navigate its contents using the rar app.
    13. Navigate within that renamed directory to lang/en_us/dialog.tlk and use the app to rename it to dialog.klt (or something else, doesn't matter what).
    14. Use the rar app to navigate back to the patch....zip file and rename it back to patch......obb
    15. Now you should be able to run the game with your mods installed!

What do you think of these steps, @Gusinda ? It's just a general rundown that supplements all your hard work and effort, and thank you so much for taking the time I truly appreciate it!!!
    Hi @mashedtaters, great news in getting it going. Thanks for the coffee, it was indeed very tasty.

In general, all looks good. You may need to expand on some points in your notes just so you remember why you do these things. Well I do as I am old and dottering :smile:

Just some comments below:

2. For the backup folder of the .obbs. If you are running out of space, then you only need to have a backup of those folders that are being modified such as /lang/dialog.tlk, /lang/sounds, /scripts, /music (if the mod does it), etc. I don't think I have ever had a mod that changes the /data folder so that is a couple of gig that can be saved. I use a batch file that cleans up old mods and restores the game folder to 'new'. Once your aware of what the mods do, you can easily save some space. If you don't have problems with drive space, then just unread what I have said here...

4. There are other folders that mods install into as well. /music, /movies, /scrpts and /sounds (as well as /lang/sounds) come to mind.

6. My immediate guess is that you wont need to create a copy of the dialog.tlk to create dialogf.tlk using this procedure. Haven't tested it but with the vanilla dialog.tlk out of the picture, then the game should play well without dialogf.tlk in place.

7. Make sure the lang.zip file is named as a .zip

10. Sometimes (particularly if you are testing various modfiles) you may not want to delete the modfile after extraction. I generally keep the modfile on my device (for games that I am playing) until after I have either completed or restartis gets in the way. This way I can quickly revert a test modfile back to my game; I actuall rename the folders being used by me but the modfile is there in case. The only thing you need to make sure is that the modfile is not stored in the 'Files' folder. I generally place them into the folder above files; ie: android/data/com.beamdog.(gamename)

11. You can also do this without renaming the .obb to a .zip. Just use RAR for Android to navigate to obb folder, long press on patch.obb and 'open as archive'.

Hope that helps and makes some steps a little easier.

No problems with the assist. What is knowledge if it isn't passed on to the inquisitive.

Enjoy
    Gus
    @Gusinda hey is there a way to combine the BGEE and SoD to make them into one game on android? I've come across some mods lately that appear to require the SoD expansion. Not a big deal, I just went into the mod and deleted the SoD requirements in the mod's text files, seems like a little bit of an oversight by the mod author. I confess I haven't played SoD yet, so I don't even know if they're one game on PC or not. I have purchased it though.
    I wonder if it would be enough to just unpack the SoD .obb files into the same directory as the bg .obb files and then repackage it back onto the android. Hmm now I'm thinking.
    Hi @mashedtaters, I wouldn't combine as the both the chiten.key files are different and it appears that the SOD chitin doesn't all of BG1EE included. You might be able to get away with the dialog.tlk with the vanilla out of the way.

On PC, the DLC is stored in a .zip file when installed. When unpacked for modding, it is unpacked across the games folders which --most-- of the 'data' folder being stored in a new folder called 'sod-dlc'. The DLC has a mod.key instead of a chitin.key in the .zip, when merged, both tools (tools to merge the DLC with the game to allow for modding), 'DLCMerger' and 'modmerge' merge the original chitin.key and mod.key into a single chitin.key. This key is larger than the Android SOD chitin.key... You could have a look at DLCMerger to seee how/what it does to the chitin.key to merge. I have tried in the past to use the PC version of chitin.key when using the .obbs to create an Android modfile area but without success :(.

What I did for installing mods into Andoird SoD was to unpack the compete package of SoD into its own modding area. Install the mods first on to BG1EE, then copy the 'override' files over to the SoD folder, then reinstall the mods. This gives you the files that the mod may need for SoD. There will be a number of redundant files that would only be used by BG1EE only but it will allow SoD to be played modded and doesn't take that much space.

As far as a mod installing onto BG1EE which has a requirement for SoD to be installed as well, I haven't met any of those, but if you know what files are being edited (mostly by the error messge I am guessing), you could use Nearinfinity on SoD and extract the files then copy them into the override folder for BG1EE.

Hope that helps
    Gus
    Hey everyone I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately and thanks again to @Gusinda especially for all the help and guidance.
    This may not be an android problem, but I am not having any luck finding any information on this anywhere. Has anyone here had this problem where the in-game settings for autopause on trap found won't stay the same after changing it?
    I have this issue where in the autopause section of the in game options, I can only enable autopause for traps when center on autopause is enabled: in fact, when I enable center on autopause, it automatically enables traps found autopause for me; but it also enables spellcast on autopause. I cannot disable spellcast on autopause unless I disable center autopause which then disables traps autopause. Ive never seen the game behave this way. Kind of annoying, because I never play with spellcast autopause enabled. I don't need the game pausing every half second during combat, but its very nice to have the game paused when a trap is found.
    I tried looking in the .lua file, but the only thing in there is about autopause state with an integer and no description. The number is usually 657 or 124.
  • 2k16daniel2k16daniel Member Posts: 14
    @mashedtaters

Are u using Pocket-ui or any UI mod? it happens to me too , just remove your UI mod temporary (by renaming override folder) and then you can now set autopause inside of game. then rename back your override folder to original one.
    @2k16daniel Yeah, I am using pocketplay mod. I will try that if what I did doesn't work, thank you. I went to my pc game and found the autopause state integer of 1169 and entered that number into my android .lua autopause state.
    Allanon81 wrote: »
    @mashedtaters @Gusinda Whoa what you can build your own mod with Android without PC now?

@Allanon81

Hello how are you?
    Yes u can try it , I've successfully installed some of mods using it , but beware of install order or you'll end up in invalid id or mixed dialogs.
    edited May 2021
    Hello everyone

So after reading bout 247 issues , I decided to make a build for 246 cause weidu 247 breaks many things. Good news is that I'll no longer need to link binary statically (it cause parsing problem on some mod like Assassination) cause i successfully compiled the ocaml from source natively in android (without using any proot distro.) So yea thankyou all for your support!
    Post edited by 2k16daniel on
    edited May 2021
    Hello everyone!

I made new build for android arm64 (sorry arm32 users , I only had tools for arm64 as of now :( )

You can download it Here

I also made a build for devel branch.
    (I recommend devel coz it contain fixes for 247.)

PS: I can't build the v246 due to latest ocaml I had. Since termux binutils was updated , I can no longer build old ocaml for my device :(

Have a great day!
  • FouintoFouinto Member Posts: 22
    Hi,

I still enjoy to play BG1EE and BG2EE on my mobile everyday (or such) with few mods and this is possible thanks to you (I was unable to fix the lang problem but Tweaks Anthology is a must have for me and touch lang VERY lightly) !

BG1EE/BG2EE 2.6 are now available on Android mobiles, does it change something in the way to mod the game for mobiles ?

Same question about Android 11 ?

Best regards.
  • konvakonva Member Posts: 64
    edited January 2022
    Hello, im trying to figure out how to mod IWDEE on android.. the 2.6 one.. I have extracted files, prepared mod file, placed mod file sucessfully but cant manage to modify patch.obb. If I extract from mobile, usually i am able to simply rename dialog.tlk to force use of dialog from modfile. But when I do this, now the modified archive is bigger than original.
    I have trouble extracting the modfile now into data/gamefolder/files .. only way to enter it is via PC, but transferring unzipped file takes ages :D I can access also to rar there but cant extract there.

Managed to find a way to extract the modfile.zip into data... but, launching the game causes crash. I modified the patch.obb and its file dialog.tlk so I can force use the modded one, while keeping the original game files "instact" in terms of size, so it wont redownload. But all time the data folder in adroid keeps "deleting" its content and locks the folder so I cant create anything new there. Btw tested the override and dialog on PC version, this one seems working but need more tests. How to make modded EE games work on android nowadays?
    Post edited by konva on
    Hi @konva, I have found that a crash on startup can occur if there is a duplicate dialog.tlk (in your case it might be the unpacked version and the .zip version). If you still have your modfile.zip in the root folder of the game, then move it into a separate folder.It could also be there is no dialog.tlk to look at (meaning that the delete that is happening removes the content first). Before modding the patch.obb, did you start the game first to create all the folders? With a new install, I usually start the game, generate a test character and save it. I can then delete it and carry on modding. Another thought for the deletions... it might be a permissions thing. How are you placing the content into the /Files folder (and is the game closed when you copy the content in)? If that wasn't the problem, then would you be able to send me your modfile and wiedu.log and I can have a look, assuming it isn't to big?

Had another thought on crashing. I have also had crashes if there are files in the override folder that have a name more then 8.3 in length (not all the time but it has happened and reducing the file name length has allowed the game to get past start).

For yourself and @Fouinto, I have modded 2.6.x on Android 11 using that same method but I am in the process on streamlining the method and rewriting the instructions. This is while I am prepping my house for sale so it may be delayed... but the latest method for 2.5.x still works.

With Android 11, you may need to take the patch.obb out of the /obb paths due to permissions (I copy it to a folder I create [/BG] in the root folder of main storage), modify it and copy it back. Hope that helps @Fouinto ...

Happy Gaming
    Gus