Skip to content

Throwing Axe +2 best ranged weapon?!

I just fled from Candlekeep after wiping Prat and his buddies and found myself a Throwing Axe +2 in my possessions. So I gave it to my main CHAR who has no pip in axes just to, you know, test it and I was stupefied at the amount of damage this crazy little thing dealt. I mean, just take a look at this:

Even without the critical hit, it was dealing an average of 18-20 damage per hit. If I were to give this to a dwarf fighter with grandmastery in axes and some pots of strength, is he gonna cheese the whole game?!

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    What's that bloody looking goblet and where do you find it?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    It's the best ranged weapon for a Crusader that's for sure!
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Throwing weapons (daggers, axes, slings and the occasional hammer) add strength bonuses to damage. So yeah, the numbers can get quite scary if your strength is high.
  • johntyljohntyl Member Posts: 397
    @Sylvus_Moonbow It's called Durlag's Goblet (http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Durlag's_Goblet). It's a cursed item from Durlag's Tower found on the second level of Durlag's Labyrinth. Heals you to full health but makes you go crazy. I combo-ed it with the Greenstone Amulet (this: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Greenstone_Amulet) to counter the magical fear infused in the Goblet ;)
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    Hey, thanks brave warrior @johntyl that's a great way to work around the curse it gives by wearing the amulet. :smiley:
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    You definitely won't cheese the whole game that way, since you can't get it until the end of Chapter 6. Also, I don't think grand mastery is possible in the latest version of BGEE at all...

For a character with high strength, throwing daggers are even crazier, since they are the only weapon that gets both a strength bonus and 2 base APR. Without any other equipment, a level 8 half-orc Kensai can throw three daggers per round for 1d4+13 damage each, averaging 46.5 total.
    joluv said:

For a character with high strength, throwing daggers are even crazier, since they are the only weapon that gets both a strength bonus and 2 base APR. Without any other equipment, a level 8 half-orc Kensai can throw three daggers per round for 1d4+13 damage each, averaging 46.5 total.

That's crazy too, but there aren't any magical throwing daggers in Bgee, are there? What makes this throwing axe +2 more awesome is that it returns back to you --> unlimited ammo :)

Hey, thanks brave warrior @johntyl that's a great way to work around the curse it gives by wearing the amulet. :smiley:

You have to actually use a charge from the amulet, and then drink the goblet. Both of these items have limited charges but you can always sell and buy them back :D
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    Yulaw9460 said:

Wearing Kiel's Helmet should also negate the fear curse from Durlag's Goblet. Being a Cavalier grants immunity to fear as well, but I've yet to try it to see if that works. I don't really see why not, though. If the description says "Immune to fear", I suppose that means all fear, even curses.

Be that as it may, the number of truly powerful magical helmets in BG is low, so that particular helmet should have no trouble finding a spot in a party, which would make the wearer of it the most likely candidate for the Goblet as well, IMO...

Yah, my CHAR was wearing Kiel's Helmet previously but then I found Helm of Balduran which is too good not to bestow it to my main char, which explains my choice to use the Greenstone Amulet.
  • FrancoisFrancois Member Posts: 452
    edited September 2015
    Yulaw9460 said:

Being a Cavalier grants immunity to fear as well, but I've yet to try it to see if that works. I don't really see why not, though. If the description says "Immune to fear", I suppose that means all fear, even curses.

It works for Dorn (Blackguard are also immune to fear), so it should work for cavalier.

I think the rate of throwing axe is lower than bows, so an archer with a good bow and +2 arrows will deal more damage per round. Plus arrows can be fire, acid, detonation, dispell, etc.

I checked an old save from a game and a lv7 elven archer with shortbow and arrows +2 has THACO of 0, 3 APR and 13-18 damage. So he almost never misses (unless the enemy has AC -10) and deals 39-54 damage/round.
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    edited September 2015
    Slightly off topic but about the goblet: Can blackguards use it without dealing with the curse? If so that's insane.

Nm, it was answered in a post above. And that's crazy, will try it out on a run someday.

Slightly off topic but about the goblet: Can blackguards use it without dealing with the curse? If so that's insane.

Yup, just checked it for you, Dorn was perfectly OK after drinking it. Insane indeed :)
    Balrog99 said:

It's the best ranged weapon for a Crusader that's for sure!

Crusader? What kit is that?
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Francois said:

Yulaw9460 said:

Being a Cavalier grants immunity to fear as well, but I've yet to try it to see if that works. I don't really see why not, though. If the description says "Immune to fear", I suppose that means all fear, even curses.

It works for Dorn (Blackguard are also immune to fear), so it should work for cavalier.

I think the rate of throwing axe is lower than bows, so an archer with a good bow and +2 arrows will deal more damage per round. Plus arrows can be fire, acid, detonation, dispell, etc.

I checked an old save from a game and a lv7 elven archer with shortbow and arrows +2 has THACO of 0, 3 APR and 13-18 damage. So he almost never misses (unless the enemy has AC -10) and deals 39-54 damage/round.
    So the break down there is:
    1d6 +2 arrows +2 bow +2 archer +4 high mastery +2 gloves = 13-18

Alternatively, a half Orc berserker or kensei with throwing daggers could have:
    1d4 +7 strength +2 kit +4 high mastery +2 gloves = 16-19

Which gives +6 damage per round extra on average. Additionally, DUHM and strength tome can add an extra 3 damage per hit bringing the total to a difference of 15 per round between the dagger thrower and the archer (THAC0 will be negligibly different as well).

The same on axe:
    1d6+2 +10 strength +2 kit +4 high mastery +2 gloves = 21-26 which gives 47 average per round compared to the archers 46.5 damage per round.

So the axe wins vs the archer! But not vs daggers. Some dual class builds like assassin -> fighter will beat the builds above due to GM but that's getting a bit too specific for my taste.

TL:DR:
    Thrown Dagger > Thrown Axe +2 > Archer w/short bow +2 and +2 arrows

Don't forget whatever damage you would get from whatever arrow you use: fire, acid, biting, etc. Throwing axes are great for when your tank needs to go ranged, but I don't think they beat the versatility and damage of a bow overall. For a similar amount of damage I think it's better to spread it on more APR (for spell failure, mirror image and stoneskin, etc.).
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Francois said:

Don't forget whatever damage you would get from whatever arrow you use: fire, acid, biting, etc. Throwing axes are great for when your tank needs to go ranged, but I don't think they beat the versatility and damage of a bow overall. For a similar amount of damage I think it's better to spread it on more APR (for spell failure, mirror image and stoneskin, etc.).

We included +2 arrows into the calculation. Other arrows are great but they often offer a save, are in short supply or are situational.

Arrows of Detonation are of course the beez knees of ranged weapons but they are better off in the hands of an assassin or a blackguard due to the AoE poison application.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the throwing axe +2 is definitely the best ranged weapon in icewind dale, especially if you start as a swashbuckler then dual class over to fighter, absolutely wicked :)
    It's true, but by the time you get that throwing axe you probably have enough gold to buy all the arrows in the game and all the magic wands you want to pummel your enemies. My original point was that the throwing axe is not a game breaker in term of damage or strategy.

But I didn't know the poison applied to the fireball from arrows of detonation!
    sarevok57 said:

the throwing axe +2 is definitely the best ranged weapon in icewind dale

Hammer Bow, anyone? In general, all the extra APR longbows in that game are pretty amazing.
    Francois said:

But I didn't know the poison applied to the fireball from arrows of detonation!

Fire seeds, too!
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Wowo said:

Francois said:

We included +2 arrows into the calculation. Other arrows are great but they often offer a save, are in short supply or are situational.

Arrows of Detonation are of course the beez knees of ranged weapons but they are better off in the hands of an assassin or a blackguard due to the AoE poison application.
    I did not know this either. That's nuts!
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The thing with arrows is that some of them have unique addons:

arrows of dispelling
    arrows of detonation
    arrows of slaying
    arrows of biting

Axes indeed inflict more damage but you need those arrows in especially tough encounters (such as the Sarevok fight of even the Iron Throne fight)
  • SmilingSwordSmilingSword Member Posts: 827
    edited September 2015
    I think the Sling +3 from Durlags Tower is better. Using +2 bullets you get 1 more damage than the +2 throwing axe and still gain the str bonus.
    Post edited by SmilingSword on
    Not forgetting if you use sling or throwing axe, you can equip Kiel's Buckler which offers a +1 to dexterity and hence a +1 to-hit rolls with missile weapons? Also with sword and shied style, plus a shield, would these additional benefits make throwing daggers/slings/throwing axes more favourable for overall range play?
  • I'd still give archers the nod in BGEE for two reasons: Quality of Life and Ammo.

You don't get a magical returning axe until very late in BGEE, and throwing daggers are a pain to manage in your inventory and are very heavy. Meanwhile, excellent bows and crossbows are available very early, and you can actually use the quiver slots to make your inventory a bit cleaner.

And then there's the ammo. In BGEE, Acid Arrows add 2d6 acid damage with no save for an extra 7 damage on average, and you have a variety of useful utility arrows.

(One shouldn't discount crossbows either, as The Army Scythe firing Bolts of Lightning is nothing to sneeze at.)

This flips around in BG2EE, because apparently Amnish fletchers aren't very good; elemental arrows do much less damage (acid arrows only add 1d3 instead of 2d6), utility arrows are much less common, and enchanted arrows have lost their damage bonuses entirely. Meanwhile, you can get a magical throwing axe from Ribald or the Temple Sewers, the Boomerang Dagger from the Bridge District, and now you can even import a +3 Sling if you've a mind to.

On Kiel's Buckler: It all depends on where your Dex is at. Going from 19 to 20 gives you nothing but thieving skill adjustments. If you start with an 18 and use the Tome of Dex, the buckler isn't going to help you aside from the AC bump. 20-21 gives you a boost to AC and ranged attack rolls, though, so if you wanted to make a Halfling or Elf thrower/slinger, that could be fun if you're willing to lose the Strength of a half-orc.
    johntyl said:

Also with sword and shied style, plus a shield, would these additional benefits make throwing daggers/slings/throwing axes more favourable for overall range play?

Sword and shield style bonuses only apply when you're wielding a melee weapon.
    joluv said:

johntyl said:

Also with sword and shied style, plus a shield, would these additional benefits make throwing daggers/slings/throwing axes more favourable for overall range play?

But throwing axe+2 can be wielded as a melee weapon too.
    Kaigen said:

On Kiel's Buckler: It all depends on where your Dex is at. Going from 19 to 20 gives you nothing but thieving skill adjustments. If you start with an 18 and use the Tome of Dex, the buckler isn't going to help you aside from the AC bump. 20-21 gives you a boost to AC and ranged attack rolls, though, so if you wanted to make a Halfling or Elf thrower/slinger, that could be fun if you're willing to lose the Strength of a half-orc.

I think the strength of the half-orc is easily substituted with the many strength-boosting items or potions in the game, whereas dexterity-increasing items/potions (you don't see any many potions increasing ur dex to say 24) are uncommon. So I would gladly go for Elf/halfling :)
    johntyl said:

joluv said:

johntyl said:

Yep. If you're wielding it as a melee weapon, you get the bonus. As a throwing axe, you don't.
    joluv said:

johntyl said:

joluv said:

johntyl said:

Yep. If you're wielding it as a melee weapon, you get the bonus. As a throwing axe, you don't.
    Doesn't make sense to me though. Logically, its still the same weapon.