Skip to content

Rasaad vs. Viconia

XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
So I was rereading the new features, when I skimmed over Rasaad's profile to find that his monestary is devoted to Selune. Viconia is a priestess of Shar. I do already understand that Viconia cannot be changed due to contractual agreements, but does the fact that these two worship enemy goddesses mean that they'll hate each other?

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    No, because in a tolerant society like FR, you're free to worship whoever you like without persecution.

-satire-
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Another NPC who wants to kill Viconia and this time for reasons beyond simply her being a Drow?

Say it ain't so-oo-oh-oo-oh. My love is a heartbreaker.

...Too much Weezer today, sorry.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    As the new NPCs will have interactions with the old ones, it would seem possible.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    Yes, some monk on cleric action would be in order.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Beamdog is allowed to have interactions between old and new NPCs in the game's new areas only. They can't alter content for original NPCS in the existing game, but they can for anything new that they build outside of it.

This will be one of the major draws to play the stand-alone adventures such as the Black Pits, "Adventure Y," and whatever new stand-alone quest modules get released in the future via DLC.
    If I were a betting man I would wager that they'll eventually throw down. But it may be dependent on some variables such as party leader's Cha, as in the vanilla game.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    I suppose Anton has basically answered this entire Queury, might as well close this thread LMAO. A Cleric and a Monk fighting eachother all the time would be interesting, not to mention that BOTH will be in BG2 EE therefore, it'll add to the drama throughout the saga. I've never used a monk, but I'm tempted to take both of these beauties along just to see what happens.
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, this should pretty much make it essential for me to take on Viconia as my party's healer on my first run with a TN Fighter-Mage PC. I'll be adding all three new NPCs plus Imoen. So I've only got one slot left and that's definitely going to be a priest.

I'm going for a balanced party alignment-wise, so I think this will be that:

TN Fighter-Mage
    Imoen (NG)
    Viconia (NE)
    Rasaad (Lawful-?)
    Neera (Chaotic-?)
    Dorn (?-Evil; Obviously evil, but not sure if Blackguards must be Chaotic vs. 'any evil')
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Rasaad better hope Overhaul does a good job rebalancing Monks for lower levels, or that will be a short fight.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139

...Too much Weezer today, sorry.

There's simply no such thing. :D

I expect Rasaad and Viconia to be the Xander/Cordelia of BG: EE. You wouldn't expect them to go together, but somehow they do. Love triangle time!
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Posts: 201
    @tanthalas Thanks for clearing up that one.
  • WonKoWonKo Member Posts: 72
    Nice spotting, could be an interesting conflict. Interparty interactions are one of my favourite parts of the game. Bets on Viconia at lower levels at least.
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672

Rasaad better hope Overhaul does a good job rebalancing Monks for lower levels, or that will be a short fight.

@Nathan said on Reddit "The monk kit has been tweaked for BG1 playthrough. It should be pretty good. A monk isn't someone you want to be taking a lot of the damage but they can dole it out pretty fiercely.
    Our new Monk NPC may have some extra features. =)"

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/c614xgp?context=3
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I'm going to actually bring Viconia in my first playthrough. Don't know how I'll keep her from bailing due to high reputation, though. Have to think that through.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I wonder what the new NPC's stats are going to be. I always found monks to be really hard to roll for, so it'll be interesting to see how they divvy his pool around.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012

I'm going to actually bring Viconia in my first playthrough. Don't know how I'll keep her from bailing due to high reputation, though. Have to think that through.

Just get caught stealing once in a while to regulate it. Or plan things conveniently; when you are at 18 Rep go kill Drizzt for a nice 'Rep reset.'

I wonder what the new NPC's stats are going to be. I always found monks to be really hard to roll for, so it'll be interesting to see how they divvy his pool around.

Agreed on both accounts. Rasaad has me curious on stats, not so much Neera because mages matter less there.

But Dorn I'm absolutely insanely curious. Because they did a good job balancing all the fighters in BG1 to all be awesome in different ways, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they balance him in the fray.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    My guess is Dorn will have a 19 or 20 Strength to capitalize on his race, while his other stats will be unexceptional to balance this.
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    I only hope Rasaad and Viconia won't come to blows as she is one of my favorite NPCs and he is probably the new NPC I'm most interested in. However I expect them to argue about it as much / often as possible. A theological debate between a monk and a cleric sounds good :).
    Depending on which gods each of them follows, that bar's patrons could be bored to death or end up running for cover :).
  • RedGuardRedGuard Member Posts: 672

@Koson

A monk, a cleric, a druid and a paladin walk into a bar.........

The Paladin nursing a bust nose asks "why did none of you look where I was going?".
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012

My guess is Dorn will have a 19 or 20 Strength to capitalize on his race, while his other stats will be unexceptional to balance this.

Agreed, that has been my guess so far as well.

Plus it would make me happy because I could gloat about how much better he is than Minsc. :3
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Redguard
    @Koson

Oops forgot to add ranger to that list
    :)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    And a HAMSTER! Forgot the best NPC ever!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Meh, stupid monk. If he attacks Viconia he gets a dozen magic missiles flying in from the sideline.
    Tanthalas said:

Lemernis said:

Beamdog is allowed to have interactions between old and new NPCs in the game's new areas only.

No, interactions can happen in the old areas too in relation to new content.
    Wow, thanks for clarifying that!

That's actually a big deal, imvho. Any further development of the existing characters is something that will make customers very happy. And if it is only in reaction to new content, no one is really going to notice the circumstances. Any new lines from our beloved NPCs will be something fans are gonna appreciate mightily.

It would feel weird to have the existing NPCs always remain silent while only the new NPCs have interactions in the game's old areas. So I'm really, really glad to hear this news!