Skip to content

Dace, the Dead Vampire

OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
The description of his hand says this:

"This is the hand that you've obtained from the dead vampire, Dace."

Dead vampire? Isn't that kind of redundant? Vampires are undead, so they're already dead, right?

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited September 2015
    Oops, wrong section. I'm sorry. Can someone please change it?

edit: Never mind, I just realized I can change it.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    He was undead. You perma killed him. Now he is dead.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Baldur's Gate should eliminate and remove redundancy.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    demon9675 said:

wubble said:

Yeah, but then what would happen to Nalia?

They could always make her into a more interesting dual-class that isn't just a crappier Imoen - then Good parties would have a choice!

What about Swashbuckler -> Mage?
    Bard... Light fingers and an adventurous, romantic soul.

Back on topic... phrases like "He's not dead... He's UUUUNNNdead... [dramatic music]" are fairly commonplace amongst stories featuring the "vitally challenged", so I think it's fair enough.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    I always assumed Nalia was intentionally made to be just annoying and useless enough that new players wouldn't be tempted to leave Imoen out of their party in Spellhold.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    First he was alive, then he was dead, then he was undead, now he's re-dead.
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    joluv said:

I always assumed Nalia was intentionally made to be just annoying and useless enough that new players wouldn't be tempted to leave Imoen out of their party in Spellhold.

Au contraire, @joluv , it was a very long time before the developers even included Imoen as an NPC. She was supposed to die in Spellhold, and this was changed very late in the game (thus why she has no interaction with other NPCs prior to ToB). Therefore we can assume Nalia was the original 'Imoen' of BG2, whilst Imoen was - for all intents and purposes - dropped as quickly as Safana, Alora and Montaron as a Thief option, until developers realised that a moderate but verbal following in the playerbase grew very fond of her in BG1.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @recklessheart: Are you sure that Nalia's stats, dual-class level, etc. were set before that decision was made, though? That would make Jan the only NPC with adequate thief skills post-Spellhold. I suspect that Nalia would have a couple more thief levels if Imoen wasn't in the game.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Should the health status of Undead be always "near death" , then?

As for Imoen and Nalia, I'm a strong defender of both - Nalia has a stronghold quest and a subquest, a powerful magical item and lots of interaction - that makes her a good NPC, if you just ignore the fact the a young girl has managed to reach level 9 as a mage without real experience whatsoever.

And since this is a discussion forum, I just wanna say that Imoen may be young and vibrant, but not even close to the flashy outlook of a swashbuckler.