Skip to content

Forgotten Realms novels

So, I was browsing the Baldur's Gate wiki when I more or less stumbled upon the fact there have been novelizations done about the games, most everyone seems to think their utter jokes however upon using google, so I will be skipping those.

However, I also came to the realization I don't really know all that much about the forgotten realms setting other than the random lore scroll I occasionally went past while playing.

What books would you consider worth the time reading that has a relation to characters, events, deities and so on hinted at or seen in game?
MirageMoradin

Comments

• MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    Hello @raeshia, welcome to the forums!

This thread may give you some insight.
    JuliusBorisovNonnahswriterBladeDancer
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    raeshia said:

[...]

What books would you consider worth the time reading that has a relation to characters, events, deities and so on hinted at or seen in game?

To my knowledge, there is no novel that deals specifically/only with the Sword Coast. There are though some stand-alone novels, which are very good and I'd advice you to read. I'm speaking about the Anthologies (Realms of Valor, Realms of Infamy, etc..). These are collections of short stories, and some of them if I'm not mistaken happen to be set on the Sword Coast or around it. Also very good are some of the books by RA Salvatore. The earlier ones deal with the underdark and Ice Wind dale. The latest ones deal with Neverwinter post-spellplague. Somewhat in the middle, there's the Legacy of the Drow series, which sees the heroes going a bit up and down the Sword Coast.

If you would like to know more about the Time of Troubles, I strongly advice you to read the Avatar Series. I believe anyone that has ever played BG should give them a go, because they are very insightful on the events that lead to the games (specifically, how come a god started mating with mortals left and right).

If you instead would like to know more about characters like the Harpers, Elminster, Drizzt, Cadderly and so on, there are specific cycles of novels for each. I'd start with the Avatar series though.
    JuliusBorisovGozeta
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I remember seeing one of the Time of Troubles books in a bookstore and peeking in. There was a really vivid moment when Ao is scolding the gods for neglecting their worshippers' needs, and the force of Ao's voice alone was so overwhelming that it brought the gods to their knees, and only Bane, the god of tyranny, was able to keep one foot on the ground.

Ao is a badass.
    Moradin
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372

[...]

Ao is a badass.

Those novels are really something, especially for anyone that has ever played D&D as a DM. The ending of book 3 iirc is epic.

don't read any further if you want to read the series
    Ao closed his eyes and blanked his mind. Soon, he fell within himself and entered the place before time, the time at the edge of the universe, where millions of millions of assignments like his began and ended.

A luminous presence greeted him, enveloping his energies within its own. It was both a warm and a cold entity, forgiving and harsh. "And how does your cosmos fare, Ao?" The voice was at once both gentle and admonishing.

"They have restored the balance, Master. The Realms are once again secure."

Isewein