Skip to content

Ranged weapons suck in this game

One of the best ranged weapon, short bow of gesen, only does 1 more damage than the bow you can buy right at the start of BG1
The best melee weapons are way better than the base type, a 10 damage is no big deal. The best ranged weapons? 2 or 3 damages.
This make ranged attacker has little character development. You start with max proficiency. The only way to improve damage is through better equipment, which is minimal. You begins alright, but getting weaker and weaker.
There is nothing wrong with the class archer. It has decent progression in the game. Actually other ranged attacker will suck more and more compared to them. The problem is, all ranged weapon has little development, and sucks the more the deep into the game.

Comments

• solomonhumesolomonhume Member Posts: 10
    For comparison, the best ranged weapons in BG1 and IWD are comparable to best melee weapons.
    Not only melee weapons in BG2 does a lot more damage, they have other cool effects. And you are expected to have a higher strength, thus higher bonus melee damage.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Gesen's Bow also has infinite +4 ammunition, and if you use arrows with it deals an additional 1d8 damage on top of the arrow's damage. I don't know that I would use Gesen as an example of ranged weapons not being very good.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Also, while most classes have issues dealing damage at range, the Archer kit is a killing machine.
  • solomonhumesolomonhume Member Posts: 10

The average damage for any ordinary sling bullet or arrow is 3.5, not 2 or 3. For bolts, it's 4.5. For darts, it's 2, but darts get an extra two attacks per round compared to ordinary weapons, much as bows get an extra one attack per round. Your numbers are too low even for the worst ranged weapons, much less the best.

Missile weapons do improve in damage as the game progresses. As you collect more ammunition, you can use the best kinds with greater frequency. Ammunition discussed below.

Missile weapons also improve in overall utility as the game progresses--not just in terms of damage. As the game progress, the toughest fights will be, more and more often, the fights with mages, and the outcome of a battle will become more dependent on breaking down or breaking through the enemy's Stoneskins. Ranged attacks are better at both of these things: with their higher attacks per round, they cut through Stoneskins faster and inflict more elemental damage and status effects in the process.

I was not talking about the base type of ranged weapons are bad. I was talking about the best ones you can get in the game are barely better than the base types. Short bow of Gesen only does 3 more damage than a ordinary short bow.

Bows have an extra attack per round, that is an advantage at the beginning. But later it is actually a disadvantage when melee character max out two-weapon style and get powerful off hand weapons. The melee one get the same attack per round, and have additional goodies provided by the offhand weapon.

For arrows and bolts, magic ones do not increase damage. Some throwing weapons do, but they have greater limitations in other ways.

No, mages show that ranged attacks has utility, not show improving utility as the game progresses. They are decreasing because everyone has more HP while their damage stays more or less the same.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited October 2015
    I'd say otherwise. Ranged attacks improve in utility over time because enemy mages get more and more dangerous, and therefore anti-mage options become more and more important. Melee weapons have an advantage in some places, but you said ranged weapons "suck." They really don't.

EDIT: Actually, why don't we bring this to the "Unpopular Opinions" thread in the General Discussion forum? This sounds like the sort of discussion that belongs there. Though I don't know who's opinion would be the unpopular one (a lot of the posts there are surprisingly popular opinions).
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Since you seem especially hung up on the Gesen Bow and magic ammunition not increasing damage, I'll comment specifically on that. The Gesen Bow with Acid Arrows does 1d6+1 missile, 2 piercing, 1d3 acid, and 1d8 electric damage, for an average of 13 damage. An ordinary short bow with ordinary arrows does 1d6 missile damage, for an average of 3.5.

13 is more than 3.5.
  • demon9675demon9675 Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2015
    Only issue with bows is going up against enemies immune to +3 weapons and lower. But that's an extremely rare occurence (even in ToB), and Gesen Bow and Firetooth offer ways to deal with it anyway.

I took an archer using Strongarm (I like the damage boost) and Firetooth through ToB without much issue (not solo). Strongarm had more apr, but Firetooth enabled me to hit any +3 immune enemy when I had to.

Could some bows use a buff, especially Taralash (supposed to be an endgame ToB weapon)? Yeah, sure. Would +4 arrows/bolts be useful? Of course. Do ranged weapons suck? Nope.

They do fall into the unfortunate category of not being OP Kensai/Mage best-in-slot gear, though, so it's not surprising they get completely dismissed by some players.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    thespace said:

My archer has 51% of the total kills in my full party (Minsc, Jaheira, Aerie, Jan, Haer D') so far (level 11).

I concur, archers are awesome. You click on a target from afar and that target dies awful fast %90 of the time.
    For the rare 1-2 enemy that requires +4 you can equip a powerful sling with +4 bullets, and with a girdle of giant strength you can do 25+ damage per shot. With greater whirlwind the damage is obscene, if not a bit better thanks to strength bonus, than most end game bows.

Crossbows are not sucky, either. Right out of the Irenicus dungeon you can get a +1 fire damage crossbow from Ribald, or the fire tooth crossbow from WK. Especially Firetooth is so game breakingly powerful that I had a mod remove it from the store and give it to a randomised enemy.

• ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Low Damage on ranged weapons?
    My assassin/Fighter laugh out loud with his Tuigan bow and 5APR (10with IH) and thus 5 (10 with IH) times the on hit poison. Works as well with Gesen
    And so does my ranged Kensai with his Firetooth dagger and his average 36 damage per hit, at range.

Not to mention the different kinds of ammo make ranged weapon a lot more versatile than melee weapons
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    There are a lot of strength boosting items in the game. There really isn't anything to boost the power of bows or crossbows except ammunition. Crossbows in particular get the shaft in this, since they lack the attack rate of bows and darts, and the strength boost of some slings.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    In answer to the OP.
    No they don't, they really don't.

I've killed all the dragons in the game with bows/slings having the last shot. Quite annoying as I do try and thump them, but usually after a couple of hits, I'm running out of range chugging potions while the ranged fighters finish them off.
    (obviously after taking down their defences with magic users)

Mazzy is so awesome she really should be the charname.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Despite the fact being made time and time again, one more point:
    Baldur's Gate is much closer to Final Fantasy Tactics than to the original Final Fantasy. It's a game not just of turns, but of placement and location and positioning.

Ranged generally deals less damage than melee, but you can't ignore the fact that using ranged weapons generally means that your opponent is doing 0 damage in response to you! Melee can be kited or responded to by generally anything, but ranged weapons can do the kiting and avoiding the scary Vorpal hits or stunning hits or just generally absolutely nasty melee riding effects. It's generally the same reason that ranged damage is less than melee damage in MOBAs like DOTA and League of Legends. Being able to fight without taking any retaliation is just such a crazy advantage that the damage HAS to be lowered for anything resembling balance to occur.