Skip to content

Well... What are you going to spend your proficiency points on in BG1:EE?

2»

Comments

• AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    On the advice of @PhillipDaigle I am going to create a half-orc barbarian dart master!
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    Swords, the bigger and nastier the better. Nothing like halving an enemy in one swing. I even admit to the penile envy. I had smallcox as a child, and you never really recover from that. Quite tragic, really.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    Darts are actually quite good.. Fast, hits easy, and the magic ones are quite potent!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Blunt, but only because I think I'll be cleric-ing, that and I don't think I've ever had a character to use that thrown warhammer in BG2.
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    I chose this one just to amuse myself hahahaha!!!
  • KarrieKarrie Member Posts: 8
    Bows, because I couldn't survive the first ten hours of BG1 without one. That, and large swords.
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Carsomyr will be mine. Not soon, but some day in 2013 when my Paladin is ready to face the red dragon.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    edited September 2012
    delete
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    This thread actually raises an interesting point.

I never got into BG1:Tutu because I don't think the more specific weapon proficiencies from BG2 work in BG1. For example, if I selected "large sword" as a proficiency in original BG1, I could use the Spider's Bane (2-handed sword), +2 Long Sword w/ Cold damage, and Drizzt's scimitars equally. However, using BG2's engine, I have to select a different proficieny for each of the above weapons. IMO, there simply isn't enough of a variety of high-powered weapons in BG1 to make such specific weapon proficiencies viable.

Also, when I play BG2, I like to dual-wield the Celestial Fury (katana) and Flail of Ages, but if I give a BG1 character proficiencies in katanas, it will be wasted until I get to BG2. Likewise, if I DON'T give the character proficiencies in katanas, then he won't transition to BG2 the way I want.

This is actually one of one my biggest concerns over BG:EE.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    edited September 2012
    I'll slash and dash, I'll stick a dagger up your ass ...
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @SharGuidesMyHand

[...] there simply isn't enough of a variety of high-powered weapons in BG1 to make such specific weapon proficiencies viable. [...]

I believe it's been announce that they are adding some new weapons to BG:EE, to even out the availability of different types of (both ordinary and enchanted) weapons. So this may not be a problem anymore.
  • odeeodee Member Posts: 87
    1st of all , this poll is funny ( ha ha , not strange )
    2nd I am a non violent person and I can't stand the sight of blood ... ( as if .. )
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Definitely missile weapons for my Necromancer's first weapon proficiency. With a 9 CON, she needs to keep away from melee as much as possible. Plus, 3 attacks per round with darts is pretty awesome.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    My clerics do like to bludgeon things while spreading their religion of love and tolerance.
  • iassoniasson Member Posts: 101
    dagger as always
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    I'll stick my my usual sword and board. In a tough fight, with both me and my opponent sitting at 1 hit point...what do i prefer to have equiped in order to make sure i survive? A slow clumsy 2-handed monstrosity or my old reliable sword and shield. The answer and i've done oodles of experiments on it is sword and shield thank you.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I'm planning to have an Assassin wielding a Longsword with Single-Weapon Style, probably Varscona in BG:EE, but ultimately aiming for Blackrazor.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Only if I play a cleric and that's me metagaming and getting the electric war hammer early

I may just go monk though and punch the first wolf I see in the face and see how that turns out.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    "I'm planning to have an Assassin wielding a Longsword with Single-Weapon Style, probably Varscona in BG:EE, but ultimately aiming for Blackrazor."

For a back-stabber isn't it better to get the speed bonus of a short sword? You can get a +2 one quite early in BG1
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @Oxford_Guy: Technically, yes, but I prefer the look of Longswords. It's an aesthetic choice over a practical one. I'll probably end up with a pip in short-swords as well, though.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    deltago said:

I may just go monk though and punch the first wolf I see in the face and see how that turns out.

Probably not very well, if level 1... :-)

• GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited October 2012

I sometimes feel like deltago. I'm often tempted to try a monk, but every time i even think about it all my mind does is picture Keith Carradine with slanted eyes and i suddenly start talking all funny-like.....know what i mean grasshoppah?
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    you can't hurt me if you can't get close to me
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156

Dump everything into Darts. You'll thank me later.

New pub darts minigame at the Friendly Arm Inn... confirmed.

:)
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    Anyway, personally I'm planning to play an elven F/T, so it makes the most sense to go with large swords and bows. If elves still get their sword bonus with scimitars, I'll probably end up dual wielding scimitars.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Stabbidy stabb stabb