Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,441
    ariakas2 said:

BWS suddenly stopped working. During my regular scs install, i get this message while running the batch command:

Please start the "BiG World Install.bat"

Bitte startet die "BiG World Install.bat"

Veuillez lancer le "BiG World Install.bat"

Press any key to continue . . .

and it stuck there. I tried running the install.bat it gives other errors. I was installing without errors before, i dont know what happened.

Same problem here.

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited September 2017

ariakas2 said:

BWS suddenly stopped working. During my regular scs install, i get this message while running the batch command:

and it stuck there. I tried running the install.bat it gives other errors. I was installing without errors before, i dont know what happened.

Same problem here.

Really hard to say if this is a BWS or SCS problem. BWS has no reason to run anything during SCS installation. All BWS does at that time is to acrually start setup-strategems.exe and provide your selected components. Then it sits back together with you to watch SCS do its stuff - or fail.
    The message Please start the "BiG World Install.bat" is complete crap from a BWS that hung up and failed completely. If you do it, you get the errors that you need a clean install etc.

Without the help of those people at Gibberlings 3, the only thing to try is to pause BWS prior to SCS with the option you have during mod selection - then install SCS manually - then resume BWS.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,441
    I'm so new on this that probably best to wait their resurrection.
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    edited September 2017
    My installs that hung with the message weren't anywhere near to running SCS. The install had just finished running the Big Worl Fixpack. It finished then I get this:

H:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF NOT EXIST BWP_Fixpack.installed echo "The BiG World Fixpack script did not run successfully. Please check the _ApplyPatches.debug log file in the game folder and re-run _ApplyBatches.bat manually before continuing."
    IF NOT EXIST BWP_Fixpack.installed pause
    Tmp.bat

H:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF EXIST "BiG World Textpack GERMAN" xcopy /Y /S /E ".\BiG World Textpack GERMAN\_English_files" ".\BiG World Textpack GERMAN"

H:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>copy "BWS_Dummy.nul" "BWS_Finished.nul" 2>nul 1>nul

H:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>Tmp.bat

H:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF NOT EXIST BWP_Textpack.installed Call "BiG World Textpack.bat"

Incidentally, I had done an install about 10 days ago with no issues. This problem cropped up yesterday. Does anybody have an older version of BWS? Something might have changes in that time frame
    Adding to my last post. I started up BWS again and a message popped up "Previous install interrupted. Would you like to proceed with Au3Install at Full Fixed Russian Translation for BG:EE, #0"?

I never picked Russian for my language.
  • jatkinsonjatkinson Member Posts: 4

My installs that hung with the message weren't anywhere near to running SCS. The install had just finished running the Big Worl Fixpack. It finished then I get this:

H:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF NOT EXIST BWP_Fixpack.installed echo "The BiG World Fixpack script did not run successfully. Please check the _ApplyPatches.debug log file in the game folder and re-run _ApplyBatches.bat manually before continuing."
    Tmp.bat

H:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF EXIST "BiG World Textpack GERMAN" xcopy /Y /S /E ".\BiG World Textpack GERMAN\_English_files" ".\BiG World Textpack GERMAN"

H:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>copy "BWS_Dummy.nul" "BWS_Finished.nul" 2>nul 1>nul

H:\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF NOT EXIST BWP_Textpack.installed Call "BiG World Textpack.bat"

Incidentally, I had done an install about 10 days ago with no issues. This problem cropped up yesterday. Does anybody have an older version of BWS? Something might have changes in that time frame

Adding to my last post. I started up BWS again and a message popped up "Previous install interrupted. Would you like to proceed with Au3Install at Full Fixed Russian Translation for BG:EE, #0"?

I can confirm that BWS is doing exactly the same thing to me as the above quotes, according to the bitbucket changelog linked in the OP the last edit to BWS was four days ago.
    jatkinson said:

Tmp.bat

I can confirm that BWS is doing exactly the same thing to me as the above quotes, according to the bitbucket changelog linked in the OP the last edit to BWS was four days ago.
    The update you refer to was an update for a version number of one specific mod. Same as the one before that. According to bitbucket changelog all recent updates to BWS were affecting single mods and either their download link or version number. Nothing was changed pointing at your problem? Looks like something else is broken here.
    The only updated mods since my 9/16 install that I have in the new install is the Golem Construction mod. But I can only see version updates in the changelog. That mod is also not installed or unpacked until after the EET install starts. I suppose I should try an install without it just in case?

jatkinson said:

Tmp.bat

The update you refer to was an update for a version number of one specific mod. Same as the one before that. According to bitbucket changelog all recent updates to BWS were affecting single mods and either their download link or version number. Nothing was changed pointing at your problem? Looks like something else is broken here.
    I have even tried a "Mininum" preset and I still get the same result, something has gone seriously wrong with BWS.

WeiDU.exe "Setup-WeiDU.tp2" --game "." --language 0 --force-install-list 0 --log "Setup-WeiDU.Debug"
    [WeiDU.exe] WeiDU version 24200

Using .\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk

Installing [24200]

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED 24200

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>WeiDU.exe "Setup-BWS.tp2" --game "." --language 0 --force-install-list 0 --log "Setup-BWS.Debug"
    [WeiDU.exe] WeiDU version 24200

Using .\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk

Installing [20161130 - Updated by agb1 (installation started 29/09/2017)]
    Copying and patching 1 file ...

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED 20161130 - Updated by agb1 (installation started 29/09/2017)

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>cd /D "C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition"

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>BiG World Install
    IF NOT EXIST ".\BWS_workspace\override" MD ".\BWS_workspace\override"
    IF EXIST Setup-banterpack.tp2 move .\banterpack\Setup-banterpack.tp2 "."
    Tmp.bat

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack" xcopy /Y /S /E ".\BiG World Fixpack\_Lolfixer\*.*" "."
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_Lolfixer\lolfixer_LOGGER.bat
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_Lolfixer\lolfixer_ONLY_DEBUG_MODE.bat
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_Lolfixer\lolfixer\Area Stuff - MAJESTIC Area Fixer.txt
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_Lolfixer\lolfixer\Introduction & stuff.txt
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_Lolfixer\lolfixer\lolfixer_README.md
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_Lolfixer\lolfixer\setup-lolfixer.tp2
    6 File(s) copied

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>copy "BWS_Dummy.nul" "BWS_Finished.nul" 2>nul 1>nul

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>Tmp.bat

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack" xcopy /Y /S /E ".\BiG World Fixpack\_resfixer_v1\*.*" "."
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_resfixer_v1\res_fixer\setup-res_fixer.tp2
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_resfixer_v1\res_fixer\lib\fj_cre_eff_v2.tpp
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_resfixer_v1\res_fixer\lib\fj_cre_reindex.tpp
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_resfixer_v1\res_fixer\lib\fj_cre_validity.tpp
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_resfixer_v1\res_fixer\lib\fj_spl_itm_reindex.tpp
    5 File(s) copied

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>copy "BWS_Dummy.nul" "BWS_Finished.nul" 2>nul 1>nul

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack" xcopy /Y /S /E ".\BiG World Fixpack\_Area_Patcher\*.*" "."
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_Area_Patcher\Area_Patcher\Setup-Area_Patcher.tp2
    1 File(s) copied

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack" xcopy /Y /S /E ".\BiG World Fixpack\_Item_Patcher\*.*" "."
    .\BiG World Fixpack\_Item_Patcher\Item_Patcher\Setup-Item_Patcher.tp2
    1 File(s) copied

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack\item_rev" rmdir /s /q "BiG World Fixpack\item_rev"
    IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack\tdd" rmdir /s /q "BiG World Fixpack\tdd"
    IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack\chloe" rmdir /s /q "BiG World Fixpack\chloe"
    IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack\dsotsc" rmdir /s /q "BiG World Fixpack\dsotsc"
    IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack\ntotsc" rmdir /s /q "BiG World Fixpack\ntotsc"
    IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack\ntotscv171" rmdir /s /q "BiG World Fixpack\ntotscv171"
    IF EXIST "BiG World Fixpack\refinements" rmdir /s /q "BiG World Fixpack\refinements"
    Tmp.bat

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF NOT EXIST BWP_Fixpack.installed Call "_ApplyPatches.bat"
    [weidu] WeiDU version 24200

Installing [Apply Patches To Unpacked Mod Folders In Current Directory] [v2.6]
    1 dir(s) moved.
    Copying 1 file ...

Leonardo's BiG World Fixpack v16 + GitHub updates
    -------------------------------------------------

Just sit back and watch...
    This tool is making the job for you!

This tool fixes bugs in different mods.
    You can also use it without a megamod.

First all fixes will be installed according to the instructions.
    You are prompted to make a choice at several times.

Installation BiG World Fixpack finished!

SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED Apply Patches To Unpacked Mod Folders In Current Directory
    1 dir(s) moved.

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF NOT EXIST BWP_Fixpack.installed echo "The BiG World Fixpack script did not run successfully. Please check the _ApplyPatches.debug log file in the game folder and re-run _ApplyBatches.bat manually before continuing."
    Tmp.bat

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF EXIST "BiG World Textpack GERMAN" xcopy /Y /S /E ".\BiG World Textpack GERMAN\_English_files" ".\BiG World Textpack GERMAN"

C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition>IF NOT EXIST BWP_Textpack.installed Call "BiG World Textpack.bat"

• kaidekaide Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2017
    Hey guys! I found a fix for that.

The Big World Install.bat script has line "exit".

IF exist "BiG World Install.bat" (
    if "%BWIP%" == "" (
    echo.
    echo Please start the "BiG World Install.bat"
    echo.
    echo Bitte startet die "BiG World Install.bat"
    echo.
    echo Veuillez lancer le "BiG World Install.bat"
    echo.
    pause
    exit <--- REMOVE THIS
    )
    )

So before the software starts the installation process, put it on pause, open the bat file and remove that line. You can find the that .bat file in the game directory. The line causes the install software to terminate the installation process. When you delete the line, and continue the installation, it works.

It still asks you to press any key, but then just type something and press "Send entered text"

Hope it works!
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @ariakas2 @southfla79 @kaide
    BWP cannot use paths which contains ' (single quote) so this limitation is also transfered to BWS.

Solution: install Infinity Engine games using path without ' (single quote)
  • kaidekaide Member Posts: 4
    ALIEN said:

BWP cannot use paths which contains ' (single quote) so this limitation is also transfered to BWS.

The problem wasn't that for me. First i couldn't download Big World Installpack, becouse Spellhold Studios was down, but after getting the installation pack, i had the same problem that anyone else.

Now the installation stops after it tries to install Big World Textpack, so the problem is there. And because the textpack is included to Big World Fixpack, the best solution is to modify that file. One little line off and new commit and push and it will work again. :-)
    edited September 2017
    ALIEN said:

I tried removing the apostrophes from the filepaths and trying the minimum installation to test it. I still get the same situation before. I also don't see how this could change things as I have succesfully installed a BWS modded EET on several occasions, it's only in the past few days that this bug has cropped up.
    kaide said:

Hey guys! I found a fix for that.

The Big World Install.bat script has line "exit".

IF exist "BiG World Install.bat" (
    if "%BWIP%" == "" (
    echo.
    echo Please start the "BiG World Install.bat"
    echo.
    echo Bitte startet die "BiG World Install.bat"
    echo.
    echo Veuillez lancer le "BiG World Install.bat"
    echo.
    pause
    exit <--- REMOVE THIS
    )
    )

So before the software starts the installation process, put it on pause, open the bat file and remove that line. You can find the that .bat file in the game directory. The line causes the install software to terminate the installation process. When you delete the line, and continue the installation, it works.

It still asks you to press any key, but then just type something and press "Send entered text"

Hope it works!</p>

This does in fact work, but it should be pointed out that it's the BIG World Textpack.bat file that needs to be modified in both BGEE and BGEEII directiories.
    Post edited by jatkinson on
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    For those having difficulties due to G3 being down... It's up again. :)
  • KaitekKaitek Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2017

I just had the exact same issue but I can confirm that it works if I delete the "exit" line in BIG World Textpack.bat in both BGEE and BG2EE directories, has to be done after the extraction and just before the installation phase otherwise it ruins everything.

Also, I had a weird compatibility issue with BWS. I didn't want The Darkest Day mod but for some reason it was a requirement for Sandrah so I guess I had to get it.

It took about 2 hours to install everything with SCS taking an hour, I ended up installing every big mod on the list. Not sure if I need Generalized Biffing or not, I have 52238 files in my override folder and it says the game may slow down with 10000.

The following originally selected mods could not be installed:

Romance Cheats (I ignored this issue despite BWS saying it may cause Nalia with DeArnise Romance to stutter)
    Improved Cloakwood Druids
    Improved Unseeing Eye
    Fix Ascension with SCS Smarter Abazigal
    Fix Ascension with SCS Smarter Irenicus
    Beholders have no items equipped
    Kaitek said:

I ended up installing every big mod on the list. Not sure if I need Generalized Biffing or not, I have 52238 files in my override folder and it says the game may slow down with 10000.

You don't need biffing in EET. The slow down was for the old game and is no issue in EE.

The Big World issue reported seems to be caused by a BWP update that was done unnoticed while SHS and G3 were down. Looks like the new BWP 1.7 is not compatible with BWS, maybe not even EE games?
  • simAlitysimAlity Member Posts: 64
    [quote]Please start the "BiG World Install.bat"

Press any key to continue . . .[/quote]

Got this as well. It seems to happen with both 16.7 and 17.7.

Also, I got the message that @southfla79 mentioned. Regardless of where my install was interrupted I was asked if I wanted to resume at "Au3Install at Full Fixed Russian Translation for BG:EE, #0"?

• MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Not necessarily related to BWS but happen often with it's installation because of amount of mods.

Sometimes for some personal reasons some mods prevent start BG after installation: you press the button, you see the game in the list of running processes in Task Manager, but no window opens up - not even loading screen.

Is there more simple way to find the "troublemaker" among all the mods that an uninstall one by one?
    Mirandel said:

Not necessarily related to BWS but happen often with it's installation because of amount of mods.

Sometimes for some personal reasons some mods prevent start BG after installation: you press the button, you see the game in the list of running processes in Task Manager, but no window opens up - not even loading screen.

Is there more simple way to find the "troublemaker" among all the mods that an uninstall one by one?

This phenomenon is caused by mods adding journal entries with *bad* symbols that the GUI chokes on.

You can use this small tool to find the culprit. Just extract it to BG2EE directory and use it to start the game. You can see how far the game is processed and where it hangs.
  • ThrawnThrawn Member Posts: 8
    ariakas2 said:

Having this issue as well. I'd really rather not go in and fiddle with the bat files. Is this being fixed?

Or do I just need to try the above suggested solution (tried once already and it didn't work). do I change the Big World Install.bat or the Big World Textpack.bat or both?
    Thank you! I tryed it and got this:

INFO: LUA: UI string not found.

Not sure wich mod is meant, though.
    Mirandel said:

Does it not provide information above that last error? The message confirms my suspicion that it's a journal entry from a mod with *illegal* CHARSET. Do you play in english?
    simAlity said:

[quote]Please start the "BiG World Install.bat"

Press any key to continue . . .[/quote]

Got this as well. It seems to happen with both 16.7 and 17.7.

Also, I got the message that @southfla79 mentioned. Regardless of where my install was interrupted I was asked if I wanted to resume at "Au3Install at Full Fixed Russian Translation for BG:EE, #0"?

I assume that you also need the textpack version 16.7 instead of 17? Just guessing.

Mirandel said:

Does it not provide information above that last error? The message confirms my suspicion that it's a journal entry from a mod with *illegal* CHARSET. Do you play in english?
    I had to post it all, of course. This is the full information:

e:\Baldur's Gate - full\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition>Baldur.exe
    INFO: status: 0
    INFO: Creating DPWrapper
    INFO: Steam not found
    INFO: scanning:(0) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/o
    verride
    INFO: scanning:(1) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/s
    cripts
    INFO: scanning:(2) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/s
    ounds
    INFO: scanning:(3) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/l
    ang/en_US/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(4) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/p
    ortraits
    INFO: scanning:(5) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/c
    haracters
    INFO: scanning:(6) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/m
    ovies
    INFO: scanning:(7) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/l
    ang/en_US/movies
    INFO: scanning:(8) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tril
    ogy/override
    INFO: scanning:(9) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tril
    ogy/scripts
    INFO: scanning:(10) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tri
    logy/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(11) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tri
    logy/portraits
    INFO: scanning:(12) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tri
    logy/characters
    INFO: scanning:(13) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tri
    logy/movies
    INFO: mounting archive: Sirene BG2 v1.6.zip
    INFO: mounting archive: webcache.zip
    INFO: scanning:(0) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/o
    verride
    INFO: scanning:(1) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/s
    cripts
    INFO: scanning:(2) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/s
    ounds
    INFO: scanning:(3) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/l
    ang/en_US/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(4) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/p
    ortraits
    INFO: scanning:(5) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/c
    haracters
    INFO: scanning:(6) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/m
    ovies
    INFO: scanning:(7) e:/Baldur's Gate - full/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/l
    ang/en_US/movies
    INFO: scanning:(8) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tril
    ogy/override
    INFO: scanning:(9) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tril
    ogy/scripts
    INFO: scanning:(10) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tri
    logy/sounds
    INFO: scanning:(11) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tri
    logy/portraits
    INFO: scanning:(12) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tri
    logy/characters
    INFO: scanning:(13) C:/Users/Atom/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition Tri
    logy/movies
    INFO: LUA: UI string not found: ????
    INFO: LUA: UI string not found: Again?
    INFO: LUA: UI string not found: X
    INFO: LUA: Initializing Quests
    Mirandel said:

Mirandel said:

I had to post it all, of course. This is the full information:

e:\Baldur's Gate - full\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition>Baldur.exe
    INFO: status: 0
    INFO: Creating DPWrapper
    INFO: Steam not found
    verride
    cripts
    ounds
    ang/en_US/sounds
    ortraits
    haracters
    ovies
    ang/en_US/movies
    ogy/override
    ogy/scripts
    logy/sounds
    logy/portraits
    logy/characters
    logy/movies
    INFO: mounting archive: Sirene BG2 v1.6.zip
    INFO: mounting archive: webcache.zip
    verride
    cripts
    ounds
    ang/en_US/sounds
    ortraits
    haracters
    ovies
    ang/en_US/movies
    ogy/override
    ogy/scripts
    logy/sounds
    logy/portraits
    logy/characters
    logy/movies
    INFO: LUA: UI string not found: ????
    INFO: LUA: UI string not found: Again?
    INFO: LUA: UI string not found: X
    INFO: LUA: Initializing Quests
    Sorry, it's maybe not what I thought it might be. Do you have any UI mod installed which may cause it? Maybe someone more knowledgeable can interpret the error,
    I do use a couple of UI changing elements (portret selection, random character generator and better journal) but I was using them for a long time.

Thanks anyway, will continue looking.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    My apologies if this has already been answered before; I haven't gone through 22 pages of thread.

Is there a way to save my custom mod/component selection so I don't have to go through the process of selecting them every time my installation fails for any reason?
  • KaitekKaitek Member Posts: 43
    edited October 2017
    @AndreaColombo Yeah, you can export the selection file and later import it, works great. You can find it under options on the "choose mods and components" window.

My apologies if this has already been answered before; I haven't gone through 22 pages of thread.

Is there a way to save my custom mod/component selection so I don't have to go through the process of selecting them every time my installation fails for any reason?

Yes.
    On the screen with the mod selection menu there is a pulldown "options" where you can save (and later) import your selection.

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    Thank you, @Kaitek and @PaulaMigrate