Skip to content

Race Restriction for Romances

Comments

• SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Didn't know about the female gnomes :(
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    Yeah, female gnomes or half-orcs, and dwarves of neither gender have no chances with any of the (vanilla) BG2 LIs. Male gnomes can seek the favor of Aerie only, and Viconia gives male half-orcs a chance (but never elves). Otherwise, it's humans, half-elves, halflings and elves who can find true(?) love.

I still feel that the only reasonable race restriction is Viconia not going for elves, and even that enmity would have been nice romance drama material in my opinion ;)
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    The best solution is to remove romances completly. I used to love them until I came to these forums and read all kinds of requests. Leave the professional writers who actualy know the world do their job...
    edited July 2014
    @Jalily you are comparing romances in a game to weapons, classes, portraits? WTF dnd have rules, fans suggestions do not matter compared to that.
    Post edited by Razor on
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    As long as the romance restrictions can be modded out it doesn't matter to me what they were/are.
    As long as the weapons are believable to exist in the world... Most rpg out there do not have romances and they do just fine. If having romances is a way to lore holes then better not having them at all. Or leave them to professionals to write.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    Razor said:

As long as the weapons are believable to exist in the world... Most rpg out there do not have romances and they do just fine.

LOL! How do you figure "most rpgs" manage to gather those thousands of years of history without any romance? Oh right, rape and pillage ^_^
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I'll never look at an RPG without a diverse range of romance options again :P
    At least they base the restrictions on race and not character stats :P Imagine if you needed 15 strength to meet Viconias standards.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited September 2012
    True...
    Lets remove race restriction and add charisma restriction.
    It´s much more reasonable.

@AurenRavidel
    It is very good idea, you shoud have start poll with that.
    " Do you want charisma restriction in romance instead race restriction ? "
    ( Hurry before i do that :D )
    Razor said:

As long as the weapons are believable to exist in the world... Most rpg out there do not have romances and they do just fine. If having romances is a way to lore holes then better not having them at all. Or leave them to professionals to write.

There have been surprisingly very few fan mods out there that should be considered character-breaking. While not "professional" in terms of it being from the original authors, many of the holes in characters and quests have been fixed by content inspired by what we were originally given.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Razor said:

I don't see how elves and dwarves having sex could create any "lore holes."

edited September 2012
    I didnt speak of mods, and dont care about what is done in mods. I spoke about the "feature" request that is going on here, "I want my gnome to romance a half-orc" etc. Some races do not get along, they may come to accept but its not as basic as people seem to be here.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Well, I'd still prefer the romances with the original characters to remain as-is. They can address this issue by making the new characters romance options for the vertically-challenged if they want.

I personally don't find Asian women very attractive. I can completely understand Jaheira not being into dwarves. ;)

I personally don't find Asian women very attractive. I can completely understand Jaheira not being into dwarves. ;)

Asian women are attractive
    http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqsi5sExCG1qa9gago1_500.jpg

And what if that dwarf is personification of pure charisma ?
    There is always question, why Jaheira do not like dwarves ?
    ( and others race what are´t romanceable for her )

Like you say with asian women, some people do´t like some races.
    But there are always exceptions...
    Even if you do´t like asian, we can stil find at least 1 - 3 asian women what even you find atractive.
    Same thing with Jaheira.

What about this:

There will be still same race restriction for all romances, BUT you can bypass it if yours CHARNAME have hight charisma. ( Even Half-ork will be sexy for all ours women if have 18 charisma )
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77

Any individual member of a race is ultimately just that, an individual, that is as mutable and diverse as any other person. Some races do not get along? We're talking about a core D&D setting, which are always extremely diverse and cosmopolitan, with many cities flooded with examples of every "common" race. To suggest that a gnome and half-orc being attracted to each other in a city like Baldur's Gate is somehow impossible is absurd. Period.

Hell, Planescape: Torment has Fall-From-Grace, a LAWFUL NEUTRAL succubus. If a creature formed of the very substance of elemental evil can change her alignment, I think a gnome or a half-orc can manage to get it on.

exactly, and we have Drizzt, a GOOD DROW.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560

I actually love this idea (in theory, not practice). Charisma will no longer be a dump stat! You now need a certain number to romance some npcs.

I can hear the players bitching now "Why won't Viconia romance my 6 Cha Half-Orc?"

"Because you're one disgusting, tactless, ugly mother******."

Agreed -- it would have been more interesting if romances were based on charisma rather than race. Maybe have different NPCs have different thresholds (eg: Viconia would only date you if you were 16+, but Jaheira would settle for 12, haha).

They'd need to take out the Ring Everybody Knows About from the beginning of BG2, though. I'd be all for that as it wouldn't make charisma totally superfluous in the game.

Dump stats are dumb.
    edited September 2012
    You are making a serious mistake confusing charisma and being good looking. Ex. Dorn can have a high charisma even with an ugly ass-face.
    The races have cultures and prejudices of their own, have some common sense when you play marriage makers... Also some races are not compatible to procreate, imo these romances shouldnt go as far as children anyway...
    Post edited by Razor on
    There's that gnome that gets with Lady Irlana instead of Garrick (cough) charisma! (cough) bard!! And then there's that Ogre (who Mazzy fought with) who had a human girlfriend. So I don't agree as much with eliminating what may seem like an unusual pairing just because its uncommon, as there are examples to the contrary in the vanilla game.
    But I agree that it shouldn't be made easy for odd pairings either. If they're gonna change things it should be made difficult (yet not impossible) to overcome by addressing what a challenge it would be to move past their differences.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited September 2012
    Whoops, glitched post.
  • KhyronKhyron Member Posts: 627
    Well.. I for one can't quite imagine a half-orc doing lil Aerie in the bushes. That's like.. something that belongs in a japanese anime serie or something.. with some tentacles just for show.

And baby Quayle being 1/4th orc, 1/4th human, half winged elf?

For some reason that gives me images of a greenskinned Schwarzenegger with fairy wings and a fuzzy wand..
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Edvin said:

Even if you do´t like asian, we can stil find at least 1 - 3 asian women what even you find attractive

I can recognize them as being aesthetically pleasing. I just don't find them attractive. You can't claim to know my preferences based on exceptions, because they're not your preferences, they're mine. ;)

Also, if you were trying to get me to change my mind with that picture, you'd be better-served linking to a real woman than...whatever that plastic surgery horror is.

Edvin said:

Even if you do´t like asian, we can stil find at least 1 - 3 asian women what even you find attractive

I can recognize them as being aesthetically pleasing. I just don't find them attractive. You can't claim to know my preferences based on exceptions, because they're not your preferences, they're mine. ;)

Also, if you were trying to get me to change my mind with that picture, you'd be better-served linking to a real woman than...whatever that plastic surgery horror is.
    This is Hitomi Tanaka and she is 100% natural.