Skip to content

Race Restriction for Romances

Comments

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    How about a hybrid? I mean, have race restrictions, but have a CHA amount to override that restriction. I think that would work well, actually, except for the dump stat thing LOL. Guess WIS is going to be 3 more often...
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77

How about a hybrid? I mean, have race restrictions, but have a CHA amount to override that restriction. I think that would work well, actually, except for the dump stat thing LOL. Guess WIS is going to be 3 more often...

i could live with that
  • RedcoatRedcoat Member Posts: 31
    I say leave the race restrictions in place - it's entirely plausible that some people just aren't attracted to people of other races or do not consider them as potential romantic partners.

Characters should not be bent, folded, or mutilated simply to please players' romantic wish-fulfillment fantasies. Leave it to the fan fiction authors to do that.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    @Silence Is there anything in the rulebooks about fertility between different races? I was never sure if that was a mechanic created by fans or whether there's a basis for it :S
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    since when is fertility a requirement for romance?
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Actually there is... Only Elves, Orcs and Humans can interbreed.

What makes me wonder what is he origin of each one, they must have a common ancestor and still be very close to manage that.

And of course we have demons, celestials and dragons that can make anything in the multiverse pregnant and have children with whatever species your care to mention :)
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Historically, unions and sexual practices that do not produce offspring have been disliked (in medieval christianity anyway). So though it wouldn't stop romance, would make sense as an in-game prejudice that would prevent these things happening. - also, aren't all the races in FR a bit racist?
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    Since CHARNAME is part Bhaal, and we know for a fact that Bhaal... *ahem* got around (KOBOLD Bhaalspawn!!) I think that an exception to the normal fertility rules would apply in this case. :)
    I would think that gods would have more of a free reign over the laws of nature than the "mortal" races.
    @Moomintroll It's actually in the rules that they do. So do dragons and most fey (like nymphs). I just don't know for sure if it would work in CHARNAME's case beacause s/he's only part Bhaal.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    I agree with @silence "since when is fertility a requirement for romance?" because a romance does not even have to include intercourse. On the other hand there are some races that do not respect each other, so this too requires some work so they get along. As @mlnevese said "quote" some races can procreate/mix but they dont want to for several reasons. Some are more common like humans and elves / orcs and humans (90% rape).
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Razor said:

I agree with @silence "since when is fertility a requirement for romance?" because a romance does not even have to include intercourse. On the other hand there are some races that do not respect each other, so this too requires some work so they get along. As @mlnevese said "quote" some races can procreate but they dont want to for several reasons.

And you're once again talking on a macro level, which is only vaguely relevant to a discussion of individual characters courting one another.
    edited September 2012
    I thought we all were in the last posts what is wrong with you? Schneidend: read carefully exceptions can exist, individuals can become close, that does not mean they will want to have sex. It is seriously hard for some races to see others as more than a friend.
    Hahaha... imagine if an NPC only had a 'friendzonemance'. The fanbase would explode...

Let's do it!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2012
    Imagine a game of Darksun where a Thri-keen (a 6 feet tall mantis-like being) and a half giant (10 foot tall humanoid) fall in love... Better stop here, this may be the start of very bad fanfic ;)

P.S. Just decided to clarify what each species is for those who don't know Darksun.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    how come there aren't any half elf half orcs? i just thought of that.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Razor said:

I thought we all were in the last posts what is wrong with you? Schneidend: read carefully exceptions can exist, individuals can become close, that does not mean they will want to have sex. It is seriously hard for some races to see others as more than a friend.

You keep using words like "races," which is largely irrelevant to "individuals." I have no problem with Jaheira not being into gnomes, but you're tossing around universals as an argument against people wanting romances for their female gnomes and half-orc males, which is a fairly obvious strawman.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    The Forgotten Realms have half-giants in Hartsvale (covered in the Twilight Giants series if anyone wants to read it). And the Firbolg and Voadkyn Giants are both half-giant races.
    @KouTheMad Because only humans are fertile with both those races. They aren't fertile with each other.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    mlnevese said:

Actually there is... Only Elves, Orcs and Humans can interbreed.

Dwarves and humans can interbreed, too. The offspring are basically dwarves that are about a foot taller than average. They're so similar to dwarves that half-dwarves aren't treated as their own distinct "race" like half-elves are.

Gnomes and elves can also produce offspring, at least in the setting of the games.
    In BG2, male gnomes can romance Aerie and get her pregnant.

No idea about halflings, but I would be more surprised if crossbreeds weren't possible. I mean, bards and sorcerers supposedly inherit their spellcasting powers from dragons.
    @Jalily Not dragons per se, but some kind of magical source in the bloodline. In 3e it does into more detail, but sorcerers can inheret their ability by having an ancestor who is: dragon, fey, demon/devil, celestial/angel or even a powerful wizard.
    Schneidend I only said that it cant be that usual (in fact, very rare), just because someone like you, that mostly care only about personal whims, want it. I'am not speaking against it. If you dont want to understand I wont waste my time with you anymore.
    edited September 2012
    @Jalily Only in Dark Sun, I think. I have never heard of Half-Dwarves, or "Mul", in other campaigns. And in Dark Sun, it's mentioned specifically that they are the products of rape. I didn't know that gnomes could make Aerie pregnant. Interesting.
    I think the gnome/Aerie thing was an unintended consequence.

Normally gnomes and elves are not compatible, and no other love interest likes gnomes. Aerie was probably also originally coded to not accept a gnome romance either but was changed late in development to match her backstory.

My guess is whoever made that change wasn't aware of the pregnancy in the romance or didn't know enough DnD lore to realize it would be an issue for nitpickers like us over a decade later.
    @LadyRhian There's a half-dwarf mentioned in Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast.
    Hmm... Do you know which one? I'd be interested in looking it up.
    @LadyRhian Yep, Daeros Dragonspear.
    LadyRhian said:

@KouTheMad Because only humans are fertile with both those races. They aren't fertile with each other.

that makes no sense
    @KouTheMad Elf+Orc=no offspring (not fertile with each other), they are fertile with members of their own race and with humans. (a rephrasing, hopefully, of what LadyRhian said).

@KouTheMad Elf+Orc=no offspring (not fertile with each other), they are fertile with members of their own race and with humans. (a rephrasing, hopefully, of what LadyRhian said).

i understood what she said, what i mean by it is how can Elves and Orcs not intermingle with each other, but BOTH can intermingle with humans?

i don't see how both races can do that if the 2 races have don't have similar genetic makeups.