Skip to content

PC gnomish illusionist theif

BaxyrattyBaxyratty Member Posts: 190
So i want to do a "cannon" good party runthrough for used in dragonspear. and i was thinking of doing a gnomish illusionist/thief for my run this time, are they any fun?

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Jan's a Gnomish Illusionist/Thief, and his Flasher Launcher is kind of like a cannon, so I think it's an apt choice.

But seriously: my favorite run ever was with a Gnomish I/T. Very fun.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    I made one of my characters a gnomish Dragon Disciple... That was fun.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    The character is powerful but if you're going to dual Imoen to be consistent with the canon they end up a bit too similar in my mind
  • fischsemmelfischsemmel Member Posts: 40
    I really liked playing a gnome I/T a couple times, although doing one in BG1 with a party tested my patience. Poor thac0, low hit points, light (or no armor), no bonus attacks per round, and splitting xp between spell and skill progression? Ugh. I felt like I was 3/4 of the way through the game before my charname did anything other than miss on <16 and deal with traps and locks.

Love that multiclass in BG2 and/or in solo play though.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited October 2015
    I think they are great, but tend to first play them as thieves with mage spells augmenting their thief class, then as they level up (later chapters of BG1), I tend to play them more and more as mages with supplimentary thief skills. Then in the long run (BG2, once you start to get like level 6-7 mage spells), you can really mix things up with all the great synergies for backstabs etc.

It's true though that Imoen and a T/I charname shares alot of space in a party in BG1, early BG2. Late game BG2, and possible also SoD, it's never wrong having two mages and two thieves. One more focused on dealing damage (sneak skills, backstabs), one more for traps/locks, buffs/debuffs and/or evocation/damage spells.