Skip to content

#17263 Characters with inactive thief levels should not be able to steal

DhariusDharius Member Posts: 654
edited November 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
Description

1. Load the attached save.
2. Enter the inn.
3. Dual class to fighter (R -> Dual-Class -> Class -> Fighter -> Done -> Skills -> * Bastard Sword * Long Sword -> Done -> Done).
4. From the Game Screen (G), speak to Winthrop to enter his store (2, 2).
5. Click on the bottom right icon, Steal.
6. Click on the throwing axe and click Steal.

Observed
The stealing action takes place.

Expected
It should not be possible to select an item to steal.

Note
Khalid is in the party and can be used to see the expected state.

I'm using Imoen who is currently a Thief (Lvl 6)/Mage (Lvl 1) with the thief class inactive

Observed: she was able to steal 20 bullets from the Nashkel Store
Expected: she should not be able to steal from stores as her thief class is currently inactive
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
    whats wrong with free stealing?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I could be mistaken, but I believe that your skill points remain intact when you're dual-classed; so your Pick Pockets score would still allow you to steal from a store on the "Steal Items" screen, even if you can't use the Thieving button on the gameplay screen. Your thieving skill points are like hit points: they don't go away when you dual-class.

(To wit: Even non-thieves can attempt to steal from stores, they just don't usually succeed because their natural Pick Pockets scores are lower.)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Dee There's no order in this behavior: you can't set or disarm traps, you can't open locks, you can't dispel illusions before you haven't gotten your thieving class back but you still can steal from stores.
    The precedent is in my last paragraph: you can attempt to steal from a store even if you're not a Thief.

The ability you lose when you dual-class is the ability to attempt to open locks, disarm traps, and detect illusions (as well as pick pockets). You don't lose your thieving skill points, because those points aren't tied to your class; they're part of your character, much like (as mentioned above) your hit points.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    If it's like you say, then the items shouldn't be greyed out (like they are now) when a non-rogue tries to steal from a shop (in the screenshot below the character is a druid):

Ah, that is a good point. And in that case, yes, that's a bug. Tagging @Gate70 for the test case.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Tagged
    Thanks