Skip to content

Modding the Inquisitor to still gain priest spell progression

DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
I love all the paladin kits, but the problem is that Inquisitor doesn't seem like a paladin kit to me. Being unable to cast priest spells just feels weird, yet I like the idea of a Paladin of Mystra.

Is there any mod or anything I can do that would allow me to give an Inquisitor back their priest spell progression?

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    I unfortunately can't test this right now, but I think that if you went into the gamefiles and deleted SPCL234 it would allow you to cast spells. Alternatively, you could override it so that the change is reversible with a blank spell file by dropping a blank spell file named 'SPCL234' into your override directory.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Deleting SPCL234 from the override folder wouldn't work, since the override folder merely overwrites the game's base files. Many spells can't actually be found in the override folder in the first place. Deleting it would simply remove any modifications you had made to the spell; the spell would still apply as normal. I'm not aware of any way to delete the game's base file, outside of the override folder, so maybe @Aquadrizzt knows something I don't.

If you download the attachment below and unzip it into your override folder, it will allow Inquisitors to turn undead and cast spells, removing all of their penalties. Note that it won't apply to Inquisitors who have already been created; you'll have to make a new one, or remove the "Disable Buttons" effects under the Effects tab in EEKeeper.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    @semiticgod , you could use NI to go in and delete the file I believe... Obviously this is bad form but it is possible.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2015
    Not sure this can be enabled by modders. I believe the spellbook (not just the button but the actual book) is disabled for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    It's as @elminster already mentioned. The spells in the Inquisitor's CLABPA03.2DA will only disable the "Turn Undead" and "Select Spell" buttons. While you can enable Turn Undead that way, the spellbook remains disabled for this kit. I don't know if there is a way for modders to enable it.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited November 2015
    I found the problem and devised a workaround. This time, it works.

The problem is that SPCL234 isn't the reason the Inquisitor can't cast spells. I just changed SPCL234 to enable the spell select button instead of disabling it. Not only does the effect not work, it doesn't even show up in EEKeeper! I checked the CLAB file; the spell is present and is correctly rendered as AP_SPCL234. Apparently the third slot for paladin kits is coded to disable that button, regardless of SPCL234.

The solution is to move the Inquisitor kit to a different slot. I just copied the CLABPA03.2da and removed the AP_SPCL234, then re-named it CLABPA01, to replace the unkitted paladin and therefore create a paladin kit with both spellcasting abilities and the Inquisitor's Dispel Magic. I created a new character in ToB and it had both.

Attached is a "CLABINQU" .2da file. Re-name it CLABPA01 to replace the unkitted Paladin, CLABPA02 to replace the Cavalier, CLABPA04 to replace the Undead Hunter, and CLABPA06 to replace the Blackguard, and put it in your override folder. You won't have the name Inquisitor, however, unless you edit the strings in Near Infinity.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    No worries, I may just use the old fashioned inquisitor and just be sad I can't have make inquisitor cakr and eat it with my 25 str dex con self too