Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Any Advice for Starting a New Party in Heart of Winter?

I see that there's a full default party who come with a bunch of magical gear.

If I start a new party, the level seems fine, but their gear options are ... somewhat lacking.

I don't recall much about Burial Isle other than the fact that it's going to be full of undead, so some anti-undead gear is probably a good idea.

Recommended purchases & proficiencies?

Recommended party members for the early game?

Any strategy for an early dual-class, or should I only consider dual-classing via an import from an IWD game?

Thanks for any advice.

JuliusBorisov

Comments

• semiticgodsemiticgod Member, Moderator Posts: 14,077
    An unkitted bard would be a good idea. There's a bard song that protects from sound attacks (50% chance per round), and there are some horribly powerful enemy sound attacks from the Wailing Virgins.

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 4,977
    make sure to learn mass invisibility, it gives a great +4 to all saves, and -4 to hit for enemies, and it seems to me that enemies aren't to keen on dispelling invisibility

semiticgodJuliusBorisovDJKajuru
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2015
    I'm thinking to start the default group in MP saving their gear and replacing them with hand-picked group via arbitration -

Well it appears the premades have no equipment - just 15K gold to buy some which I suspect will not go far when outfitting a full party from scratch...

Post edited by Wanderon on
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 159
    Just use keeper for gear. Otherwise your wasting precious gaming time.

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    edited December 2015
    Here's what I found:
    - With a high Charisma, a single character can talk his or her way through the initial Barbarian camp visit for ~416k xp.
    - That means it's possible to have single characters dual-class immediately and get both classes active before combat starts.

Specific combos where this works:
    - Cleric > Mage.
    - Fighter > Thief.
    - Fighter > Druid.

I think Cleric > Thief would also work. Unfortunately Fighter > Cleric seems to NOT work, but it might be close enough that you don't feel bad toughing it out for a few more fights.

The major downside of this strategy is that every solo character must have a high Charisma to survive the Barbarian camp ... that is, to escape without combat.

inethsemiticgodJuliusBorisov
  • Artix00Artix00 Member Posts: 11
    You might need a an inquisitor or anyone that can deflect or nullify magic.... Because in the beginning, once you make it to burial Isle, you fight off a bunch spirit animals that debuff the crap out of your party. There are also a party Shamans waiting for you so prepare caution. So....have an inquisitors or clerics with dispell magic or deflect magic...ect.... Good luck