Skip to content

Any Advice for Starting a New Party in Heart of Winter?

I see that there's a full default party who come with a bunch of magical gear.

If I start a new party, the level seems fine, but their gear options are ... somewhat lacking.

I don't recall much about Burial Isle other than the fact that it's going to be full of undead, so some anti-undead gear is probably a good idea.

Recommended purchases & proficiencies?

Recommended party members for the early game?

Any strategy for an early dual-class, or should I only consider dual-classing via an import from an IWD game?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    An unkitted bard would be a good idea. There's a bard song that protects from sound attacks (50% chance per round), and there are some horribly powerful enemy sound attacks from the Wailing Virgins.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    make sure to learn mass invisibility, it gives a great +4 to all saves, and -4 to hit for enemies, and it seems to me that enemies aren't to keen on dispelling invisibility
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    edited November 2015
    I'm thinking to start the default group in MP saving their gear and replacing them with hand-picked group via arbitration -

Well it appears the premades have no equipment - just 15K gold to buy some which I suspect will not go far when outfitting a full party from scratch...
    Post edited by Wanderon on
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Just use keeper for gear. Otherwise your wasting precious gaming time.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    edited December 2015
    Here's what I found:
    - With a high Charisma, a single character can talk his or her way through the initial Barbarian camp visit for ~416k xp.
    - That means it's possible to have single characters dual-class immediately and get both classes active before combat starts.

Specific combos where this works:
    - Cleric > Mage.
    - Fighter > Thief.
    - Fighter > Druid.

I think Cleric > Thief would also work. Unfortunately Fighter > Cleric seems to NOT work, but it might be close enough that you don't feel bad toughing it out for a few more fights.

The major downside of this strategy is that every solo character must have a high Charisma to survive the Barbarian camp ... that is, to escape without combat.
  • Artix00Artix00 Member Posts: 11
    You might need a an inquisitor or anyone that can deflect or nullify magic.... Because in the beginning, once you make it to burial Isle, you fight off a bunch spirit animals that debuff the crap out of your party. There are also a party Shamans waiting for you so prepare caution. So....have an inquisitors or clerics with dispell magic or deflect magic...ect.... Good luck