Skip to content

Design a new NPC for Planescape: Torment

AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
I love Planescape Torment. It has been and continues to be my favorite video game of all time. However, after my umpteenth playthrough, I've found it to be a bit same-y. So, I was thinking about what kind of NPCs could be added to make it more interesting. I feel like the domain of plausible Planescape NPCs far exceeds the domain of plausible Baldur's Gate NPCs; the beauty of the Planescape setting is that anything can happen. I know that Planescape isn't exactly the most mod friendly game, so this is mostly theoretical, but I'm curious to see what kind of NPCs people would come up with when everything in the multiverse becomes fair game.

Comments

• shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    The problem with that prospect is that, perhaps moreso than any other game, every single party member in PS:T (with the possible exception of Nordom) has a deep connection to both the overall story and the Nameless One's past. Introducing a new character into that mix is a daunting, and perhaps inadvisable, prospect unless it's someone already shown to have that same kind of bond to TNO - someone like Mebbeth or Fhjull.
  • Sorvan76Sorvan76 Member Posts: 76
    Torment was my favourite PC game of all time. I'm a book reader, usually - and to me this was the closest game to reading a book ever, lol.

Check out my monster hunter (new 2nd edition kit) thread. I think one of those would fit in in to Torment quite nicely.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    @shawne , I agree and it is important to consider how you would link such an NPC to the Nameless One's past. But given that the Nameless One has lived quite some time, and has forgotten numerous incarnations, I'm sure that a new NPC could be explained. This is mostly theoretical and I think that there could be some interesting ideas... Not like Planescape's ancient engine is particularly mod friendly anyway.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    I think it's more that after Qwill's Unfinished Business tied up the last few loose plot threads, there really wasn't a need for additional mods - it's not like BG where the story's open enough that just about any type of adventure could cross your path and get involved in the Bhaalspawn saga.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Name: Thkatla
    Race: Bariaur
    Alignment: Neutral
    Sigil Faction: Athar
    Multiclass: Priest/Thief or Ranger/Priest
    Deity: The Great Unknown
    Strength: 14
    Dexterity: 11
    Constitution: 17
    Intelligence: 15
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 13

I always felt the lack of joinable Bariaur NPC's in Planescape: Torment to be rather frustrating. Especially since no other (A)D&D game to my knowledge has centauric races... other than Driders, Wemics and Skorpionfolks/Stingers, I mean. So if there's ever an NPC mod for Planescape: Torment (EE), I surely hope it's gonna be a Bariaur.
    @Kamigoroshi , I was hoping that there would eventually be a bariaur NPC too. Although maybe with a slightly different name so its not just Athkatla with the first letter cut off :wink: . How would she be a part of the Nameless One's story?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Since bariaurs are hailing from the plane of Ysgard, I simply gave her a norse name. Thkatla appears within the Njal's Saga for those who are interested in old literature. :wink:

I haven't giving a possible background much thought by the time of that post. Though I do believe that 'temporal' companions would suit Planescape: Torment the best. Maybe for the duration of a series of short custom quests.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    I always thought an Abishai would make an outstanding NPC in the later game, perhaps one of the lads in the Smouldering Corpse Bar, deserted from the Blood War and on the run (you would need to kill his companion in order for him to join you). I always felt these two (the names escape me) were under-utilized in the story. What an awesome companion he/she/it would make during the Pillar of Skulls quest or the Curst scenario!
    @Sharguild , even before the Baator and Curst parts of the storyline. Imagine the potential interactions between Annah and the abishai, or, even better, Grace and the abishai. In addition, there is only one "extreme alignment" character in the game (Morte) even if he was pretty open to things. Another strong alignment NPC would be interesting, especially a lawful evil one.
    edited November 2015
    If I may mention one other issue I have regarding the NPCs, I found Grace's spell collection underwhelming. Sure it was great having a medic on the team (especially in the Modron maze!) but her offensive spells were "meh".
    Assuredly, if you ran the N.O. as a Mage you were certainly not lacking in spells but as a Fighter or Thief, only Dak'kon really contributed in the spell department. I think Grace had MUCH more potential than she was ultimately given.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    It's been many, many years since I played PS:T myself, but I remember the character "O" spurring my imagination.

I agree on abishai though. That would have been really interresting.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I would like to see a mod that lets Morte use Lilarcor. The banters would be great.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2015
    I had an idea for an air genasi bard. Unique spell list, and uses instruments as weapons. Axe guitar, etc. The character is gay, and has a personal sidequest to travel to the City of Brass on the elemental plane of Fire to rescue his efreet lover.
    Post edited by Fardragon on
    Just a bit more info on the Abishai in the SCB (I loaded the game to check);
    The two are named Aethelgrin and Tegar'in and are Black Abishai.
    According to Morte, they are suspected of being deserters from the "Blood War".
    There was a plan for a quest to get a pendant (of Yemeth) from a "Collector" for them apparently but like many other quests, it got squashed due to time limitations ( damn Interplay!).
    They evidently know the N.O. from previous incarnations and lament his memory loss (sarcastically I suspect). What dialogue is still provided from them is quite interesting ( with high Wisdom at least), and gets quite confrontational with Grace in the group she being a Tanar'ri and they being Baatezu.
    Not to hog the conversation but I think their previous dealings with N.O. would provide adequate fodder to flesh out an excellent party member ( though if you have Grace, it would probably result in bloodshed).
    Personally, if I had an Abishai in the group, I would not mourn the loss of Grace (see what I did there? heh) for long. And for an evil leaning party, Ignus and Tegar'in would be an awesome duet.

M2c

edited November 2015
    Just as a wild card, I think "Barking Wilder" would also have been an incredible party member, especially if you elected to join the Anarchists.
    He wasn't a Factol, just a group leader. That would have been "wild'.
    Ok, I'll stop the D'Es now...heh.
    For special abilities, perhaps "gift of tongues" a means to heavily persuade someone ( he was coherent when possessed during your meeting with him) or special skill - "Insanity" which would affect an enemy similar to the spell Feeblemind?
    Just some thoughts.
    He and Morte would have ripped up the screen with banter I imagine.
    OK, one more, I'm on a roll. Soego. How cool would it have been to have a Dustman/Wererat as a party member?