Skip to content

Dread Wolves should be undead.

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
Repro Steps:
1. Load attached save game.
2. Use the scroll of Protection from the Undead in Starkon's quick slot to protect him from Undead.
3. Have Starkon head outside the gates to the Bhaal temple and directly to the east all alone while he is protected.
4. Observe the behavior of the dread wolf that is there.

Observed: The dread wolf attacks because it is not classified as undead.

Expected: Dread wolves are supposed to be undead. It should not be able to attack Starkon.

Notes: The AD&D Monstrous Manual says dread wolves are undead. More relevant to BG, however, they are equipped with ring95 which is used almost exclusively by undead and nonliving creatures. You changed vampiric wolves into undead creatures; now it is the dread wolf's turn.
sarevok57[Deleted User]SertoriusJuliusBorisovelminster

Comments

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    They are also missing regeneration and diseased bite.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @AstroBryGuy I know. I am not the kind of person who is a PnP perfectionist that insists that everything in BG should follow PnP rules. The link to the monster manual was just to back up my lore (since I was not 100% sure that dread wolves were supposed to be undead) and is admittedly somewhat irrelevant to the report. I should emphasize that I would not have made this report were it not for the fact that the Devs already changed the vampiric wolf from a monster to an undead. I would also not have made this report had it not had ring95 equipped. This kind of thing is somewhat out of my comfort zone since I am not the best with lore and personally I usually don't like reports of this nature. Again, I want to emphasize that this is just me seeing the official change made to vampiric wolves by the devs and deciding to throw it out there that dread wolves are supposed to be undead too.
    JuliusBorisovMaxxximus
  • MaxxximusMaxxximus Member Posts: 322
    @Dee can we hope to see dread wolf as undead with diseased bite and regeneration in 1.4 bg(2)ee?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    We're not counting this one as a bug, but that doesn't discount it from consideration. I can't make any promises about its implementation in the next update, but it's on our radar at least.

To be clear, though, we'd only be looking at changing its type to "Undead", not the other things you mentioned.

So to sum up: Not a bug, but an appropriate revision that has precedent with the Vampiric Wolves, and may or may not be in the next update. I hope that's not too ambiguous!
    JuliusBorisovelminster