Skip to content

Age of Empires IV

2»

Comments

• themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    Fan preview is happening now:
    https://fanpreview.ageofempires.com
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I liked the trailer. They showed 5 minutes of gameplay I would want to play.

https://youtu.be/TTaCrP_U4ao
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The stress test is about 15gb in size
    edited September 2021
    For anyone who is looking to play a single player game, you can go to multiplayer -> custom .

This won't let you save (since it is still a multiplayer game even if you do just have AI) but it's better than nothing.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    So how is the game, @elminster? Is it fun?
    edited September 2021
    Meh. There are things I like about it. Like each time you advance in age I think they change the languages.

So if you play Dark Age you hear old English. Then I think that becomes middle English in later ages.

I like the idea of building a specific building that grants a bonus when you level up. AoE3 had this as well for the asian civs.

It kind of seems like they were going for an AoE 2 style with the civs. Where the civs seem like they borrow many units.

That would be fine if there were like 30 civs, but with only 8 civs they really need to feel more unique. Its weird. It's like they couldn't decide on whether to take the very customized approach of AoE3 or the much more general approach of AoE2. They lean towards the latter but this only works in AoE2 because it has so many civs.

Anyways, I'd give it a 7/10. There just isn't enough about it that really feels unique. Also the visuals are too cartoony and I think AoE 2 Definitive Edition is miles better.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    elminster wrote: »
    It kind of seems like they were going for an AoE 2 style with the civs. Where the civs seem like they borrow many units.

That would be fine if there were like 30 civs, but with only 8 civs they really need to feel more unique. Its weird. It's like they couldn't decide on whether to take the very customized approach of AoE3 or the much more general approach of AoE2. They lean towards the latter but this only works in AoE2 because it has so many civs.
    Yeah, more would be smarter. To be fair Age of Kings only had 13. But Age of Empires 2 has so much content with campaigns, civs, and mods at this point it is kind of hard to ask the fans to shell out $60 for what little IV has to offer, especially if they intend on DLC for it. It will feel like less bang for your buck every purchase if the game is inferior to its older but more popular and more experienced predecessor. I think it was a bad idea to have it try to be the new AoE2. It isn't going to hold up.

I'd much rather it have been a new time period or return to antiquity since the first game is clunky even with the DE work up.