Skip to content

Baldur's Gate sewers

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
I'm just curious what peoples thoughts are on them.

I'm working on a mod at the moment that has a component that will push people into using them in some of Chapter 7, so I'm thinking of ways to make it clearer or more logical for people using them. Personally without using a map online I normally have no idea where the heck I'm going in them (they don't seem to line up at all with the above ground maps).

So basically I just wanted to see if people have a similar experience when it comes to them. To give you an idea of what I mean when I say they don't line up check out these images and where the different entrances/exits are in relation to eachother (these are shown as E1, NE1, etc). A good example is E1 and E4 (which are nearly right next to eachother in the sewers but nowhere near eachother above ground).

Eastern Sewers

Baldur's Gate North East

Baldur's Gate East

Baldur's Gate South East

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I agree that the entrances/exits are quite difficult to navigate without an online map, since the underground distances and directions don't match up with the ground-level locations of the same entrances/exits.

I tend to use only a handful of the entrances/exits, whose ground-level locations I can remember.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    I have always hated the BG sewers. By that point in the game they are usually a pushover with no useful rewards. I always grind through them gritting my teeth as I am a completionist. Perhaps I'll deal with them early this run to change things up.

I agree a more logical entrance/exit scheme makes sense.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    I like this idea a lot @dunbar, with the maps in Thieves Cant for added measure!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Generally I'm viewing this one as a case of practicality within the forgotten realms universe and easy of use for players. Sewers primary purpose in this case would be to provide a place to remove waste water and (because the streets are covered in stone) to drain the streets when it rains. The only logical reason I can think of for making the sewers so confusing would be for defensive reasons.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    There's some terrific encounters in the sewers. As far as that goes, I like them fine. But navigating them is NOT easy!
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944

They're meant to confuse even the greatest Mages in the realms, brave warrior @elminster.

Ehm, Fighter/mage/thief http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Elminster_Aumar

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    brus said:

They're meant to confuse even the greatest Mages in the realms, brave warrior @elminster.

Ehm, Fighter/mage/thief http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Elminster_Aumar

What a power gamer!
    edited December 2015

What a power gamer!

BG MLG!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Think of it as a chocolate Easter egg - you know its shell well and like it, but once you get into it and find the surprise, you'll always go like "O, hey, I'm here now!" -- actually, that makes absolutely no sense, but all I'm saying is - think of the sewers as a space-time inter-dimensional gateway to the world of goo!
  • BorderBorder Member Posts: 32
    The sewers are the one place I largely ignore even in my "completionist" playthroughs. We hates it.
    edited December 2015

Think of it as a chocolate Easter egg - you know its shell well and like it, but once you get into it and find the surprise, you'll always go like "O, hey, I'm here now!" -- actually, that makes absolutely no sense, but all I'm saying is - think of the sewers as a space-time inter-dimensional gateway to the world of goo!

Maybe sewers are another plane in which you travel along made by some evil wizard who wants you to get lost in it. That would explain the bathtub. There are no bathtubs in BG universe exept a circular pools. :wink:
    Post edited by brus on
  • xPersonOfChaosxxPersonOfChaosx Member Posts: 21
    I find the BG sewers a bit dull anyway if I'm honest. For the space each sewer area apparently covers, there are barely any good battles or decent rewards from those battles. I got really excited when I primarily discovered them, but afterwards I was just like