Skip to content

What are crushing attacks?

The Potion of Absorption improves your AC by an impressive -10 against crushing attacks, which would be great... if I knew what it means.

I guess that blunt weapons (maces, staves, etc.) have crushing attacks, but it's just a guess, and anyway usually I can't tell what weapon I'm being attacked with. Apart from that, many monsters use claws or fists instead of weapons. I guess that fists would be crushing and claws wouldn't, but again, it's a guess and I can't tell what I'm being attacked with. Any hints?

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    BGEE doesn't really tell you what kind of attack is being used against you; I noticed this earlier this evening when trying to figure out how to approach then wyverns in Cloakwood. You are correct, though--"crushing" attacks would be anything hitting you with blunt force--mace, quarterstaff, fist, etc. Many monsters attack via crushing but a few like spiders attack via piercing. If I recall correctly, IWDEE will tell you what kind of attack is being used against you.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2015
    As you guessed crushing attacks for humanoid characters are often going to be coming from maces, staves, etc. Enemies that attack you that do crushing damage would be like ogres, ogrillon, bears and demons.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    In BG2, demons and vampires use crushing attacks as well, though it looks like they would deal slashing or piercing damage. Even the Slayer does crushing damage.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Great in BG1 against flesh golems. When going for the tome of con early it is a godsend
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    I use it more for it's electrical immunity. Pretty much necessary to not get murdered by Seniyad's Call Lightning, which does way too much damage for the level at which you'd face him.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2015

each damage source plays a different hit sound. After a while you start memorizing them. It also changes depending on the victim armor but it's still recognizable.

This. Piercing attacks have a short, :plink: sound in bg1, a better :snikt: stabbing sound in bg2. Crushing attacks have a more thud to it. Armor worn affects the sound effect too, the game devs think everything!

Also, ogres/ogrillions, al golems and some slimes all have crushing attacks. Hobgobs use bastardswords, so they are slashers. Kobolds and xvarts are piercers with shortswords.
    If you enable attack rolls, you may see the effects of the potion of absorbtion. An ogre will roll with a minus to attack when you are under the effect of the potion.

Chain mail is suspectible to crushing attacks (as the links of the chain press into your skin) so attackers get +2 bonus when attacking with crushing weapons. Leather does not protect against piercing and missile at all, archers and piercers get +2 bonus to attack rolls when attacking a leather worn character. So attacking leather clad bandits with arrows/daggers/short swords/spears work marvels.

Studded leather is very different. It is good armor, further giving bonus ac against slashers. So slasher enemies will have minus to their attack rolls if you wear studded.
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182

In BG2, demons and vampires use crushing attacks as well, though it looks like they would deal slashing or piercing damage. Even the Slayer does crushing damage.

Well, if you think about it, they are hitting you with so much force that the claws are just icing on the cake.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited December 2015

Well, if you think about it, they are hitting you with so much force that the claws are just icing on the cake.
    That, and in later versions of d&d vampires have a 'slam' attack that drains levels. You would think that a vampire needs to scratch with his claws or bire with his fangs to draw life. They still need to attach their fangs to drink blood, but they can employ a slap to the face to weaken foes first, apparently.
    Hıwever, In the game animations, vampires employ a clawing animation and a biting one (they attack with their heads, so either a bite or a headbutt) so..? Bodhi also applies high kicks which makes sense for crushing attack.

• AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    Thanks, guys, some useful pointers here. I don't imagine that there is any list where you can check this info, right?
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    D&D vampires are a lot different from Hollywood/Female Literature vampires. For one thing, they are actually scary.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

D&D vampires are a lot different from Hollywood/Female Literature vampires. For one thing, they are actually scary.

And cool, but not really in the kind of way that makes you want to be one yourself.