Skip to content

The Black Pits II Ending = What the Hell?!

HalfOrcBeastmasterHalfOrcBeastmaster Member Posts: 301
Thank goodness I didn't get through the second chapter of the "arena" levels in the Enhanced Edition on pure skill and determination alone, because if I did, I expect I would be almost choking with rage right now, instead of confused and exasperated.

Leaving as many spoilers to the side as possible, I can say it provided a whole lot of catharsis for me. But just when things were getting good, that smug bastard Baeloth appeared out of f***ing nowhere and teleported my party back to the Black Pits, which the backstory says they fought hard to escape from. After he basically stood in the corner mocking me with how he was right there and I couldn't so much as give him a sock on the jaw without the Winged's interference.

I hope whoever wrote that ending had more fun than I did, because it was the equivalent of fighting to the end of Throne of Bhaal and then suddenly having someone leap out from behind a pillar and stealing our Bhaal essence and ascending to godhood while going, "Nya-na-nee-na-na!" the whole time. Is that really how you reward hard work and effort when your endings aren't scripted by existing content being kept inviolate?

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I think the devs wanted to leave an open ending, maybe for a dlc in the future to continue epic fighting in Baeloth's new and blacker pits? If it was 'and they all lived happily every after' ending, it would have been too final.

BTW I would pay for a dlc continuing of Black pits.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    I've played through BP2 only once, and that's not what happened to me ... but if that's one of the alternative endings which I didn't experience, then I'm glad I didn't get that one. Indeed it does sound very odd.
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    That's definitely not the ending I got either the one time I played it...I didn't realize there were alternate endings. I killed the Winged though, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I wouldn't have liked that ending either, if I got it. I would also have been severely disappointed, so I sympathize.
  • HalfOrcBeastmasterHalfOrcBeastmaster Member Posts: 301
    "Alternate" endings? There's more than one? Clearly, I have not been informed about the full range of possible outcomes. If karma plays a part in this, I'd sure like to hear about it, because I played as a party of full-fledged heroes, I did!
    There are alternative endings? I killed the Winged and all her friends in the final confrontation as well. But the ending was the same.
    ...Okay, now I'm thoroughly confused. Just what is the meaning of all this?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I also got the ending where Baeloth shows up and kidnap you again and I also killed the Winged if it matters.

What is the alternative ending? You manage to escape?
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited December 2015
    There is no alternate ending and this one does not sound too absurd IMHO.
    Even if you are at epic levels you will be exhausted after such a battle (all of the enemies are very high level as well), and Baeloth is still a very powerful Sorcerer anyway, despite his arrogance. I don't find it too absurd that he should be able to capture the exhausted team, not to mention he could have put some spell components into your dishes or that kind of things.

The only "alternate ending" is if you win against the Winged's Crew in the very first ambush but this won't happen with a normal team anyway.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Spoiler request.

I'm never going to play the black pits -- because gladiator pit games are boring -- but now I'm curiou. How does the BP2 end?
    I did get a *similar* ending, with Baeloth teleporting me, but it never specifically showed or said we were going to the Black Pits. It was heavily implied, but still open enough that I could definitely pretend they actually went home if I wanted to...is this what happened to you, @HalfOrcBeastmaster, or did it actually cut to the Black Pits?

Spoiler request.

I'm never going to play the black pits -- because gladiator pit games are boring -- but now I'm curiou. How does the BP2 end?

I would highly recommend you to play bp2. It is fun and has tactical depths. Much, much better than bp1.
    @killerrabbit :
    You should give it a try, BP2 has some nice sidequests as well and quite a good piece of story as well. But if you want to be spoiled, here you go:

After each fight you will be interviewed by a scribe named Stannel Eibor who has the same voice and the same appreciation for alliterations as Baeloth, the ex-master of the Black Pits. If you ask him about that he will be displeased.
    After the final fight he will interview you and then reveal he is actually Baeloth, and he teleports the team somewhere. Then you have a short cutscene involving Dennaton and Szass Tam and it ends
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @Arunsun
    But you can't win against them.. Can you? I remember that after a certain amount of time, I got deus ex machina'd to black bit 2.

Also my problem with the ending is the fact you handed Baeloth is @$$ even when he had back up, and a djinn's protection. Unless he deux ex machina you, there really shouldn't be a black pit 3 with him in control since he should know that he can't beat you, and this time he doesn't have a djinn to protect him.
    @DragonKing I've beat them in the first confrontation. It's extremely difficult, but definitely not impossible.

@Arunsun
    But you can't win against them.. Can you? I remember that after a certain amount of time, I got deus ex machina'd to black bit 2.

Also my problem with the ending is the fact you handed Baeloth is @$$ even when he had back up, and a djinn's protection. Unless he deux ex machina you, there really shouldn't be a black pit 3 with him in control since he should know that he can't beat you, and this time he doesn't have a djinn to protect him.

Well, technically, all of them are killable, since none have a minHP item equipped, and if you manage to kill them you do get a special dialogue.
    I have done it a couple time with a max level, top equipment sorcerer, but I am rather sure no one can do it with a 6 member party with no equipment, no spells (since you just created them and they could not memorize any) and 500k experience which is what you normally get when you start BP2. Even as a max level team it is quite hard because the Winged has those short cast, no save Otiluke Resilient sphere.

As for the ending, if you take a look at Baeloth Character File in BG2 he now is a level 31 sorcerer with 8M exp, that's stronger than what you get in the end in BP2, and the XP cap in BG2. He IS very very strong as such. The question might then be: how did he get that strong?
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    To win against the Winged in the first ambush you need to take her down in less than a few rounds (Time Stop is useful for that) or else she will capture you no matter your saves/MR/Spell Protections.
    Gotural said:

To win against the Winged in the first ambush you need to take her down in less than a few rounds (Time Stop is useful for that) or else she will capture you no matter your saves/MR/Spell Protections.

You may as well, if using a low Thac0, high level warrior, use GWW to disrupt her casting, since it is fast but not instantaneous, that saved the day more than once in my case
    Arunsun said:

Well, technically, all of them are killable, since none have a minHP item equipped, and if you manage to kill them you do get a special dialogue.
    I have done it a couple time with a max level, top equipment sorcerer, but I am rather sure no one can do it with a 6 member party with no equipment, no spells (since you just created them and they could not memorize any) and 500k experience which is what you normally get when you start BP2. Even as a max level team it is quite hard because the Winged has those short cast, no save Otiluke Resilient sphere.

As for the ending, if you take a look at Baeloth Character File in BG2 he now is a level 31 sorcerer with 8M exp, that's stronger than what you get in the end in BP2, and the XP cap in BG2. He IS very very strong as such. The question might then be: how did he get that strong?

He cheated. He claims you only beat him because you were cheating, but I bet you anything Baeloth's not above moving the goalposts when the fight's not going his way.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Yeah, I don't know how much of a priority story/writing was for BP2, given that it's basically a combat simulator, but sheesh, what a mess. BG players complained for years that they couldn't call out Melissan for being untrustworthy, so naturally the best thing to do is plant "Stannel Eibor" in the Black Pits (with a mispelled anagram to boot!), make no effort at all to disguise who he is, and just have him sit there and insult you the entire campaign for no real reason (since there's no variable outcome regardless of what you say to him).

And the ending... well, it's strangely symptomatic of Beamdog writing in general for the EEs, in that they seem to have a deep-rooted objection to clean victories: the quests for Rasaad, Neera and Hexxat all culminate in fights you can't win, and BP2's Dennaton gets his comeuppance from someone you'll only recognize if you do Neera's content, while Baeloth gets to swoop in and nullify your BP2 win by kidnapping you again. Just very weird and unsatisfying creative decisions overall.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    My interpretation of the BP2 ending has always been the happy end, until I've stumbled upon this thread.
    shawne said:

Yeah, I don't know how much of a priority story/writing was for BP2, given that it's basically a combat simulator, but sheesh, what a mess. BG players complained for years that they couldn't call out Melissan for being untrustworthy, so naturally the best thing to do is plant "Stannel Eibor" in the Black Pits (with a mispelled anagram to boot!), make no effort at all to disguise who he is, and just have him sit there and insult you the entire campaign for no real reason (since there's no variable outcome regardless of what you say to him).

And the ending... well, it's strangely symptomatic of Beamdog writing in general for the EEs, in that they seem to have a deep-rooted objection to clean victories: the quests for Rasaad, Neera and Hexxat all culminate in fights you can't win, and BP2's Dennaton gets his comeuppance from someone you'll only recognize if you do Neera's content, while Baeloth gets to swoop in and nullify your BP2 win by kidnapping you again. Just very weird and unsatisfying creative decisions overall.

If you are well aware of the FR lore, in the final dialogue with Dennaton, Dennaton mentions "eliminating Aznar", and since we are in Thay, in 1369 DR, you can figure out they are speaking of Aznar Thrul, who dies 6 years later. I defeated BP2 before I bought (I am on Android) Neera, and I googled "Aznar forgotten realms" straight after, and found Aznar Thrul, Thayan Zulkir of Evocation, was killed in 1375 by Szass Tam, who does fit the superpowerful master of the arena role rather well. But yes it is a pity the aspect is not further developed, because this hidden master is mentioned more than once (Tartle, Curell, Stannel Eibor, ...)

By the way, as I am not a native English-speaker I cannot find the Stannel Eibor anagram. What is it?
    edited December 2015
    See, it should be "Stanhel Eibor", because the anagram in that case is "Baeloth Risen". But there's two n's, so instead it's "Baelotn Risen". :)

And FR lore is all well and good, but it's not quite playing fair to expect players to have that kind of knowledge, especially since you don't even see Aznar Thrul in BP2 or Neera's quest; in context of the game itself, Dennaton escapes, and then someone we don't know teleports into his room, talks to him about some scheme that has nothing to do with the actual story of BP2, and kills him while Baeloth is kidnapping the heroes again. Not exactly a climax to remember.
    Caeria said:

I did get a *similar* ending, with Baeloth teleporting me, but it never specifically showed or said we were going to the Black Pits. It was heavily implied, but still open enough that I could definitely pretend they actually went home if I wanted to...is this what happened to you, @HalfOrcBeastmaster, or did it actually cut to the Black Pits?
    @Caeria
    Well, it didn't say where he was taking us, but somehow I find it highly unlikely that an evil b*****d like Baeloth would actually teleport us home. That would be just too much suspension of disbelief for me.
    Ardanis said:

My interpretation of the BP2 ending has always been the happy end, until I've stumbled upon this thread.

Sorry to have ruined it for you. <-This is not a sarcastic remark. Neither is what I'm typing.

<blockquote class="UserQuote">
    Arunsun said:

There is no alternate ending and this one does not sound too absurd IMHO.
    Even if you are at epic levels you will be exhausted after such a battle (all of the enemies are very high level as well), and Baeloth is still a very powerful Sorcerer anyway, despite his arrogance. I don't find it too absurd that he should be able to capture the exhausted team, not to mention he could have put some spell components into your dishes or that kind of things.

I'm not complaining that the ending doesn't make sense. I'm complaining that after everything I did to get there, I got whisked away to gods only know where by an infuriatingly smug piece of crap who by all rights should have stayed dead after the original Black Pits.
    The fact that you hate Bealoth so much, proves the devs were succesful in creating a truly abominable villain:one you just love to hate! :)
    @HalfOrcBeastmaster Ahh, okay. I prefer to interpret it differently, because I don't like being depressed :smile:
    Thanks for the insight, @AndrewFoley! (For the record, I've always considered the pit fighter characters to be the best part of BP2, so kudos for that!)

As for the phenomenally-talented Mark Meer, I'm going to stand by my assumption that he was channeling Mark Hamill's Joker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtmb8sYyorM
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    @AndrewFoley - Hey, at least you didn't name him Htoleab :v
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

And that's how the sausage gets made. Part of it anyway. The word sausage.

In the village of Far Soh (noted for its choral traditions), there lived a famous sage. His actual name was very ordinary and widely duplicated, so he was usually identified as the Soh Sage. Among his famous achievements, he once came up with lucrative advice to a local butcher who was wondering what to do with all the leftover lips, a$$holes and gut-linings. The rest is ... mmm, well, not history, but lore ...
    edited December 2015
    @AndrewFoley
    Thank you for the insight, and yeah that anagram thing confused me for a while as well, though I did think of Stan Lee.
    And congratulations for the pit fighters, each of them is really a good one in my opinion. I'd have liked more interaction with them, because most of them is just "will you fight with me?" or "will you make a poison for Joker?", but their personality is great and unique. I particularly like Brother Ellraish
    scriver said:

@AndrewFoley - Hey, at least you didn't name him Htoleab :v

Who said "Koveras"?
    Loatheb would have been nice but it is taken by Warcraft...