Skip to content

How do I go about editing item effects?

So basically, I want to edit Angurvadal to make the strength bonus to be set to 25, instead of 22 - how do I go about changing this?

Comments

• CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    It's really easy. All you have to do is go into NI and change the strength bonus effect from 22 to 25.

Alternatively, I could just do it for you, if you'd like.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    If you don't know what NI is, it's Near Infinity, an editor for Infinity Engine games. :)

You can't do these things in EEKeeper, you need some more serious tools.
  • MrNoobyMrNooby Member Posts: 131
    I appreciate the offer Caeria - I'll give it a go myself to begin with - better that I can do things like this without needing someone to do it for me - but if I have trouble, I might ask you for help :)

Thanks Tansheron, I'll grab that and see if I can figure it out. I'm sure it should be simple enough.
    Hey, @MrNooby, we've all got to start somewhere! I'm sure you won't need my help, but I'm here if you do :smile:

And good call, @Lord_Tansheron...I often forget that not everyone knows what NI is, heh.
  • Giant2005Giant2005 Member Posts: 43
    Is NI how people are using the Flail of Ages +5 without the Free Action screwing them over? I have seen vague references to an unimpeded FoA around here but no details on how it is actually being accomplished.
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited December 2015
    You need this https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/releases
    1. find weapon id
    2. open NI and unbranch ITM and find that ID
    3. edit tab
    4. change effects or add new ones under item abilities
    It's easy when you get to know but I don't know what all variables mean. I got help from @AstroBryGuy , @argent77 and @Troodon80 when got stuck in some detail.
    Well, actually, NI has a really great search function, so you don't even need to know the item ID.

Some items are easier to edit than others. The FOA, for example, has 60-odd effects, several of which are related to free action. So if you want to edit out the free action, it requires effort. It's absolutely doable though.
    edited January 2016
    Okay, so I found the item easily enough. When I look at the effects, it has quite a few, and the the one that is the strength is obvious.

But it says Strength bonus (44), which confuses me since it's meant to be 22. I can't find anything else relating to strength bonus, but conveniently, 44 is double 22, so I wonder if putting that to 50 would make it 25. Am I missing something here?

Okay, so I decided to reference crom, since that sets strength to 25, to see what that looks like...and it also says strength bonus (44), so now I'm thoroughly confused. Am I trying to edit the wrong part or something?
    edited January 2016
    It doesn't exactly work that way :smile:

Each effect is numbered. The strength bonus happens to be number 44. You have to go in and edit the effect itself. When you go into the effect editor, there should be a "value" number. All you have to do is change that number from 22 to 25, you don't need to touch anything else. You might also want to edit the description so it matches which is a bit of extra work, but it's not necessary.

Here is a screenshot with a helpful box.

Here's what it gets weird for me.image

I don't seem to have a value to edit, it's replaced by unknowns. I'm going to take a guess that it's something to do with my NI, but I'm not sure what.
    Hmm, I've never had that happen to me. You could always try deleting the strength bonus effect entirely, and then create a new one. Just make sure not to save until you know it works.
    Wouldn't that present the same problem? I wouldn't have anywhere to put the value, as it'd be an unknown - this is affecting all my items, not just the sword.
    Ohh it's affecting everything? Yeah that probably wouldn't solve your problem then. I've never seen that happen in NI. The timing mode variable is also wrong, as it should be set to the 2 value, not 0. That's ver strange...is this the latest version of NI?
    edited January 2016
    I grabbed it from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/nearinfinity/

I could try a different download source and see if it changes anything.

EDIT: Just realised that on that very page, it gives a link to the latest version...as always, the solution is right in front of me :P - I'll try that and see if it changes anything.

EDIT2: Think that's the source code actually, but there is a link above me I'm going to try.
    Okay! And, if that doesn't work, the latest version can usually be found here: https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/releases
    Yep, I just had the wrong version. All looks as it should be now. How do I change the description of the item though? The OCD in me would never forgive me if it still said 22 strength.
    Yay!! :smile:

There are actually two ways to do this, depending on how you want it done. You can update the original string reference, which I personally don't like to do (there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, I just dislike messing with original string references), or you can create a new string reference and just copy-and-paste the original description, changing only the strength. The description can be found under the "identified description" place.
    edited January 2016
    How do I edit or create a new one? I saw where the description was - but I was unable to edit it, only highlight it.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated :)
    First, highlight the description. There will be an edit button.

Then you have a couple of choices: you can simply edit the original string reference and save, or you can
    add a new string reference. If you add a new string reference, be sure to make a note of the number that appears in the upper left hand corner. Also, if you make a new string reference, be sure to set the entry type value to 1.

If you edited the existing string reference, you're done. If you created a new one, you must go back and update the string reference number on the item's edit page, like so.

• ProhozhayaProhozhaya Member Posts: 3
    Sorry to intrude, but while we are on topic of string references, how do I put them into weidu installer, so that I don't have to change the item in NI each time I reinstall the game?
    I know you can use
    SAY 0x50 ~your unidentified description~
    SAY 0x54 ~your identified description~
    but how to do the same with string references? And is there anything wrong with writing description in .tp2 file? I've never changed descriptions, but renaming items like that seemed to work fine.