Skip to content

Male Romance

ToggboyToggboy Member Posts: 18
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Looking through the new characters, I still see that the game is still very much male oriented when it comes to the romance. Will there be anything down the line to remedy that do you think?

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    The developers have tried to balance it out by making both Dorn and Rasaad romanceable by female PCs. Neera and one of the male NPCs will be romanceable by males. @Dave has also suggested that romantic content for non-straight females is coming post-ship.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    So wait a second... Either Dorn or Rasaad are going to be bisexual? When it was said by Trent that one of the NPCs would be romancable by either Gender, I TOTALLY thought it was going to be Neera lol, homosexuality in males is much more taboo, that I didn't think that Beamdog would actually start it off with a gay male NPC
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited September 2012
    deleted post
    too many generalisations.
    As an aside, I just want to first say that I am not at all, whatsoever, gaybashing in the slightest
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Xavoria Don't worry, I didn't get that impression at all. :)
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Xavioria I don't think anyone would have taken your comments that way. From what I've seen on this forum, I would say that most people here are open-minded and non-homophobic. That may be due to the predominance of Europeans here!
    Well I'm actually a homosexual myself, and I reread my post, and I personally don't think I would have gotten that impression from my own post, HAD i read it as if it weren't my own... but I might be able to suspend disbelief for a second, and I know that homosexuality is a huge controversy (I deal with it every day of my life) and I just want to put a disclaimer in there somewhere.

As for the post in and of itself, I really just wanted to emphasize my surprise. I'm not one of those gays with an "agenda" but, being able to roleplay as a gay person without having to alter the rules or flags within the game really does surprise me to a certain extent.

Of course I should have figured as much with Dragon Age: Origins and that elf rogue guy...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Mortianna Non-homophobic, Non-European here. Yeah, I'm an American. Not all of us are prats, to use the British expression.
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    I really hope that the bisex character is Dorn, because I'm thinking of playing a male evil character, and a romance with the half-orc blackguard would be sweeeeet.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    I'm trying to become more open minded about gay/lesbian romances in games and I think that as long as a character is either strait/bi/gay/lesbian, then I'm OK. What I don't want is that every character be developed as Bi, which I know Beamdog is not doing but I have a feeling other developers are going to start taking that route, that every character can be romanced by both sexes. That I would take offense to.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    LadyRhian said:

@Mortianna Non-homophobic, Non-European here. Yeah, I'm an American. Not all of us are prats, to use the British expression.

Same here. I'm straight, not narrow. :)
  • I'm trying to become more open minded about gay/lesbian romances in games and I think that as long as a character is either strait/bi/gay/lesbian, then I'm OK. What I don't want is that every character be developed as Bi, which I know Beamdog is not doing but I have a feeling other developers are going to start taking that route, that every character can be romanced by both sexes. That I would take offense to.

Just out of curiosity, why would you be offended by it?
    (I personally believe the world would be a happier place if everyone was bisexual)
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012

I'm trying to become more open minded about gay/lesbian romances in games and I think that as long as a character is either strait/bi/gay/lesbian, then I'm OK. What I don't want is that every character be developed as Bi, which I know Beamdog is not doing but I have a feeling other developers are going to start taking that route, that every character can be romanced by both sexes. That I would take offense to.

Just out of curiosity, why would you be offended by it?
    (I personally believe the world would be a happier place if everyone was bisexual)
    I'm not sure how you contrive happiness from bisexuality, but that's for another forum.

Anyways, I don't like the idea that every man or woman can be romanced into a homosexual relationship. Should every gay or lesbian character be able to romance into a strait relationship?

Post edited by bigdogchris on
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    edited September 2012
    Mass Effect?

1 Lesbian woman, 1 Gay man, 3 Bisexual women, 1 Bisexual Man, 1 Straight Male, 4 Straight Women.

Course this has its own flaws... definitely leans towards what a straight male gamer would want. -_-
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited September 2012
    Surprisingly, the bisexual character isn't Neera. Had it been her, both male and female main characters would have had 4 choices in the series, which makes sense... so I had assumed it was her. I assumed wrong.

So, then I thought that it's OBVIOUSLY Rasaad, because COME ON!
    Just look at him and then look at Dorn! While Rasaad gives more of a gay vibe, Dorn is something that no man would touch. :P

Now, and I hope I'm wrong... I'm thinking that the bisexual character might actually be Dorn. Why? His quote. It takes a whole new meaning.
    He doesn't follow the "regular, standardized, morality of contemporary society"... which of course means he's a blackguard and has his own, twisted, evil rule of conduct that he refuses to question.
    But maybe there's something else...
  • ToggboyToggboy Member Posts: 18
    I like Shandyr's opinion with the DA2 reference, and how I wish they can incorporate that into the game. Can anyone point me to where they said that Rassad and Dorn are both romanceable, because that is news to me.
  • TomokoTomoko Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2012
    Shandyr said:

But at the same time, dont we want deep sophisticated romances?
    The more romances you have the higher the risks some of them lack quality.

Agreed, however 'quality' is not the first thought I'd have thinking back to the ol' days of Anomen... more quantity as he never seemed able to shut up! Apologies to anyone that liked him, but he always seemed to me to be indicative of a very narrow view of female romance.

But of course everyone has different opinions on the matter... but yes, quality every time. If I want a shallow, boring and cliched romance I can just go out to my local pub, no need to play a video game! (FYI: I'm totally joking about that last part, I don't genuinely think men are any of those things).
    @Toggboy I believe all the new characters are romanceable, at least as "Pre-romances" in BG:EE. Apparently, they will be more fully fleshed out in BG2:EE. I have to say, I like the sound files they posted for Rasaad.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    Should come up with a name for the sexuality of a NPC that can be a LI regardless of CHARNAME's gender but isn't written as bisexual.
    @Moira Try-sexual? Will try it with anyone? ;)
    I'm looking at Romance more on term of ROMANCE. Sexuality DOES come into play... but more than that, Romance doesn't necessarily mean lustful sex (sorry for the language) all the time. There is a line that Beamdog is treading here, and although I could see how it would just be great if every character was bisexual, then it would just be easier, but I don't think the game would be better that way.

Each NPC (in BG2 anyways) is fleshed out to the point that you feel like you know them. I personally think that if, for instance, you made Jaheira Bisexual (no matter what approach you made to shift it, she WOULD be bisexual) then she would be a different person in some ways, were she to also like women.

I don't know how else to say it, and it DOES create some limiting options for those of us that would prefer to play with a homosexual relationship as opposed to a heterosexual realtionship, but that is, IMO, how it SHOULD work.

I don't know exactly how sexuality is handled in this universe, but if it is handled like it is in most societies (where they need people to have sex to have children) then it wouldn't make much sense for everyone to be totally bisexual (50/50).
    Not saying that they should change the existing characters, just that the new characters introduced should balance out the romances.

I did not like Anomen as a romance at all, but some did. Even so, that is three to one as a ration between the male and the female. I'm just asking for the same variety that the male has for the female, that's all. If they want to start making homosexual romances with new characters, awesome.

Still have seen nothing that implies the two new males are romanceable. On their pages, the sorceress is the only one labeled as a romance. Hope that is just a typo.
    @Toggboy Apparently, the pre-romance dialogues aren't finished for the others yet. That seems to be the WOG (Word of God, aka Phillip Daigle).
    @Toggboy Trent Oster said via twitter that all three will be beginning type romances, and that they will be fleshed out more when they are present in BG2. It was also said that one of the NPC's are going to be bisexual by the aforementioned developer. As @LadyRhian also said, the dialogues for the romances at the time of the updates were only finished for Neera, therefore, they didn't write that in, even though it was the intention.

So to conclude, everything about all three being romancable and ONE of the three being bisexual WAS stated by the developers.
    Awesome, thanks for the clarification! I don't have a twitter account, so I didn't get that. :)