Skip to content

Elf Assassin trilogy run - weapon proficiencies

See the title. Am thinking short bow and long sword for the Elf THACO racial bonus at level 1. For the 3rd proficiency at level 4, does anyone use darts with Elven Assassins? Darts are strong in BG1, but fall off in BG2 as I hear, so would using darts AND short bows make sense for an Elf, or better to use the pip on another weapon, e.g. quarterstaff? Quarterstaff could also wait until level 12.

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Personally I would choose one ranged option and stick to it, but as been discussed recently in another thread about maximizing dart dmg; darts and poison goes hand in hand. With that said though, bows give 2 APR base with the 3 APR tuigan bow easily aquired in early BG2. Throwing/boomerang daggers are good as well with their 2 APR and much higher base damage than darts, as well as, giving you decent melee options if you like that.

Will you go for stealth asap? If yes, then I would indeed consider choosing qstaffs for strong backstabs. If you want to be the party's only thief, then I guess you won't BS as much which may affect which prof's to choose and in what order. Also, as you of course already know, strikíng from stealth gives a THAC0 bonus, so even if the +2 THAC0 from assassin+elf sword is exciting, it's not as necessary if you plan to not engage in melee as much.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    The thing I personally have with missile weapons is that I like to change projectiles considering what I want exactly in this or that fight. So I find it useful to have proficiencies in both short bows and crossbows - when I don't need special arrows of dispelling or detonation, I usually prefer crossbow bolts of lighting for their damage. With the Crossbow of Speed APRs are the same.

And in BG2, you get an amazing Crossbow in Firetooth.

So, if you didn't go with darts at the 1st level, instead choosing Short Bows, I would take crossbows.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    Thanks @Skatan and @bengoshi for the comments. I was originally planning on long swords and short bows to start, then adding SWS and later quarterstaffs. I could pick up THS in the next game. I do plan on backstabbing and will have a second thief in both games (Imoen dueled and then Jan for BG2). I will focus on stealth and trap-setting first to expand tactical options with traps ASAP.

Something like this:

1 Long Sword (Varscona), Short Bow
    4 SWS
    8 Quarterstaff ( for late game Staff of Striking)
    12, 16, 20 TWF x 3 (I use Rogue Rebalancing which allows 3 pips in TWF for thieves)
    24 Scimitars (or short swords) for an off-hand speed-weapon after UAI
    28 THS (for Staff of Ram)

I am planning a ranged focus for my assassin in games 1-2 with liberal blade/staff backstabbing and then adding TWF in late game for additional melee tactical options. I could place THS earlier at level 12 to compliment the staff of striking, but will also use long swords.

@bengoshi, interesting strategy on using all of the fancy ammo with an Assassin, i.e. short bows AND crossbows! I do love the bolts of lightning/biting. My recent Dwarven bounty hunter used crossbows to very damaging effect in BG 1 (LCoS).
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited January 2016
    I wold go for shortsword+dart at lvl 1 for bg1.

Shortsword+2 is easy to acquire, and shortsword is better for an assasin. Faster than Varscona, so you can backstab sooner-before your stealth expires or the target moves away. Also, shortsword deals piercing damage, which gives +2 to hit vs all leather clad bandits and hobgoblins plaguing the bg1. A huge boost for a low level assasin with lousy thac0. If you attack a hobgoblin elite from the shadows with whistling sword, you get +2 from weapon, +2 from his leather armor vs your sword, +4 for backstab, +4 for the hobgob holding a bow, and your kit bonus +1 to hit. That is +13 to hit!

Darts are the best way to share the poison damage. Darts of stunning/wounding and elemental darts sold by Thalantyr are also op in bg1. (ee added those darts, right? Not some mod of mine)

In BG2, shortsword is still an excellent choice for Suna Seni's weapon, and Kundane that gives extra attack. You should also get shortbows for tactical ammo:dispel and biting arrows are the best tools in a mage slayer's arsenal. I find crossbows too unwieldy and slow for an assasin. You can get longsword prof. for easy +3 weapons like blade of roses.

Later, staves and two handed weapon style is a must for wicked backstabs with Staff of the Ram+6 and that sweet, sweet x7 modifier of a high lvl assasin.
    Thanks @lunar for the rundown. I was originally considering using both darts and short bows on the Assassin to maximize poison (darts) and tactics (short bow), as was also recommended in another thread. Adding short swords I also like for elves for the THACO bonus and faster weapon speed for hit and fade attacks. The build would go something like this then:

1 Darts, Short Swords (could sub Short Bows here in place of Darts for higher starting damage)
    4 SWS
    8 Short Bow (or Darts)
    12 Quarterstaff
    16 THS
    20, 24, 28 TWF (3x with Rogue Rebalancing)

This build seems to have good ranged options and also melee/backstabbing options all the way through.
  • GandaGanda Member Posts: 35
    lunar said:

... Darts of stunning/wounding and elemental darts sold by Thalantyr are also op in bg1. (ee added those darts, right? Not some mod of mine)...

Correct, playing un-modded EE and they are in my game.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Aerakar, I'd start dual-wielding a bit earlier. SWS is nice for the extra AC, but you can get that from a buckler as well (RR mod adds several enchanted bucklers to the game). And the crits on 19 rolls won't make a huge difference as a poisoned backstab is pretty lethal even if not critical. I think I'd pass for that.
    Also you can get speed weapons long before UAI. In fact Belm is pretty much available as soon as you escape from Irenicus' dungeon. You could even use it without scimitar proficiency and with only two pips in TWF, because that's enough for a second (poisoned) melee attack. I understand you won't be meleeing a lot early on, but sometimes it's difficult to hide after a backstab or simply faster to finish a character (read: mage) you've just poison-stabbed with a few follow-up melee strikes.
    I think Staves and a second ranged option are useful btw.
    Thanks @Blackraven for the feedback. What level do you suggest to start dual-wielding? Is it worth postponing quarterstaff for until say level 16, i.e. TWF at level 8 and 12? Or wiser to take quarterstaff at level 8 and add TWF at level 12, 16, 20?

This assumes short bow, short sword and darts at levels 1 and 4.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @Aerakar - Aha, when I commented on this question in another thread a few hours ago, you didn't mention there that you were using a mod to enable you to dual-wield.

Nevertheless, I can't see a great deal of point to it in a party run. Dual-wielding is for toe-to-toe melee combat, which isn't where an Assassin is ever going to shine. Stand back, use poison at range with high APR weapons, watch your enemies die. Don't melee at all with your Assassin (except when occasionally forced into it, obviously), because you've got warriors with you who will always be much better at taking care of the melee. Your melee weapons are for the occasional backstab, but otherwise an Assassin should be spending nearly all of his time using ranged weapons (with poison when it counts).
    edited January 2016
    @Aerakar, I agree with @Gallowglass that having a party is an important aspect and will likely mean that you won't be meleeing much. You can two people on the frontlines, plus Mage/Cleric summons to distract the enemy.
    Aerakar said:

Or wiser to take quarterstaff at level 8 and add TWF at level 12, 16, 20?

This assumes short bow, short sword and darts at levels 1 and 4.

This looks pretty solid.

You could also forego darts, and leave those to an NPC. In a full party I don't often have characters switch between different ranged weapons, but rather diversify my party members' proficiencies. Jaheira, Alora, Safana would be examples of good darts throwers in BG1; in BG2 (where darts become less useful for an Assassin compared to shortbows thanks to Tuigan with its 3 apr) Jaheira returns, and Mazzy for example could be very effective even with a single pip in darts. If you skipped both SWS and darts, you could proceed as follows:

1) Shortbows + Staves (go straight for the Martial Staff in Ulgoth's Beard; it has a speed factor of 1, its +3 enchantment compensates for the Elven racial +1 Thac0 bonus while wielding the Whistling Sword +2, and it also deals more damage than the Whistling Sword)
    4) THWS (optional, if you want a speed factor of 0 and double your crit chance; skip/postpone if for some reason no one in your party is going to use Belm in early SoA and you want to be able to dual-wield with it)
    8) Short Swords (if you want to use the Short Sword of Backstabbing in the endgame)
    12) TWF
    16) TWF
    20) TWF

This looks pretty ideal to me for an Assassin in a party.
    Yours is the voice of experience @Gallowglass, mine isn't (I've only played solo Assassins). Your explanation looks pretty compelling. There are nevertheless some details that I think can be disputed:
    - Rogue Rebalancing, which @Aerakar is playing with, adds some excellent Bucklers to the game such as Rogue's Ward and Safeguard, whose usefulness outweighs the benefits of SWS imo.
    - Longsword proficiency will never be a waste of a pip but they're either mainly good for the secondary effects, which do not require proficiency, rather than for actual backstabbing or fighting for an Assassin (Dragon Slayer, Namarra, Ras), or best used by a character with multiple APR (Answerer). I don't think longsword proficiency will offer an Assassin anything extra compared to other melee proficiencies already planned, such as Staves, Short Swords, and maybe Clubs and Scimitars. The same can be said of Katanas. There's one good (not great) Katana in SoA, which is best used by a character with multiple APR (Valygar), another nice one for Fighter/Mages, and a nifty one in ToB (late SoA) which is best used for its protections, e.g. quickly equip it when a Finger of Death is cast at you, rather than for fighting/backstabbing
    So forgoing only SWS, Longswords and Katanas, or even just two out of those three would already allow @Aerakar to dual-wield with two (or three) pips in TWF instead, and a speed weapon in the off-hand.

Having said that, if your Assassin remained relevant in combat throughout the saga relying on ranged weapons and backstabs alone, and never really missed two weapon melee proficiency then I'm the last to argue against your argument against dual-wielding. Besides, stylistically an Assassin wielding a single short blade is appealing. :)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

There are nevertheless some details that I think can be disputed:

Of course - aren't there always? :smile:

- Rogue Rebalancing, which @Aerakar is playing with, adds some excellent Bucklers to the game such as Rogue's Ward and Safeguard, whose usefulness outweighs the benefits of SWS imo.

I've not used it, so I don't know how good those bucklers may be.

But bear in mind that, for a character whose ambition with a melee weapon is to score a backstab, doubling the chance of a critical hit is a significant benefit. To be better than that, those RR bucklers must grant an extra backstab multiplier or themselves increase the critical range. Otherwise, the answer is to use the bucklers when throwing Darts, but take off the buckler (and use 1WS instead) when going for a one-handed backstab. So he still wants 1WS.

- Longsword proficiency will never be a waste of a pip but they're either mainly good for the secondary effects, which do not require proficiency, rather than for actual backstabbing or fighting for an Assassin (Dragon Slayer, Namarra, Ras), or best used by a character with multiple APR (Answerer).

I disagree. Yes, there are some bonus effects on Long Swords (and other weapons) which don't require proficiency, but there are numerous other bonus effects which apply only when the sword is actually used (in the case of an Assassin, probably for a backstab).

Burning Earth has enhanced THAC0 and damage against various enemy types, plus elemental damage as well, and can now be imported with your party from BG1ee.

If you don't like Burning Earth's elemental fire bonus, you can instead import Varscona for an elemental cold bonus.

Daystar has enhanced THAC0 and damage against all Evil and even more bonus against undead, quite apart from its Sunray spell (which admittedly doesn't demand proficiency).

Blackrazor (if playing Evil) does a level drain on the enemy, and health and haste bonus on the wielder.

Angurvadal offers both bonus STR and elemental fire.

The Equalizer has THAC0 and damage bonuses against various alignments, plus bonus charm and confusion immunities which are often relevant in mid-combat. Likewise Adjatha has bonus charm and domination immunities, and Blackrazor has bonus charm and fear immunities, which again are often useful mid-combat. In the case of the Assassin, such immunities can be a life-saver when enemies are still standing after a backstab attempt!

All of the above are Long Sword bonuses which apply when you're actually using the weapon, and therefore benefit greatly from proficiency. Other weapon types don't have so many weapons offering such a range of bonuses to the wielder. Additionally, we're talking about an Elf character, so there's a racial bonus too.

I don't think longsword proficiency will offer an Assassin anything extra compared to other melee proficiencies already planned, such as Staves, Short Swords, and maybe Clubs and Scimitars.

Certainly there are some handy bonus effects in those other classes, but added together they offer only about the same number of relevant bonuses as Long Swords do alone.

So yes, Long Swords offer an Assassin extra, and he should therefore take it early.

The same can be said of Katanas. There's one good (not great) Katana in SoA, which is best used by a character with multiple APR (Valygar), another nice one for Fighter/Mages, and a nifty one in ToB (late SoA) which is best used for its protections, e.g. quickly equip it when a Finger of Death is cast at you, rather than for fighting/backstabbing.

Indeed there are a few good Katanas, but yes they're often better used by other classes.

However, it's perfectly possible to swap a weapon to an Assassin for a backstab and then give it back to the warrior using it in the follow-up melee. In particular, Celestial Fury's stun is particularly useful if a backstab fails to kill the enemy immediately. A proficiency for doing this isn't an Assassin's top priority, but it's worth being capable of doing it.

So forgoing only SWS, Longswords and Katanas, or even just two out of those three would already allow @Aerakar to dual-wield with two (or three) pips in TWF instead, and a speed weapon in the off-hand.

Doing that would nerf his Assassin because he'd preclude himself from all sorts of powerful bonus effects, for which all three of those proficiencies are important to an Assassin. In addition, however, you're advocating that sacrifice in order to obtain something which is pretty irrelevant. An Assassin is not a melee character, that's what the party's warriors are for, and therefore any time when he might be able to use dual-wielding (i.e. toe-to-toe melee) is a time when he ought instead to be retreating to range (or occasionally preparing a backstab).

You're still thinking solo, I'm afraid. The only time when dual-wielding is worth anything at all to an Assassin is when you've got no choice but to do your own melee, as when soloing. In a party run with a couple of proper warriors, any points in dual-wielding are a complete waste of valuable proficiencies for the Assassin.

Having said that, if your Assassin remained relevant in combat throughout the saga relying on ranged weapons and backstabs alone ...

Oh yes, absolutely! Not even very many backstabs (that x7 multiplier is a comparatively minor bonus), it's the ranged poison which is the real power of the Assassin kit. It was quite eye-opening, I hadn't realised how much difference it makes until I tried it. Dominated the game in the earlier stages, fell back somewhat in the later stages but still making a strong contribution right to the end.

... and never really missed two weapon melee proficiency then I'm the last to argue against your argument against dual-wielding.

No, certainly din't miss it, very rarely in a situation where it'd have been relevant.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Here are the stats of the two bucklers @Blackraven considered.

"Rogue's Ward

This buckler is made from a darksteel alloy which was tinged with trace amounts of mithril and silver. Although its surface appears to be extremely polished, the shield somehow seems to draw in the light, rather than reflecting it. Upon closer examination, several enchantments which are commonly attributed to Mask's priesthood can be detected. It is likely that the Shadowlord himself blessed this item with his touch, granting it the power to hide and guard his followers from any dangers which they may encounter in their risky professions.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:
    +2 bonus to all saves vs. death
    +10% to Hide in Shadows

Special Abilities:
    Casts Improved Invisibility 1x/day

Armor Class Bonus: 3
    Special: No Missile/Piercing Attack Protection
    Weight: 1
    Requires: 4 Strength
    Only Usable By:
    Thief
    Bard

Safeguard

These consecrated bucklers are often wielded by high clerics and temple guards of Moradin, the creator god of the dwarven race. The Soul Forger is strength and force of will embodied and his weapons, armor, and tools are virtual extensions of his own incarnate being. The enchantments within this shield bestow Moradin's blessing upon its wielder, guiding his weapon to strike surely and guarding him from harm in times of dire need. Many of these bucklers were lost in the battle of Dorn's Deep after the invading orcs razed and pillaged the mighty dwarven stronghold.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities:
    Bless

Special Abilities:
    Casts Sanctuary 1x/day

Armor Class Bonus: 3
    Special: No Missile/Piercing Attack Protection
    Weight: 2
    Requires: 4 Strength
    Unusable By:
    Mage

They are awesome, I would prefer to use one instead of using SWS if only for the AC bonus.

And I'm going to agree with him about dualwielding, I think it's important for an Assassin because, as you said it yourself @Gallowglass , what's important for an Assassin is Poison Weapon, and thus APR.
    You will be able to use at least Scarlet Ninja-To because no one will use it except a Thief with UAI, but you could also use Belm or Kundane.

Early on it's going to be great already, but it can be even stronger later in the game.

With the gauntlets and two speed weapons + Improved Haste + Time Traps + Poison Weapon, you will unleash an 9 APR dualwielding Assassin with poisoned attacks during a 70 seconds Time Stop.

I would skip Staves, THS and Crossbows (they have too low APR for an Assassin in my opinion) instead.

But I would also pick Short Swords early in BG1 because with Rogue Rebalancing you can use the revised Short Sword of Backstabbing (and this is going to be THE weapon for backstabbing).

Revised (PnP) Short Sword of Backstabbing

In PnP AD&D this sword is supposed to have some extra features when wielded by a Thief. Here's a passage from the The Complete Thief's Handbook:

"Short sword of Backstabbing: In the hands of any character this is a +2 magical weapon, but in the hands of a thief it is especially potent. When a thief makes a backstab attempt with this short sword, it allows him to attack as if four levels higher than his actual experience level, with corresponding improvements in THAC0, attack rolls, and damage multiplier on a successful hit."

Based on that, the Baldur's Gate 2 version of the item was altered in the following manner:

The Shadow's Blade was created to be the perfect assassin's tool. It is highly sought after by any who settle differences with a blade, and many that possess it do not do so for long. In the hands of any character this sword acts as a standard +3 magical weapon, but in the hands of a Thief it becomes especially potent granting him an additional bonus to hit and increasing his backstab multiplier.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Abilities (Thieves only):
    Increases backstab multiplier by 1
    Provides an additional +2 THAC0 bonus

THAC0: +3 bonus
    Damage: 1D6 +3
    Damage type piercing
    Weight: 3
    Speed Factor: 0
    Proficiency Type: Short Sword
    Type: 1-handed
    Requires: 5 Strength
    Not Usable By:
    Druid
    Cleric
    Mage

It can be upgraded to a +5 version in ToB.
    Thanks @Gallowglass, @Blackraven, and @Gotural for the outstanding discussion. When I started this thread this and the comments prior from others is what I was looking for. It is like a master class in Assassin builds and another reason I love these forums!

As @Gallowglass originally stated, I tend to agree that without the RR mod and 2-3 pips of rogue TWF, dual-wield does not make any sense for an assassin. With RR though, dual-wield seems a valid tactic whether solo or in a party, esp. at mid or higher levels with speed weapons and a high strength character to improve THACO. 3 or even 4 APR and poison use would mean 3-4 poisons per round not counting the poisons from any weaponry in use. If high strength then THACO could rival ranged THACO for an Assassin. There is a +4 short sword with poison also obtainable in late SOA from the RR mod after a very difficult added (but avoidable) encounter that coupled with the scarlet ninja-to after UAI can mean 3 poisons per round when dual-wielding, and 6 if poison weapon is activated, so this is in some ways superior to darts of wounding as both damage and THACO is better; it also at least equals and may surpass the Crimson Dart or Tuigan for the same reasons.

Of course one benefit of ranged is that it is ranged, and not melee, and you are not left hanging in the wind after your back-stab and forced to fight face-to-face with the crappy thief THACO. And hit and fade for another backstab is often a better tactic in many situations. And of course the various darts and arrows have their own great effects, i.e. status-effects, elemental damage, poison, etc. But pulling a back-stab and then using two blades and poison to continue the fight or finish off a weakened mage would still seem quite useful in a lot situations for high-strength builds, e.g. 1/2-orcs, elves, anyone using giant belts.

In regards to SWS, I myself have found this useful in past playthroughs and it definitely helps until TWF can be gained at higher levels if using the RR mod. It would seem worthwhile to me to take this at early levels as one can use it throughout the saga, e.g. TWF may not be a viable tactic until level 16 unless one foregoes or postpones something, which is through all of BG1 and the first part of BG2. I think it comes down to whether or not an assassin will focus on blades or staves as his/her primary weapon. If staves, then better to skip SWS and go for THS immediately as @Blackraven suggested. If a thief prefers to focus on blades then perhaps better to take SWS for max benefit at those low levels and take quarterstaff later for BG2 when resistant enemies multiply.

I myself used to hate quarterstaffs on my thieves and considered it an aberration of the rules from my AD&D P&P days in the 80's, but have somewhat come around to them for non-shorty thieves, if for no other reason than mechanically they are excellent due to the damage type (crushing), the reach (kiting, attacking over your warriors), and last but not least the staffs available throughout the saga (BG: QS+3, Staff of striking, BG2: +4 staff, again multiple staves of striking, staff of the ram, etc.). But I still prefer blades for aesthetic and role-play reasons on all of my thieves and use staffs in a supporting situational role, e.g. against enemies with resistances or for situational high damage backstabs, i.e. staff of striking.

edited January 2016
    @Blackraven, also I am using a small party: Elf Assassin, Viconia, Kagain, Imoen (dual to mage) in BG 1; planning to add Yoshimo in BG2 replacing Imoen with Jan and Kagain with Korgan. For ranged, none of these will use darts, so it would make sense for me to use short bows AND darts (above you mentioned a large party as a reason to skip darts). I also like short swords (with BG Tweaks ninja-tos also) and staves.

If I skip weapon styles I can get all 4 weapons in the first game: short swords, short bows, quarterstaff, darts, then expand with weapon styles in BG2. This would seem to give the widest number of tactical options, e.g. poison arrows, poison darts, staff of striking, RR short sword of backstabbing +3. I could then go for THS and either SWS or dual-wield in BG2. The one thing that annoys me with dual-wield is the inventory switching and this will be even worse for an assassin using darts/bows.
    Aerakar said:

@Blackraven, also I am using a small party: Elf Assassin, Viconia, Kagain, Imoen (dual to mage) in BG 1; planning to add Yoshimo in BG2 replacing Imoen with Jan and Kagain with Korgan. For ranged, none of these will use darts, so it would make sense for me to use short bows AND darts (above you mentioned a large party as a reason to skip darts). I also like short swords (with BG Tweaks ninja-tos also) and staves.

If I skip weapon styles I can get all 4 weapons in the first game: short swords, short bows, quarterstaff, darts, then expand with weapon styles in BG2. This would seem to give the widest number of tactical options, e.g. poison arrows, poison darts, staff of striking, RR short sword of backstabbing +3. I could then go for THS and either SWS or dual-wield in BG2. The one thing that annoys me with dual-wield is the inventory switching and this will be even worse for an assassin using darts/bows.

- IMO a four man party isn't that small. With short bows for Imoen, slings for Viconia, and Dex Gauntlets + crossbows for Kagain, and darts for Charname you'd already have all ranged options covered. Nevertheless, I agree that it could make sense to start out with darts (with RR there's a good, but not OP returning one for sale in Ulgoth's Beard as you might know), and pick shortbows later on, since you'll be using those in BG2 anyway.
    - I've also grown fond of BG2Tweaks's weapon class revision; its placement of ninja-tos into the short swords category makes the short sword route all the more appealing.
    - Like you, I originally disliked staves on thieves (except cleric/thieves), but I like your approach of using them situationally. A thief, possessing neither magic nor muscle to decide a battle in their favor, needs to be pragmatic :)
    - If you're like me, you'll get used to inventory switching, as I've currently become used to having to access the thieving button from behind the innate abilities button.
    - Have fun!
    Wrapping up Cloakwood Mines now on this run. I am trying out more than usual the +3 quarterstaff in general melee (supporting Kagain) and to backstab and I am chunking victims left and right. I will switch back to short sword once I find the +3 short sword of backstabbing though.