Skip to content

Stealth cooldown in EE

MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
Hello,

I feel stupid asking this, like I missed some huge announcement ~2 years ago, but - is the "cooldown" on Hide in Shadows after leaving shadows intended in the Enhanced Editions of Baldur's Gate games?

What I mean in detail:
While being hidden, ordering any action (attacking, quick-switching weapons, talking, etc.) will result in the "leaving shadows" message, and that triggers the "cooldown" on your Hide in Shadows - the icon is grayed out for the rough duration of a round.

In the originals, you only got that cooldown/grayed out icon after your Hide in Shadows failed, not when you left the shadows on your own (through a backstab or looting a chest, for example).

I tried to look the issue up, but the only thing I found were patch notes mentioning a cooldown for the Shadowdancer kit, supposedly activating after a backstab. The issue I'm describing however, happens to all Thief kits, multi and dual classes. I see no difference between a Shadowdancer and the others.

I've just noticed the whole thing recently, after creating a backstab-oriented character in the EEs, for some "backstab -> run out -> backstab -> run out" good times, but it seems like that tactic has been "enhanced" out of the game.
Post edited by Mivsan on

Comments

• FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    edited January 2016
    Stealth has always worked in the way you think the EE's stealth works. LOL DISREGARD THIS

I know you can go into the inventory and manually switch weapons without leaving stealth. Haste will also reduce the 6 second cooldown on stealth into 3 seconds instead.
    Post edited by Flashburn on
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Basically when they did what they did to the shadowdancer, it is cross the board I guess.
    BUT it doesn't apply to your enemies D: (that leader of Vagrant Blades has no CD, she cheated X_X).
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    edited January 2016
    Flashburn said:

Stealth has always worked in the way you think the EE's stealth works.

I still play the original games, have them installed, and before opening this thread, I checked to be sure, if I wasn't imagining things :+). A quick and easy way to do it is to simply create a new character in ToB - max out stealth and do tests on Illasera.

There are also videos on Youtube, showing how people abuse that kind of stuff. For example, BG1 and BG2 solo playthrough by Chris67132. He relies heavily on using backstabs in the way I described in my opening post. Beware of lots, and I mean lots of cheese, if you decide to watch those playthroughs.
    Bubbles said:

Basically when they did what they did to the shadowdancer, it is cross the board I guess.
    BUT it doesn't apply to your enemies D: (that leader of Vagrant Blades has no CD, she cheated X_X).

That's what I was afraid of. In order to balance/nerf their new class I have no interest in, they just changed the entire mechanic for every other Thief as well :+/.

Oh well, it's not a big deal either way, just feels weird having that cooldown all of a sudden.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    @Mivsan
    Well then, I stand corrected. Had to dig out my copy of ToB and messed around for a couple minutes and you're right. It must have been "enhanced out" of the game as you say.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    What @bengoshi says is true. Any action that ends stealth not immediately but (normally) gradually, like clicking the Find Traps button or your weapon, lets you start the timer for re-entering stealth before you actually backstab. It's your best bet to get the most out of stealth and backstabs in EE.

Note however that there are two issues with this solution. First of all the gradual way of leaving stealth doesn't always work. I've had characters of mine become visible rather shortly or even immediately after leaving stealth, before they could actually land their backstab. (I'm not sure to what extent stealth scores are of influence here, and I also don't know if there's a difference between clicking the Find Traps button and clicking on one of your weapons. I do advise against clicking the stealth button to leave stealth because it will make your character visible for a split second, fatal when facing enemies like Beholders.)
    Secondly, the time it takes for the stealth button to become clickable again, and thus for stealth to become possible again, is circa 7 seconds. This is quite long, and will sometimes allow enemies to catch up with your character when the character moves around a corner but cannot re-enter stealth yet.

As a fervent player of all kinds of Thieves I wasn't very happy with this change, but I've grown more or less used to it. You'll have to be more careful with your backstabber and take precautions like keeping invisibility potions or items at hand, using summons as decoys etc.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Blackraven: One possible explanation why you've seen thieves turn visible faster than normal is haste. Haste increases the rate at which the timer resets.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    I remember back in 2013 or 2014 when the mechanic was modified and everyone was complaining on the forum about the Shadowdancer 'nerf' and that the kit was now completly useless while it was, in fact, never nerfed. It doesn't change anything when you are used to it and I'm pretty sure everyone who played a Shadowdancer for a few chapters rapidly understood how to backstabs indefinitely.

@Blackraven Concerning your issue with Thieves appearing faster than usual from the shadows, I think I played so much Shadowdancers I finally found out the problem and how it works.

-When you enter stealth, your character becomes Invisible for about 4 rounds (16 seconds in my BG2:EE at 40 FPS)

-This Invisibility buff is refreshed every 4 rounds, every 16 seconds in my game I see a 'Hide in Shadows Succeeded' in the combat log

-The cooldown for hiding again is about 1 round (5 seconds with 40 FPS)

-Clicking the stealth button while stealthed will shut down the Invisibility instantly, even if the game is paused.

-But the cooldown for HiS/HiPS and the actual duration of stealth (the Invisibility) are desynchronized!

Which means that:

-If I click HiS then instantly cancel it by clicking on a weapon, a thieving skill or on the spellcasting menu (anything work actually) then 5 seconds later, HiS will become available again and 11 seconds later for a total of 16 seconds later, my character will become visible again. As expected.

-But if I click HiS, wait for 15 seconds then cancel my stealth, I will become visible only a second after! Because the 'Invisibility buff' provided by stealth was actually running out and was going to be refreshed one second after if I stayed stealthed, so in that case I will become visible nearly instantly while I still need to wait 5 seconds for stealth to become available again.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    edited January 2016
    This is not 100% accurate as in one of my testings, I canceled stealth after 12 seconds, expecting my character to become visible before the cooldown was available but he didn't and stayed stealth for 16 more seconds (total of 28).

But what is 100% accurate and can be used reliably for no-reload runs is hiding then immediately canceling stealth. That way you will always become visible in about 4 rounds while the cooldown for hiding will be available in only a round.

Something I do when I play my Shadowdancers nowadays is that I frequently re-enter stealth while I'm already stealthed, only to force the 'Invisibility buff' to be refreshed. This way you can be 100% sure you won't randomly drop out of stealth (but you need 100 in HiS/MS to avoid failure).
  • MivsanMivsan Member Posts: 139
    A lot of cool info has been provided!

Initially, I thought I'd just alternate between stealth and invisibility (while stealth cooldown recharges) to chain some backstabs like: start out in stealth -> backstab #1 -> potion of invis -> backstab #2 -> run out and restealth (it should be ready by now) -> backstab #3 -> another potion or something else, if needed.

However, I see there's a lot of testing I need to do, taking the info provided by you guys, especially Gotural, in regards to how the stealth buff works and how haste affects it all. Thanks!