Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 2 Canon Party?

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
Been thinking. Upon beating the game a variety of different character combinations could be canon. Based on your personal play experience which character party is canon? (Gorion's Ward, Imoen/Yoshimo, Jaheira, Khalid, Aerie, and Keldorn would be my guess.)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    Noloir said:

Been thinking. Upon beating the game a variety of different character combinations could be canon. Based on your personal play experience which character party is canon? (Gorion's Ward, Imoen/Yoshimo, Jaheira, Khalid, Aerie, and Keldorn would be my guess.)

Confirmed: @Noloir is a necromancer.

I read somewhere on this forum that a canon party for BG2 should be CHARNAME, Imoen/Yoshimo, Jaheira, Minsc, Aerie and Keldorn changed for Sarevok in ToB. Another idea is that only CHARNAME, Imoen/Yoshimo, Jaheira, Minsc are a part of a canon party for BG2, others differ.

I think that it is very much tied with particular NPCs you had in BG2 when you first played BG2.

For example, it's very easy to meet Aerie when you play for the first time, as is to meet Anomen - I mean, they're on the first 2 areas after the dungeon. So you can very much end with imagining that they're both canon.

But what about a situation if you weren't a goody two shoes? Then you possibly included Edwin and Viconia, as they come from BG1 and are evil, and Korgan. What if you didn't like the canon BG1 party?

These questions actually influence everything.

For me, a canon BG2 party was CHARNAME, Yoshimo, Jaheira, Anomen, Jan Jansen and Korgan. As you see, I didn't prefer neither good, nor evil way, something in between.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    What do 'the books' say? My, very limited, understanding of the canon party for BG1 is that according to the Forgotten Realms books (which I've never read) it is Charname, Imoen, Jahiera, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir.
    From those, in BG2 you're left with Charname, Imoen, Jahiera and Minsc, so shouldn't the remaining slots be filled with characters already mentioned in the books - or maybe it's not 'canon' that the party must contain six members?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    edited February 2016
    dunbar said:

What do 'the books' say?

You really don't want to know. According the books, canon is Abdel Muscleman and every female he ever met. Married, related, good, evil, living, undead, or otherwise. No hammer in the Realms has nailed more.

• YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486

According the books, canon is Abdel Muscleman and every female he ever met. Married, related, good, evil, living, undead, or otherwise. No hammer in the Realms has nailed more.

I bet Geralt of Rivia has !

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited February 2016
    One time, I had intended to do a run through with the first characters I could recruit. That would be MyChar, Imoen, Minsc, Yoshimo and Jaheira to start with. Once Imoen vanished, I would add Aerie and Nalia for a total of 6. The plan called for Imoen to rejoin after Yoshimo meets his doom. I would temporarily replace one NPC or another if necessary to do someone's Quest.

Unfortunately, I couldn't stand Minsc's idiocy and Aerie's incessant whining. I dumped them both at the start of Ch 3 in favor of Anomen and Keldorn, then finally gave up the project as a bad idea, since I prefer cheerful, bubble brained Neera over the preachy Nalia. I mean, replacing 3 of the 5 early NPCs rather negated the entire concept.
  • GlidderdustGlidderdust Member Posts: 70
    Pretty sure canon charname is neutral good. I have a hard time believing he would make Keldorn stay with the party after Keldorn's quest.

It only makes sense to me if charname is LG or LN.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    edited February 2016
    dunbar said:

What do 'the books' say? My, very limited, understanding of the canon party for BG1 is that according to the Forgotten Realms books (which I've never read) it is Charname, Imoen, Jahiera, Khalid, Minsc and Dynaheir.
    From those, in BG2 you're left with Charname, Imoen, Jahiera and Minsc, so shouldn't the remaining slots be filled with characters already mentioned in the books - or maybe it's not 'canon' that the party must contain six members?

The books were based off the game with major changes to the plot which gratuitously skims meaty details. For example Phere the drow Cleric seductress has a liason with Imoen in the books over a male version of Gorion's ward. The book's an abomination from the reviews it receives on Amazon.

Post edited by Noloir on
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,979
    edited February 2016

dunbar said:

What do 'the books' say?

You really don't want to know. According the books, canon is Abdel Muscleman and every female he ever met. Married, related, good, evil, living, undead, or otherwise. No hammer in the Realms has nailed more.

@Lord_Tansheron
    So are you exaggerating, or does he seriously sleeps with nearly every female? Edit, yay for wiki, I could careless that he slept with bhodi, I don't like what i just read about bhodi.
    @DragonKing Near enough. I particularly "enjoy" his encounter with Jaheira (while Khalid is alive and well, mind you).
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    This is making want to read the books. Might be humorous...
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited February 2016
    There is no way that Minsc isn't a canon party member. Yoshimo, Imoen and Jaheira are also sure things, and I would argue for Sarevok as well.

The remaining two spots are a little more difficult, and you can find arguments for many inclusions. Aerie, being so near to the starting point, always struck me as the "canon" love interest, but obviously that is an opinion others might not share. I kinda want to say either her or Anomen, because I feel like the game wants you to have a cleric of some sort. They are also incredibly accessible early in the game, strengthening their position. For some reason I can't see Nalia there, though she has a strong case being in the Copper Coronet and approaching you without you having to trigger it.

Keldorn also fills the "father figure" void, at least until you complete his quest. The fact that you can let him off with his family then replace him with Sarevok later is also pretty convenient.

I do think it is far more fitting to the overall theme, and the direction of the game, for it to be a good aligned party. That's why I would probably disqualify any evil character other than Sarevok.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164

dunbar said:

What do 'the books' say?

So are you exaggerating, or does he seriously sleeps with nearly every female?
    The ones he doesn't sleep with, Imoen does -_-
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,979
    edited February 2016
    @Lord_Tansheron
    Yea, I know about that... which while I haven't read the book, unless there was revealed to be some massive strain on the two relationship, then they just poorly jaheira's character.

@booinyoureyes
    What, why? Freaking how? Did they like, rewrite her character type completely? What, was she suppose to be Viconia jr?

On, someone verify this for me...

So Khalid, once cheated on jaheria.
    Char name kills Khalid at some point in the series.
    Jaheria is reduced to a damsel in distress in the novels, even ripping her blouse off when a spider gets between her breast.
    She also isn't independent at all in the series.
    Post edited by DragonKing on
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380

@Lord_Tansheron
    Yea, I know about that... which while I haven't read the book, unless there was revealed to be some massive strain on the two relationship, then they just poorly jaheira's character.

@booinyoureyes
    What, why? Speaking how? Did they like, rewrite her character type completely? What, was she suppose to be Viconia jr?

On, someone verify this for me...

So Khalid, once cheated on jaheria.
    Char name kills Khalid at some point in the series.
    Jaheria is reduced to a damsel in distress in the novels, even ripping her blouse off when a spider gets between her breast.
    She also isn't independent at all in the series.

Based on the reviews, spot on! The character in the book didn't resemble her true character at all. Might as well have been a different one all together. If Gorion's ward murdered Khalid the Jaheira we know wouldn't supplicate and suck up to him. She'd seek painfully slow, agonizing retribution!
    It seems an obvious male power fantasy, which goes to show that they had a very clear target audience in mind. It's honestly not that surprising, those tie-in works are usually made for profit and not for quality. Literary fast food of the lowest order.
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    My canon? At this point it features a Chaotic Neutral Elf who mishears how much cash the shadow thieves require and progresses on an epic quest to accumulate two hundred thousand gold, refusing to spend more than a few hundred as time goes on so he can rescue Imoen sooner, constantly engaging in feats of trickery, cunning and guile to accomplish his goals.

The only people he doesn't travel with over his month long, disastrous quest to make bail are Keldorn - Killed in the sewers in part of an ongoing feud with Paladins (and because it's so hard for even a moderately impolite character to not have to murder the aged cuckold), Haer'Dalis - Who he technically owns, but has no idea what to do with a bard so he leaves him to stay in the Five Flagons for the rest of time (Because Bards are terrible), Wilson, who he frees but never meets again (because why would you speak to a random bear?), and Jan - Who he has a long, scintillating conversation with, but for the good of the realms the two never actually join forces (because five mages is slightly too many for one party).
    Naturally Dings is also a canon party member.

Ultimately only two people even survive all the way through to the end of Throne of Bhaal - Imoen and Rasaad, leaving him to choose between a destiny beyond the planes or a life where he has been forsaken by the world, his only companions two short lived creatures who won't even survive long enough for him to become an adult.

My Bhaalspawns be dark, yo.