Skip to content

Are you a Mac or PC user?

13»

Comments

• EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    I'm a Mac guy who runs XP in Bootcamp for gaming. I also plan to play on my iPad. Vista pushed me over the edge. I won't go back to PC's, though as long as XP copies exist, I'll have a partitioned laptop running it.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited September 2012
    There was once many different computers... Commodores... Ataris... Spectrums... Amstrads... Dragon ZX80s... The PC was supposed to bring all that junk hardware out there into one! Developers could make stuff for one platform... What with the Mac... Actually now... I miss those days! Bring em back! Anyone else miss using a tape deck to boot up the works? Sorry for rambling... getting old.

EDIT: Microsoft Works for the uninitiated... Or was it Lotus notemaker... Can't remember... No I booted Lotus on a huge floppy wider than my laptop...

EDIT: EDIT: The floppy has no sexual conotations... It was what you called these huge black squares of plastic that held 16k worth of data...
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    @Anduin

I liked it how they were referred to as 3 and a half inch floppies.

he he
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    @Jaxsbudgie I remember my Dad getting berrated by my Mother (Who didn't know her Archimedes from her BBC Micro) for bringing me into contact with floppies, hard drives and Joysticks. She didn't see it as healthy... Now we still happily play with dongles... Only a matter of time before some one invents the dangle...
  • CentoparCentopar Member Posts: 17
    My primary machine is a MacBook Pro (that's the machine that I'm pretty much umbilically attached to). I also have a Windows box which I use pretty much exclusively for gaming; at the moment I'm playing BG2 on it in preparation for the release of the EE.

I've been so pleased that more games are becoming available for the Mac. I love this machine; the display's beautiful, and the OS is great (I don't want to come over all fangirl, but I've always found MacOS much more intuitive and useable than Windows); I also use it as a Unix box, which gives me far more flexibility than the Windows desktop machine does. And my back and arms much prefer a solidly built laptop on a low and comfortable chair to any desk setup I've ever been able to come up with.

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    Quartz said:

I guess it's a good thing you're an engineer and not a psychologist.

Ha! My mother told me something similar...
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Alejandro said:

... And I´m a PC.

Is it weird that in those Mac commercials I've always liked the PC guy better? I mean, he looks like a geek in a suit, while Mac just looks like a guy trying too hard to be cool.
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    @Six thanks for the info. It's a long term project (money is tight, probably going to buy it piece by piece) but I appreciate the offer. I might ask to pick your brain later on!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Adul said:

Alejandro said:

... And I´m a PC.

Is it weird that in those Mac commercials I've always liked the PC guy better? I mean, he looks like a geek in a suit, while Mac just looks like a guy trying too hard to be cool.
    Right? Ugh! Those were so dumb. It was like, "hey look, I'm so hip ... and a tool." And PC was just your regular clumsy, geeky, socially-awkward but generally a nice, good-intentioned person.

I look back at those and hope they are poking fun at themselves. But somehow I doubt it. Apple takes itself way, way too seriously.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    It's true. Just from a human standpoint the PC guy was actually more humble, relatable, and unpretentious whereas the Mac guy came off as smug and condescending.
    edited September 2012
    Wait, are you guys talking about the adverts with David Mitchell and Robert Webb of Peep Show fame?

• BenNBenN Member Posts: 27
    Mac user at home, though I also have a Win7 partition (that doesn't get used much). XP at work.

I'm a tinkerer (modded a G4 Cube in the past, fixed & upgraded various iMacs, Mac laptops & towers), but tinkering for the sake of it doesn't hold the same appeal that it once did. Personal preference, but I'd rather spend what limited spare time I have for something else.

Its true that Macs only get an extremely small fraction of games compared to Windows; which makes me glad that we do get quality games like BG, DAO etc.

All the Mac vs. PC shit-flinging is pretty tiresome.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318

Wait, are you guys talking about the adverts with David Mitchell and Robert Webb of Peep Show fame?

I thought they were talking about these TV ads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCyqSROGf0

message = Mac is hipper, therefore you are hipper if you own one, etc.
  • pablo200783pablo200783 Member Posts: 96
    People creating graphics use mac usually, most of people use pc or laptop.
  • CheOffshoreCheOffshore Member Posts: 27
    Sceptenar said:

There is no Mac on the market that has a dedicated CAD graphics card, only PC's have that. And the software doesn't exist for OSX anyway, likely because Mac's tend to lag behind PC's in performance, and large CAD projects can be quite intensive. Without a computer that can handle this, I can kiss my career in engineering goodbye. Is that a more valid reason, sir?

CAD and GIS (geographic information systems) don't work on mac ;) so i'll join you in the "use mac and get fired for incompetence" camp XD
    @Lemernis

Ahhh they must have had UK equivalents

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNY7zYMmDpA
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    BenN said:

Mac user at home, though I also have a Win7 partition (that doesn't get used much). XP at work.

I'm a tinkerer (modded a G4 Cube in the past, fixed & upgraded various iMacs, Mac laptops & towers), but tinkering for the sake of it doesn't hold the same appeal that it once did. Personal preference, but I'd rather spend what limited spare time I have for something else.

Its true that Macs only get an extremely small fraction of games compared to Windows; which makes me glad that we do get quality games like BG, DAO etc.

All the Mac vs. PC shit-flinging is pretty tiresome.

Awesome post. + ... Lmao, you modded a G4 Cube? Those things are so uncommon. In what way did you mod it out of curiosity?