Skip to content

The new official portraits from The Familiar Magazine

You may have read around here that the first issue of Beamdog's digital magazine brings us two new official portraits by artist Thea Kent.

They're gorgeous and... they have to be converted to BMP because when you download them from the app they're PNG image files.

So I did that for you. Enjoy. The BMP portraits are attached to this post.

P.S.: hope I'm not breaking any rules. I assume it's okay to share them here since they're free and everything.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Owltastic! I'm hooting for more of the same feather.

*hoot* *hoot*
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Hey, New Dynaheir! :kissing_smiling_eyes:
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Wow, that first one is incredible! It looks exactly like a true Baldur's Gate 1 portrait.

The second one doesn't look like it belongs, though - more like a something you'd see in the portrait threads here.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The second one is awesome, just elvenised... Plus can't decide if a druid, mage, or cleric... possibly use for all three.

The first is a human and is thus a waste of hard disk space to me... But I do like that james bond eyebrow... She is one savvy human...
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @bengoshi That's because the BG portraits are basically busts.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bust_(sculpture)

"A bust is a sculpted or cast representation of the upper part of the human figure, depicting a person's head and neck, as well as a variable portion of the chest and shoulders."

It's something I noticed and when I see portraits that don't fit those variables, they seem off.
    The colors also contribute to that authentic feel.
  • ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 48
    I like the color palette and artistry of the new portraits, but why are they all looking sideways? I never liked the original Faldorn portrait very much ... she has three canine teeth on each side of her mouth.
  • WinterisleWinterisle Member Posts: 111
    The first one is a human ranger and the second an elven mage/sorcerer/druid/something like that.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    The colors look authentic but they still seem a little off to me. The owl in the second one seems out of character, and moving the guys face to the side of the screen is... Weird. They're also zoomed out to much as bengoshi pointed out.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm all for more familiar portraits in The Familiar Magazine! :smiley:
    Like giant space Tardigrades. Always had a weakness for those adorable moss piglets.
    Or a Spirit Snake for our Totemic Druids forumites. Best of all of course would be a pet slime for the Oozemasters amongst us. *wink* *wink*
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

We couldn't fit an animal companion into the ranger's portrait so we used the wolf's-head amulet instead.)

Didn't think about it like a ranger's portrait. Although I saw a bow there, I still thought about a mage. Maybe it's a hood, maybe it's a bit Dynaheir-esque look.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    bengoshi said:

We couldn't fit an animal companion into the ranger's portrait so we used the wolf's-head amulet instead.)

Didn't think about it like a ranger's portrait. Although I saw a bow there, I still thought about a mage. Maybe it's a hood, maybe it's a bit Dynaheir-esque look.
    I thought m/t. Maybe a 20 years older, tanned Imoen. That expression reminds me of her bg1 portrait.