Skip to content

Ideal IWDEE Party and why?

2»

Comments

• NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Curious, has anyone managed to complete a run with a pure vanilla party?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Noloir said:

Yeah, I did that before the EEs came out...
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Noloir said:

Vanilla, single class only, no EE classes, insane difficulty, no additional xp, no additional damage, no adjusting stats when you roll them, no reload.

Go!

Actually I find that fun and challenging enough even when allowing most kits ...
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    I'm just doing my playthrough on insane with party like this:

Berserker Human
    Swashbuckler Human
    Kensai Human
    Assasin Human
    Ilusionist/Thief gnome

I want' to finish game with this team and then export and start again with HoF mode. The final team should look like this.

Berserker(29)/Priest(30) Human
    Swashbuckler(29)/Fighter(30) Human
    Kensai(29)/Mage(30) Human
    Assasin(29)/Fighter(30) Human
    Ilusionist(30)/Thief(30) gnome
    Skald(30) Elf - add him in second playthrough starting level 1, but he will level up fast on Insane HoF.

It's really hard now in Dragon's eye. Kensai have only 2 AC, with this x2 multipler for insane it is very hard to keep her alive. I/T is my only caster, and thief for open locks and disarm traps. Swash is for setting traps. Assasin for backstab. Berserker is my tank. No priest is pain in ass. I suposse it will be even harder when I will dualing. But the final result will be awsome and extremly OP.
    Sikorsky said:

I'm just doing my playthrough on insane with party like this:

Berserker Human
    Swashbuckler Human
    Kensai Human
    Assasin Human
    Ilusionist/Thief gnome

I want' to finish game with this team and then export and start again with HoF mode. The final team should look like this.

Berserker(29)/Priest(30) Human
    Swashbuckler(29)/Fighter(30) Human
    Kensai(29)/Mage(30) Human
    Assasin(29)/Fighter(30) Human
    Ilusionist(30)/Thief(30) gnome
    Skald(30) Elf - add him in second playthrough starting level 1, but he will level up fast on Insane HoF.

It's really hard now in Dragon's eye. Kensai have only 2 AC, with this x2 multipler for insane it is very hard to keep her alive. I/T is my only caster, and thief for open locks and disarm traps. Swash is for setting traps. Assasin for backstab. Berserker is my tank. No priest is pain in ass. I suposse it will be even harder when I will dualing. But the final result will be awsome and extremly OP.

Why 3 thieves? I can't recommend enough just starting HoF from level 1 with an appropriately awesome party and doing the insane play through with a party better suited to it.

Something like:
    HoF level 1:
    Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief longbow, Longsword
    Gnome Illusionist/Cleric
    Skald
    Kensei 9 -> Druid scimitars, clubs
    Kensei 9 -> Mage axe, bastard sword
    Berserker 7 -> Cleric flail, mace

Insane play through (disable bonus xp for difficulty):
    Paladin (any kit except inquisitor)
    Druid (any)
    Bard (vanilla)
    Thief (multi or kit)
    Cleric (multi or kit)
    Barbarian
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    pedrorq said:

Question about the Skald: am I understanding correctly that its role is simply staying on the back row singing his song? And the occasional identify/knock for those so inclined?

Gnomes can't be Skalds.... so no Skalds.
    Wowo said:

Why 3 thieves? I can't recommend enough just starting HoF from level 1 with an appropriately awesome party and doing the insane play through with a party better suited to it.

Swashbuckler is not a thief in that party, he is a Fighter with ability to set traps and detect illusion, and final when he became 29/30 dualed to fighter, he will be a Tank and Heavy Damage Dealer in one person with two handed sword and heavy platemail.

Assasin is for backstabs and melee combat. Maxed out HiS and MS.

It's a party for Powergaming. Just Imagine a fighter with two handed sword + benefits of swashbuckler -6AC, +5 to damage and hit.
  • pedrorqpedrorq Member Posts: 54
    Sikorsky said:

It's a party for Powergaming. Just Imagine a fighter with two handed sword + benefits of swashbuckler -6AC, +5 to damage and hit.

...with the downtime of 30 fighter levels. ;)
    But still :wink:
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    I'd go with the following party:

1. Wizard Slayer;
    2. Beast Master;
    3. Shapeshifter;
    4. Jester;
    5. Red Dragon Disciple;
    6. Avenger.
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    @Philhelm - you forgot why! And no cleric!
    Philhelm said:

1. Wizard Slayer;
    2. Beast Master;
    3. Shapeshifter;
    4. Jester;
    5. Red Dragon Disciple;
    6. Avenger.

Looks like an attempt to make the worst party but it would be awesome anyway with the right strategies.

Would be nice to fit a cleric and a thief in there though.
    Sikorsky said:

Wowo said:

Swashbuckler is not a thief in that party, he is a Fighter with ability to set traps and detect illusion, and final when he became 29/30 dualed to fighter, he will be a Tank and Heavy Damage Dealer in one person with two handed sword and heavy platemail.

Assasin is for backstabs and melee combat. Maxed out HiS and MS.

For that kind of power a triple class is going to be more powerful.

Or my current favourite build: Priest of Lathander 21 -> Mage. May be the strongest build yet.
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 82
    Philhelm said:

1. Wizard Slayer;
    2. Beast Master;
    3. Shapeshifter;
    4. Jester;
    5. Red Dragon Disciple;
    6. Avenger.

Interesting party setup. My 2 cents:
    1. I would replace WS with DD/Pally/Berseker.
    2. Beast Master for scouting and ranged attacks is a solid choice.
    3. You already have an avenger in your party, but you are missing a thief and a cleric, so maybe a cleric/thief multi would be a better choice.
    4. I love Jesters. An underated kit. And at high levels, Jester is great for crowd control.
    5. No comment here. In IWD I prefer mages, but that is a matter of personal opinion.
    6. Great druid kit.
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited March 2016
    • Wizard Slayer, Jester, and Avenger are among the least popular kits. They may have a small but dedicated fanbase, but generally they're not considered that good of a choice.
    • The party is missing a thief, which will make things really difficult for a first-time player.
    • The party is missing a cleric.
    • Choosing a Sorcerer over a Wizard is not really a good idea for a first-time player, unless they follow a walkthrough/guide telling them exactly what spells to pick.
    All of this taken together, I wonder if @Philhelm posted this party as a joke, or maybe meant to post it in the Finding Uses For "Non-Optimal" Kits thread instead of this thread of a first-time player asking for a strong party.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    ineth said:

All of this taken together, I wonder if @Philhelm posted this party as a joke

It's obviously a joke.

I've tried many different setups, but I've found that something similar to this usually works well, low maintenance, well-rounded, balanced, low rest need:

F/D or zerker/kensai-> druid
    F/C or zerker -> cleric
    F/M or fighter/zerker/kensai -> mage (vanilla F for bows/xbows)
    F/T or Swashie/assassin->F
    Sorcerer
    Skald

I prefer multiclasses for ease of use, 'cept for the thief since all I need for a thief is locks and traps. You could replace the FM with a FMT or MT, or replace the F/C and F/T with a halforc T/C to open a slot for an Archer. The Archer + skald combo is almost too god. You could even replace the sorcerer with a vanilla bard to get another song stacked to the skald's. Two bards and a FM/FMT have enough arcane to get you through IWD.

There are so many great party setups it's almost difficult to fail at creating a strong one.
    ineth said:

• Wizard Slayer, Jester, and Avenger are among the least popular kits. They may have a small but dedicated fanbase, but generally they're not considered that good of a choice.
    • The party is missing a thief, which will make things really difficult for a first-time player.
    • Choosing a Sorcerer over a Wizard is not really a good idea for a first-time player, unless they follow a walkthrough/guide telling them exactly what spells to pick.
    All of this taken together, I wonder if @Philhelm posted this party as a joke, or maybe meant to post it in the Finding Uses For "Non-Optimal" Kits thread instead of this thread of a first-time player asking for a strong party.
    When it comes to Jester & Avenger, I guess I am a proud member of a small but dedicated fanbase :wink:

• PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34
    edited March 2016
    In HoF level 1 i think i will go with this party
    - human paladin undead hunter with shield, longsword, flail, axe
    - gnome fighter/mage 2 handed weapon staff and axe
    - half orc berzerker dual weapons longsword and flail
    - human bounty hunter 11 dual fighter crossbow
    - half elf fighter/druid sling
    - elf archer longbow

pro :
    With the right weapons, the apr is 22/25
    I have a mage, a thief for setting traps, druid for healling and pets.
    The gnome fighter/mage can wield the best staff of the game (+4)
    The thief can set 6 traps, max traps to be set at a time is 7.

cons :
    poor healing at the beginning, only a druid but multiclass
    poor summons at the beginning, in HoF the summons are a must have
    No backstab, i need the thief for detecting traps and open chests, also setting traps

Post edited by Petrol on
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388

ineth said:

When it comes to Jester & Avenger, I guess I am a proud member of a small but dedicated fanbase :wink:
    I have yet to try Druids in IWD, so maybe my opinion will change, but I really like Avenger. I also really need to give Jester a try, as I'm already a fan of the other two kits.
    @Pteran
    I am big fan of vanilla bard but Jesters in IWD are just great, jester's normal song is good but their high level song is where they really shine, it is an excellent & constant mob controller; and there are lots of mobs in IWD.
    Unlike skald & vanilla bard whose role is to help your party, the jester role is to constantly obstruct the opposition.
    Give it a try :)
  • Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183
    ineth said:

• Wizard Slayer, Jester, and Avenger are among the least popular kits. They may have a small but
    I thought that Avengers were seen as the most powerful Druid kit because of their ability to cast some pretty useful mage spells.

ineth said:

• Wizard Slayer, Jester, and Avenger are among the least popular kits. They may have a small but
    I thought that Avengers were seen as the most powerful Druid kit because of their ability to cast some pretty useful mage spells.
    Definitely very powerful. Only a dual trumps it IMO.