Skip to content

Ideal IWDEE Party and why?

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
Making my first serious full run through of IWDEE and HoWEE. Already have my chars and party well set and developed but I'd like to know what do YOU believe the best party consists of?
lolienGotural

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    I suggest to check the existing threads in this forum section, namely https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41447/whats-your-best-powergaming-party-for-this-game#latest https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/36486/hof-mode-party-setup#latest and https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44751/party-composition#latest

There's a lot to consider here.

If by an ideal you mean powerful, and look at 6-man parties, then I'd go with an Archer, a Sorcerer, a Totemic Druid, a Berzerker, a Skald and an Illusionist/Thief.
    loliensemiticgoddessGotural
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    My current party is composed by an Archer, a Skald, a Bounty Hunter, a Priest of Tempus (use a Shapeshifter), a Berserker and an Undead Hunter.

I'm in a no-rest-in-dungeons run and doing pretty fine. Just cleared Wyrm's Tooth without major problems. In fact, except for Yxunomei and Joril I didn't had any troubles so far. It's been like a strolling in the park (except for all the ice and creatures trying to murder you).
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    edited March 2016
    bengoshi said:

I suggest to check the existing threads in this forum section, namely https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41447/whats-your-best-powergaming-party-for-this-game#latest https://forumincredible og.com/discussion/36486/hof-mode-party-setup#latest and https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44751/party-composition#latest

There's a lot to consider

If by an ideal you mean powerful, and look at 6-man parties, then I'd go with an Archer, a Sorcerer, a Totemic Druid, a Berzerker, a Skald and an Illusionist/Thief.

Interesting! Aside from the Totem and Illusionist/Thief that's more or less what my party coneists of. Dual crossed Berzerker into Druid and used a Priest of Lathander to naturally hold all those pesky undead. Death ward is incredible for crowd control against them. Used a Half-Orc Swashbuckler instead of Illusionist/Thief but didn't realize HLAs don't exist in IWD:EE. Next level or two might mod it and my Skald to gain the use any item abilities and set time trap. Had I known I wouldn't have used it.
    Post edited by Noloir on
    JuliusBorisov
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    edited March 2016
    Raduziel said:

My current party is composed by an Archer, a Skald, a Bounty Hunter, a Priest of Tempus (use a Shapeshifter), a Berserker and an Undead Hunter.

I'm in a no-rest-in-dungeons run and doing pretty fine. Just cleared Wyrm's Tooth without major problems. In fact, except for Yxunomei and Joril I didn't had any troubles so far. It's been like a strolling in the park (except for all the ice and creatures trying to murder you).

Sorc, Priest of Lathander, Archer, Berserker/Druid, Skald, Swashbuckler.

Archer is great isn't it?! Been pretty simple so far. Waiting for Skald and Swashbuckler specific to gain the use any item HLA but coming to the conclusion that they probably don't exist in IWD:EE :X Next lvl up I might mod them in (particularly for SB) and see what happens from there.
    Post edited by Noloir on
  • JigawattsJigawatts Member Posts: 11
    Human Cavalier Paladin
    Dwarf Priest of Tempus
    Half Orc Swashbuckler Thief
    Half Elf Bard
    Elf Sorcerer
    Elf Avenger Druid (or Archer Ranger, depending on personal preferences)
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    I'd might also add a ranger, because rangers have standards: Be polite (shoots arrow), be efficient (shoots arrow) and have a plan to kill every monster you meet(shoots arrow).
    HudzyDragonspear
  • dok0zhivagodok0zhivago Member Posts: 82
    My current party is composed of a Berseker, Ranger/Cleric, Avenger, Fighter/Mage, Fighter/Thief and Jester.
    A bit arcane light party but so far it's a blast. Avenger is my substiute for a mage :smile:
  • chuukoguchuukogu Member Posts: 40
    I completed the entire thing with a kind of powergamey party, but not without some difficulties. Which is ok.

Human paladin - undead hunter: Ok tank, he had a regeneration item.
    Human berserker: A two handed sword guy, a wonderful character!
    Dwarf fighter/cleric: I bet this class works in every game. Could be a half-elf, too...
    Human thief->mage: Trap disarmer, caster, crossbow. The only dual class character.
    Half-elf fighter/mage: Archer, caster, two weapon guy when defense spells permitted. Initially squishy.
    Half-elf fighter/mage/cleric: Jack of 3 trades, master of none, super redundant for this party.

Soooo.... having three arcane casters can be problematic, since not everyone necessarily gets all the good spells. Baldur's Gate this ain't! I think there should be only one dedicated squishy in a party. I'll have to see how my next one does. Just for the sake of variety, I have included a skald, a dark moon monk and an assassin. The rest are "necessary" bread and butter classes.
    dok0zhivago
    edited February 2016
    chuukogu said:

I completed the entire thing with a kind of powergamey party, but not without some difficulties. Which is ok.

Human paladin - undead hunter: Ok tank, he had a regeneration item.
    Human berserker: A two handed sword guy, a wonderful character!
    Dwarf fighter/cleric: I bet this class works in every game. Could be a half-elf, too...
    Human thief->mage: Trap disarmer, caster, crossbow. The only dual class character.
    Half-elf fighter/mage: Archer, caster, two weapon guy when defense spells permitted. Initially squishy.
    Half-elf fighter/mage/cleric: Jack of 3 trades, master of none, super redundant for this party.

Soooo.... having three arcane casters can be problematic, since not everyone necessarily gets all the good spells. Baldur's Gate this ain't! I think there should be only one dedicated squishy in a party. I'll have to see how my next one does. Just for the sake of variety, I have included a skald, a dark moon monk and an assassin. The rest are "necessary" bread and butter classes.

In IWD my usual dilemma is whether to pick a Fighter/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric ;)
    And I agree about squishy characters, any balanced party should have one. Isn't that one of the unwritten rules of party creation? :)
    Post edited by dok0zhivago on
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Ideal HoF party:
    Fighter/Mage/Thief -> archer and Mislead powerhouse, longbow and longswords
    Illusionist/Cleric -> summoner, metamagics, shapechanged juggernaut
    Skald -> buffer, improved haste caster and utility spells
    Kensei 9/Druid -> shapechanged tank, AoE DoTs, scimitars
    Berserker 7/Cleric -> tank, morningstars, maces
    Kensei 9/Mage -> axes, bastard swords

This party has a trick up it's sleeve to trivialise any fight and enough sheer destructive power to steamroll efficiently.

Ideal insane play through (additional xp based on difficulty removed):
    Bard
    Avenger
    Paladin (any except Inquisitor)
    Dwarf Fighter/Cleric
    Gnome Illusionist/Cleric
    Fighter/Thief

The first 3 are the core group to access bonus xp, loot and quests through unique dialogue. I love a Mage/cleric to take advantage of metamagics in IWD. The rest just fill in the blanks while avoiding the game breaking options which while powerful reduce fun IMO (sorcerer, archer, grandmastery).
    JuliusBorisovdok0zhivago
  • pedrorqpedrorq Member Posts: 54

I'm trying something different in my run, which is a Ranger 3 --> Cleric

Amongst other bonuses, Ranger 3 means 2 pips in Flails and 3 in TWF, which is nice for a Cleric without losing many levels.

pedrorq said:

I'm trying something different in my run, which is a Ranger 3 --> Cleric

Amongst other bonuses, Ranger 3 means 2 pips in Flails and 3 in TWF, which is nice for a Cleric without losing many levels.

I think I did that experiment in vanilla IWD (or was it Fighter 3/Cleric, I am not sure it was a long time ago), anyhow it's a good build. Powergamers might disagree but for normal game it will do just nice. You'll get a cleric with a slight battle edge.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Member Posts: 24
    I went with:

Human Inquisitor Paladin
    Half-Elf Wizard Slayer Fighter
    Elf Ranger
    Human Ranger/Cleric (dual classed at level 3)
    Human Kensai Fighter/Mage (dual classed at level 3)
    Human Fighter/Thief (dual classed at level 4)

I went with dual-classing to get extra hit points and bonuses (eg. my Mage ended up with -7 AC, 92 HP's and could wield dual-swords instead of being weak with only a dagger or staff).
    My current plans are:

Tank:
    Human Undead Hunter (longsword + shield)

Front fighters:
    Human Ranger 3 --> Cleric (maces, flails, TWF)
    Human Swash 5 --> Fighter (axes, TWF)
    Elf Fighter/Mage (2H Swords, longbow)

Support:
    Half Elf Skald

Wildcard:
    Human Totemic Druid (dualled to fighter at 11? who knows?)

Does it look good?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    pedrorq said:

My current plans are:

Tank:

Front fighters:

Support:
    Half Elf Skald

Wildcard:

Does it look good?

Looks great to me, only I wouldn't give the awash/fighter two axes. I'd give him one...a throwing axe. Your front lines will be quite busy.
    Grum said:

pedrorq said:

My current plans are:

Tank:

Front fighters:

Support:
    Half Elf Skald

Wildcard:

Does it look good?

Looks great to me, only I wouldn't give the awash/fighter two axes. I'd give him one...a throwing axe. Your front lines will be quite busy.
    Can't he use a throwing one and a non-throwing one? :)

It's just that I wanted to avail of his TWF bonuses.
    pedrorq said:

My current plans are:

Tank:

Front fighters:

Support:
    Half Elf Skald

Wildcard:

Does it look good?

I like the break down as you have all the bases covered.

Few things:
    - There are some really good bastard swords while very few good 2 handers
    - Avenger rather than Totemic, you've got a solid front line already
    - Berserker 3 -> Cleric is much stronger unless you're cheating and allowing Druid spells (though with a Druid on board to heal you could go to berserker 7 easily)
    - I'd go to Swash 10 before dualing, Swash 5 is fine but it's nice to use the traps
    Wowo said:

pedrorq said:

My current plans are:

Tank:

Front fighters:

Support:
    Half Elf Skald

Wildcard:

Does it look good?

Few things:
    - Berserker 3 -> Cleric is much stronger unless you're cheating and allowing Druid spells (though with a Druid on board to heal you could go to berserker 7 easily)
    - I'd go to Swash 10 before dualing, Swash 5 is fine but it's nice to use the traps
    Ranger 3 -> gets more proficiency slots due to the 2 TWS "freebies", plus the favored enemy. And I want to avoid thief levels as it's not my thing. :)

Are bastard swords wielded 2 handed "automatically" as long as there's nothing in the off hand?
    pedrorq said:

Wowo said:

pedrorq said:

My current plans are:

Tank:

Front fighters:

Support:
    Half Elf Skald

Wildcard:

Does it look good?

Few things:
    Ranger 3 -> gets more proficiency slots due to the 2 TWS "freebies", plus the favored enemy. And I want to avoid thief levels as it's not my thing. :)

Are bastard swords wielded 2 handed "automatically" as long as there's nothing in the off hand?
    A berserker 3/cleric is going to have 2 pips in flails and 2 pips in TWF'ing. At level 3 you get 3 pips in flails (+2 thac0 and +1 damage), level 1 cleric is 1 pip in slings and 1 pip in mace, level 4 cleric is 4 pips in flails (+1 damage), level 8 cleric is 5 pips in flails (+1 attack per round, +1 damage).

Rangers miss out on Grandmastery which is why the berserker 7/cleric is so much stronger. 3 v 7 is important as the extra half attack rounds the APR to an even number which due to engine peculiarities can often mean an extra attack per round over an above what you'd expect.

Fair enough on the thief thing, I just enjoy laying a trap or two before resting to discourage anyone disturbing my rest (among other strategies).

Bastard swords are single handed only unless you download a mod but there is honestly no reason to have anyone using two handed weapons in IWD as the selection is so poor compared to dual wielding or even single handed wielding.
    Grum
    Also, unlike baldurs gate there are several good shields in icewind dale to use
    semiticgoddess
  • PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34
    I went HoF from level 1 with this party

- Human paladin undead hunter : longswod, axe, flail, shield, my main tank
    - gnome berzerker : 2 handed sword, staff, damage dealer
    - half orc barbarian : 2 weapons, longsword, flail, damage dealer
    - halfling bounty hunter : crossbow
    - dwarf cleric of lanthander : sling
    - elf ranger archer : longbow

19 / 22 apr
    Great damage
    Alle the races but one (half elf), i like playing this way

Petrol said:

I went HoF from level 1 with this party

- Human paladin undead hunter : longswod, axe, flail, shield, my main tank
    - gnome berzerker : 2 handed sword, staff, damage dealer
    - half orc barbarian : 2 weapons, longsword, flail, damage dealer
    - halfling bounty hunter : crossbow
    - dwarf cleric of lanthander : sling
    - elf ranger archer : longbow

19 / 22 apr
    Great damage
    Alle the races but one (half elf), i like playing this way

With:
    Elf FMT dual long sword/Longbow
    Half elf Skald
    Gnome Ill/Cler Mace/Flail
    Human Kensei 9/Druid Scimitar/Club
    Dwarf Fighter/Cleric Warhammer/Flail
    Half Orc Barbarian Bastard Sword/Axe

You can hit 24 APR unhasted, 48 with IH, 98 with Mislead, Simulcrum and Polymorph Self and probably more if you put your mind to it ...

Never be satisfied with less! And hey, still 6 different races ...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Just a comment on bastard swords. Most of them are random treasure, so it's possible to go through the game missing them.
    Grum
    BillyYank said:

Just a comment on bastard swords. Most of them are random treasure, so it's possible to go through the game missing them.

Aye. I prefer to do two things:

(1) Have a class which can only get ** in any weapon, and dual wield. That way I can be sure that I'll find something useful.

Example: Ranger/Cleric, Fighter/Cleric, Barbarian, Paladin. All of them can then get ** in things like bastards swords, flails, hammers, etc. They'll find *something* that they can use and can upgrade as things come on down.

(2) Have another class which can get ***** in a single weapon that I know that will drop.

Example: The game is *full* of amazing axes that you know will drop. So have a dwarven berserker with two weapon fighting and let him use axes. He'll end up with an offhand that will give him +2 AC (ie: a +1 shield which gives 10% DR from missiles and which gives +1 APR) and an evolving mainhand (axe of caged souls for +5 vs undead with Celebrant's axe for normal +4. Upgrade in HoW with the +5 axe that you can get)

This lets you ensure that you make the most use out of items. Some warriors get the random drops that push them up in power levels, while others use the great items you know you will get.

--------

Good proficiency points for *****

* Axes:
    Axe of the Defender (+2, +2 AC, 10% DR from missiles)
    Axe of Caged Souls (+3/+5 vs undead)
    Celebrant's Axe (+4)
    Young Rage (+5)
    Lonesome Road (+3 two handed, +1 Con. Great for dwarfs and half orcs! Consider having a half orc with this and the +2 throwing axe)
    Throwing Axe +2 (best missile weapon in the game)

* Longswords
    Everain's Broadsword (early guaranteed find of a +2)
    Alamion (guaranteed +3 longsword, also +5 vs salamanders, 10% fire resistance, -5% cold resistance)
    Pale Justice (for paladins only, +4/+7 vs evil)
    Aihonen (+4, 25% fire resistance, +5 HP)

+ several random finds, such as the coveted +3 longsword of action (+1 APR! Perfect offhand!)

* Maybe greatswords
    Kresselack's Sword (guaranteed +1 with 10% cold resistance)
    Cairn Blade (guaranteed +4)

Rare few interim greatswords...

* Spears
    Spear of White Ash (buy ASAP, because there aren't any random drops, +3 with +1d6 damage)
    Spear of Kerish (guaranteed drop. +3, with +1d6 cold damage and 10% fire resistance)
    Slayer (guaranteed drop of +5)

* Katanas
    +1 guaranteed in Kresselack's tomb
    +2 darkened glory guaranteed

--------------

Fun for RP. The lucky Ranger.

lvl 1: ** in Maces and Scimitars

Dual Wield, Scimitars and Maces

Mainhand: Love of Black Bess (very cheap, 10% of all hits cause the target to lose 4 points of Luck)
    Offhand: Lucky Scimitar (gives you luck)

If possible, get the girdle that blesses you as well.

This gives your character +2 to hit and +2 damage (from constant bless and luck)

Give another character katana profiency for darkened glory (+2, chance of a critical and casting curse on the entire enemy party).

The enemy bumbles around helplessly as Lady Tamora smiles upon you.

JLeeJuliusBorisovWinterisle
  • PetrolPetrol Member Posts: 34
    For this game, best weapons are :
    - In the beginning, longsword and flail/morningstar, axe
    - During adventure, longsword, flail/morningstar , staff (a + 4 staff only for mage, take a FM).

There's a longbow apr=4, but random, a apr=3 crossbow random too. Best bow to buy is a shortbow apr = 3 (sold in trial of the luremaster)

Bastard sword, i think it's not match, prefered longsword with +1 apr and +1 AC (2 of them in heart of winter)

Weapons with flame damage are great too, mainly for trolls.
    There's a longsword +2 early in the game, and flail +3 in trial of the luremaster.
    A hammer with acid damage is good too, but random.

JuliusBorisov
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Turnips and Other Fine Vegetables Inc:

Gnome Fighter
    Gnome Fighter/Cleric
    Gnome Fighter/Cleric
    Gnome Fighter/Thief
    Gnome Illusionist
    Gnome Fighter/Illusionist

Because gnomes.
    WinterisleDragonspear
    Elendar said:

Turnips and Other Fine Vegetables Inc:

Gnome Fighter
    Gnome Fighter/Cleric
    Gnome Fighter/Cleric
    Gnome Fighter/Thief
    Gnome Illusionist
    Gnome Fighter/Illusionist

Because gnomes.

If always include an Illusionist/Cleric because metamagic.
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Very good suggestions here.
    I completed my last HoF level 1 run (applying enemy AC fix) with the following party:
    [spoiler=Full Party]
    imageimageimageimageimageimage[/spoiler]
    Fighter/Cleric are Berkerker>Cleric 7>X.
    I don't think I could build a more efficient/low maintenance party.
    Check the save if you want to know more about proficiencies and such.
    SkatanGrum
    Question about the Skald: am I understanding correctly that its role is simply staying on the back row singing his song? And the occasional identify/knock for those so inclined?
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    @pedrorq He's much more than that. You can slip in a spell each round between two iterations of its song. It's a better Mage in that regard. Also given that he casts better version of spells due to Rogue leveling.