Skip to content

Melf's Minute Meteors + Improved haste = Swift Death?

Hello!

Noticed following combination:

The third level mage spell Melf's Minute Meteors and Improved Haste means 10 attacks per round.

However

When the conjured meteors disapears, this means I should get 2 attacks per round. Instead I continue having 10 attacks per round.... In the middle of a fight this means I'll still have the increased APR.

Anyone know how to fix this bug?

PS. Demogorgon suddenly became ALOT easier.... DS.

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The APR thing is a still-unfixed bug. Whenever you run out of a limited-charge item, like Minute Meteors, darts, arrows, or whatever, your APR gets stuck at that value.

Your APR returns to normal if you reload the save.
  • MWOMWO Member Posts: 214
    Hmm, okej. Why isn't it fixed?

Seems quite unfair... I mean, one cannot simply reload during the middle of a fight. Meaning every fight will get increasingly easy. Cheap.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It isn't fixed because somebody hasn't figured it out. It's been known for a while, but we don't know why it showed up. It wasn't there until EE.

Sometimes I just ignore it and let my characters attack at the erroneous APR. Sometimes I just interrupt their attacks mid-round before they use those extra attacks. Sometimes I just avoid casting Minute Meteors, or cast Cause Serious Wounds to replace the weapon before running out.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited February 2016
    It was not there until the latest patch. It is a new bug that came to exist because the devs changed something internal in the engine code with the last patch. This was an unintended result. Casting animations also became a bit wonky (a frame or two slower than before) and changed with haste/slow but I got used to that.

There are limited fan made fixes for these, if you drop the editted melf meteor and energy blades item files to your override folder, those items give the bonus attack rate for a duration, not as long as held. This eliminates the bug but rather indecently. For energy blades it is okay, but mmms stay forever, thus with this fix if you cast mmm and spend some time (or rest) you go back to 1 attack/round even with the meteors.

I also want to say that mmm is horribly broken in the original game. Pnp version is supposed to do only 1-4 damage per meteor while bg mmm does +3 extra missile and +3 more fire damage per hit. Also its fire damage ignores mr. Also, the enchantment level and attack bonus are way too high to the point of absurdness for a lvl 3 spell. I nerf this spell to the ground in my modded game, only +2 weapon, +2 to hit, no missile damage, 1-4 fire damage per hit that can be blocked by mr. There.

@semiticgod nice idea with casting cause wounds before mmms run out. I guess a minor and more mage friendly spell like chill touch, or shocking grasp for the electrically inclined, will work too? That is a good idea.
  • BubblesBubbles Member Posts: 589
    Hahaha, imagine Aerie wunning around with 10 APRs ... and all buffed up ^^.
    All the warriors can sheath their swords and retire ^^
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    Aerie with 10 APR; That would be a sight to behold. I remember, during my first full playthrough of the series, having her thumping enemies alongside Minsc and thinking it hilarious. Clerics on their own can be absolute monsters even at just 2 attacks per round, hasted. But Aerie, with her cleric/mage combo? Sheesh... for a willowy injured elf she sure can knock someone into the ground Wile-E-Coyote style.

There should just be a spell for Cleric/Mages called 'drop cartoon anvil'. Would save on the pre-buffing, but yield the same result.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Whith just a "little abuse" of this bug should be possible, with the help of a little C/M magic, have her at 10 APR, 55 dmg each :smile: