Skip to content

A Warrior's Tastes in Launchers

2»

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    If you think slings are whimpy, let me share an interesting historical tidbit: The ancient Greeks, the same people who repeatedly kicked the ass of the Persian Empire in spite of being consistently outnumbered by quite a lot, were terrified of slings. They actually believed that sling bullets became red hot and partially melted from the force with which they were hurled, so great was their destructive power. Of course that's not what actually happens. What actually happens is that the lead sling bullets hit hard enough to substantially deform on impact. Granted, lead is soft, but even so, that's a serious hit.

So yeah. The whole David and Goliath thing? If there was a miracle there, it was in David's aim, not that the fact that a sling bullet to the head killed the towering Goliath. That part's exactly what would've happened.
    Tressetsemiticgoddess
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Jarrakul said:

So yeah. The whole David and Goliath thing? If there was a miracle there, it was in David's aim, not that the fact that a sling bullet to the head killed the towering Goliath. That part's exactly what would've happened.

Not to mention that Goliath likely had some sort of gigantism disorder which may have made him a bit more sensitive to blows to the head.
    [Deleted User]
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    I can't help imagine a helmet would have changed the ending of that story significantly. Critical hits and all that :smile:
    Tresset[Deleted User]semiticgoddess
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    In real life, helmets don't make you immune to head blows. Resistant, sure, but a sling bullet at close range is probably still going to kill you, helmet or no, either from the concussion or by snapping your neck. If it doesn't kill you outright, it'll definitely disorient you for a good while, which, as Baldur's Gate teaches us, is as good as dead in a fight.
    Hudzy[Deleted User]semiticgoddess
  • OtherguyOtherguy Member Posts: 157
    If you have gigantism (acromegaly rather) then chances are your bones, even in the skull would be even sturdier making you resistant rather than prone to fractures. Mr Valujev was a heavyweight champion in boxing after all.

Medical questions aside I would still asume an arrow from a well fashioned bow would kill you even more dead than a lead bullet from a sling. Hitting the head would probably end the fight anyway, hitting the body or a limb though I would definately put my money on the arrow.

We are talking about a game where everyone can take a few direct hits from a greatsword before hitting the floor though...
    Tressetsemiticgoddess
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited March 2016
    I love slings.

Weapon of the Ewoks.

Bane of Stormtroopers.

The fact that slings are considered inferior toy weapons only makes taking down a strong foe with one all the more astounding and insulting. Fighters get really good use out of them with grandmastery, upping those attacks to 2.

True, not the highest APR, but it's enough.

And true, no elemental ammo (except sunstone in pitiful quantities), but I've still heard a worthy foe--previously unconvinced by my halfing thief's use of pebbles--scream out in agony "Oh god, it burns with the power of rocks!" while rubbing stones out of his/her eye.

I'm not so much of a power gamer. What I really do love, however, is style. Slings and Flails together just do something for me (Clerics know where it's at). Now if only Kara Tur made nunchaku.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

For a moment I read "A Warrior's Tastes in Laundry" there. Turned out the topic didn't involved a single fabric softener. :neutral:

For a moment I read "...didn't involve a single barbaric softener."

Don't browse forums while tired folks...
    dunbar
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Bows are for the weak! Any char with decent strength should use slingz