Skip to content

Legacy of Bhaal

2»

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Heavyline said:

Iam confused.. Is "Legacy of Bhaal" supposed to be extreme diffculty mode for veterans or is it more like New Game+ mode? Is it considered cheating if I import level 8 character from my previous playthrough and start a Legacy of Bhaal run with it?

A bit of both. Legacy of Bhaal beefs up the enemies you face in the game, which should allow you to get a bit more challenge if you're restarting with your high-level character. On the other hand, if you really want a challenge, you can activate it right from level 1 and see how you fare against Reevor's rats.
    JuliusBorisovSkydogGirewanTresset
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    edited March 2016
    So, I played this mode from level 1 to a six-party around level 6. I really like the idea of a ~HoF mode. The problem is that it's indeed the same 'Nightmare' mode as in IWD (without the XP buff!). But both games are different and to be honest it's quite a chore in BG because there's not enough XP, good items and more importantly high enough level cap. So you pretty much have to resort to the usual cheap strategies from the start to the end of the game.

I guess it would be difficult programming-wise to change how this mode functions but as it is now it's not very enjoyable.
    Post edited by Abel on
    SkydograeshiaBelegCuthalionJuliusBorisov
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2016
    Pecca wrote: »
    The name "Legacy of Bhaal" is rather spoilery though.

After thinking about it a bit, I guess the name is no more spoilery than using the holy symbol of Bhaal as the game's emblem, and that has been the case since the beginning.
    illathidJuliusBorisov
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Yeah the "HP Sponge" nature of the upgraded enemies is less than ideal. IIRC it adds something like a flat 50 hp to all enemies. I think something that scaled would work much better, like an extra 10 hp per hit dice.
  • chaos286chaos286 Member Posts: 21
    I really think LoB mode needs to restore the exp bonus, and possibly even alter the level cap, if not remove it entirely.

Once LOB is actually working, you should be able to get the bonus xp (2*xp + 1000) by setting "Nightmare Bonus XP" to 1 in baldur.lua. Combined with the 2*xp that you get for Insane difficulty (provided "No Difficulty Based XP Bonus" is set to 0), you should get the full bonus of 4*xp + 2000 for LOB. In v2.0.60, I was able to get LOB to work fine after I changed GameDifficulty from 6 back 7 in baldur.gam.

The bigger problem right now is that LOB is effectively nonfunctional in the latest beta (V2.0.61). It works fine for new areas, where the monsters have to be created from the default CRE files. It even saves creatures with the correct LOB stats in the area files in baldur.sav. However, the game engine doesn't appear to actually apply those stats when it loads the saved game. Even with BD_Nightmare_Mode = 1 and GameDifficulty =7 in baldur.gam, I can't get it to work. If anybody can get LOB mode to work for explored areas in the latest beta, I would certainly appreciate the solution.

Right now, I'm simulating LOB mode with a mod that applies the correct LOB stats (as far as I know) to the CRE files. It's essentially a modified version of the HOF emulator that has been posted in this forum. It obviously won't work for monsters that already existed in baldur.sav when I installed the mod, but it seems to work fine other than that.

Abel
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    Oh, well if the option to enable it is there, no problem! They should probably add it to the in-game options menu, though. Thanks for the heads-up!
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2016
    chaos286 wrote: »
    If anybody can get LOB mode to work for explored areas in the latest beta, I would certainly appreciate the solution.

I did some looking into this once and I think I have the solution. If it ever gets turned off then start a new game in LoB difficulty and then load the save you want to play in. Keep in mind that every time you hit the "done" button in the gameplay options menu it will turn LoB difficulty off, so try to avoid doing that for now.

From what I have observed, LoB will affect all creatures the instant it is turned on in any saved game, be it in explored areas or unexplored areas.

Of course, last time I looked at this I was in 2.0.60.0 and the behavior appears to have changed a bit since then...
  • chaos286chaos286 Member Posts: 21
    Upon further review, it appears that this issue only applies to creatures that are in an active area (one that contains a party member) when the game was saved. This is currently being worked on as bug #21962. In the meantime, I think the best workaround for LOB players is to not save when you're in an area that contains anyone you might want to kill.
    Abel
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637