Skip to content

How many of us are using a shaman right now?

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
edited March 2016 in The Road to v2.0
Just for the lols, I want to see how many of us are playing around with the shaman class right now as opposed to other classes, because I get the feeling that this will be a very lopsided poll...
  1. How many of us are using a shaman right now?61 votes
    1. I made a shaman to play with!
      47.54%
    2. I am still using other classes right now. Shaman can wait.
      42.62%
    3. Other?
        9.84%

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I've only tried the beta for less than an hour (I found some of the options not changing, like sprite outlines, to be annoying), but I did make a shaman. And I really like it. I've always preferred the Sorcerer way of spellcasting, i.e. cast any spell you have rather than have memorised and I always stick to a smaller selection of spells anyway, so the class suits me just fine. Might actually play a "druid" properly for once :)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Me likes pretty, green, spiritual half-orcess picture. :mrgreen:
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    edited March 2016
    Because i start new round then can import my character into SOD after couple weeks later~~
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @Silverstar I believe that the sprite outlines do change but you have to switch the setting and then quit (either to the main menu or to the desktop, I forget which) and start up the game again.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    edited March 2016
    His lvl6 spell looks pretty good, like a slightly better version of Feeblemind.
    As for the rest, I'm not particularly impressed.

It doesn't reach the potential of the other classes, unless they are gonna modify it or give it some very good synergy with his HLA.
    And that's his problem: synergy.
    A Thief goes invisible so it can backstab, a warrior can equip the heaviest armors so it make use of his melee ability, etc.

I fail to see the role of this class.
    It is arguably better than a kitless Druid but let's be honest: kitless Druids are also terribly annoying to play.

It can't fight due to bad pips, it is not a good magic-damage dealer, it heals but is not as reliable as a cleric who can even protect himself better in order to stay in battle and do his job.
    Sure, he summons cannon fodder for free, but even these spirits aren't that great in BG2 and the concept of the dance is: you can't play your char meanwhile.

I was looking for a way around, but it can't stay invisible while using that toggle and it looks like not even its simulacrum can summon spirits with the dance.
    (Actually they are summoned by the simulacrum but disappear immediately).

I could see its usefulness if it was allowed to dual or multi to classes =/= than Cleric, Druid, Ranger, Paladin.
    Post edited by SpaceInvader on
  • ManBearPigManBearPig Member Posts: 34
    I've been playing a shaman in BG1 and it isn't bad. I like the new animations for the spells (the mist spell and the spirit fire spell). At least in BG1 the free summons work well and the spells are useful. I question how well they will scale in BG2 though. The HLA seem a bit "meh." They are cool in concept but I don't know that they will be very effective against high level opponents in TOB. Ethereal retribution doesn't hit through magic resistance (though again, cool animation!). The other two would be ok if you could really bring a shaman into melee... but I don't know if that's feasible.

Maybe they'll add in some shaman specific items that broaden the class' use in the end game? Remains to be seen.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited March 2016

I don't think I can play the beta :( - I have BGEE from Beamdog direct, but never got the 1.3 beta. And I got BG2EE from
    GOG.

But @SpaceInvader I don't think you're contemplating the point of this class. 2 obvious ones that I can see:

1) It's a role-playing game, not a DPS competition, and some people might just find it cool to play a Shaman who can summon spirits to their aid.

2)

Sure, he summons cannon fodder for free, but even these spirits aren't that great in BG2 and concept is: you can't play your char meanwhile.

I have a mod the gives Conjurers an at-will cantrip to summon a simple, 3-hp, thac0-20 rabbit. Just a one-hit-and-dead rabbit... but usable "for free," as you say. Well, turns out I had accidentally created the most powerful spell in the game.. It's not cannon fodder, it's a distraction. And used in a well-rounded party with good tactics, it is shockingly useful. Free summons let you own the first two rounds of any combat encounter, and that basically wins you the game.
    I'm sorry, but it's a strategy role-playing game.

And unfortunately these spirits become not so useful if you use mods that properly improve the AI, thus ignoring summons (when possible) to go straight for the spellcasters.
    Not to talk about Death Spell and ADHW.
    Post edited by SpaceInvader on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @subtledoctor you can't unfortunately control your summons, they are independent.
    Which means that the first Death Spell and ADHW will hit all of them, in case of the latter probably the Shaman too.

Anyway, we've just seen the beta.
    Maybe something will change.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    I rolled one up in BG and it didn't start with the 20 skill points in Detect Illusions. Seemed correct in BG2. Haven't had a chance to report it or see if its been reported yet.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    Had a quick look at Shaman. I really like the class but it seems a little over-powered in early levels. I nuked an Ogre at level 1
    Ithual said:

Had a quick look at Shaman. I really like the class but it seems a little over-powered in early levels. I nuked an Ogre at level 1

I almost always nuke that ogre. I think using the dance is actually less powerful than using a sleep spell on the ogre, should you be a mage. I don't think the class is all that powerful to be honest.
    Yeah, true. He's not hard. But most classes I have to work at it (I take it with just Charname and Imoen)
    @Ithual Same here...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited March 2016
    I really prefer to offer an opinion about the shaman after I have played one all the way to TOB but by class description alone they felt quite limited in the long run.
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2016
    I started one.

In regards to Spirits, they are quite buggy and need a looking at for start.
    Lost count of the amount of times they get stuck on each other, or the amount of times they just sit there and refuse to attack onscreen enemies (that are literally attacking them), or how many times they just randomly unsummon when loading a game (But this isn't a constant, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't - so it's not just a case of not being able to save and load games while spirits are out)
    Don't understand why we aren't given direct control over them either.

Only in BG1 at the moment. They make good decoys and distractions, aren't very good for much else though at lvl 1-6 where I am currently. Can't comment on how well these scale later on.

Sorcerer style spellcasting is interesting.. though I feel it is wasted on this class and should be a selling point for something else, shamans already have the Dance and Spirits as their class gimmick.
    Lack of Stronghold in BGII is a nice, big, turn-off also. Surely they can just shoe-horn me into the Druid's, it's about close enough thematically of the core classes that do get to have one.

Ultimately however, the biggest issue for me is the same problem and reason I stay away from Bards or Jester kit bards. That is - they are a one gimmick trick pony and once you put the modal toggle skill on, you literally just sit there unable to do anything else. Passively sitting back and controlling the other party members instead isn't terribly fun in my opinion.

If I were to propose a change (way too late and too soon before the launch for it to matter..), I would re-work the class entirely. Instead of summoning spirits and then just being a passive bystander while your non-controllable spirits do whatever they feel like, I would instead re-work the lore and idea of the class so that while 'Dancing' (or meditating or whatever I might change it to) the Shaman in question is actually transferring their consciousness to a Spirit that is created.
    The player's character is still there with a massive armour penalty and killable while the modal ability is active, perhaps even in some sort of stunned or debilitating state, In the meantime you get to take control of differing spirit(s) based on the Shaman's level or what-have-you.
    They would probably need to be somewhat better than they are currently, but for balance and to fit in theme you could create a backlash (Small amount of damage, instant fatigue, confused, [insert idea here]) to the Shaman upon the Spirit being destroyed or Unsummoned while in combat.
    Would still have that 'unlimited summoning' ability that is the basis and core of the class, while giving some interactivity and a sense of actually participating instead of being rooted in-place resigned to some modal ability. (Technically 'You' still would be, but thematically you are now this controllable Spirit or number of Spirits that could have their own set of abilities etc.)
    Stoibs said:

I started one.

In regards to Spirits, they are quite buggy and need a looking at for start.
    Lost count of the amount of times they get stuck on each other, or the amount of times they just sit there and refuse to attack onscreen enemies (that are literally attacking them), or how many times they just randomly unsummon when loading a game (But this isn't a constant, sometimes they do and sometimes they don't - so it's not just a case of not being able to save and load games while spirits are out)
    Don't understand why we aren't given direct control over them either.

Only in BG1 at the moment. They make good decoys and distractions, aren't very good for much else though at lvl 1-6 where I am currently. Can't comment on how well these scale later on.

Sorcerer style spellcasting is interesting.. though I feel it is wasted on this class and should be a selling point for something else, shamans already have the Dance and Spirits as their class gimmick.
    Lack of Stronghold in BGII is a nice, big, turn-off also. Surely they can just shoe-horn me into the Druid's, it's about close enough thematically of the core classes that do get to have one.

Ultimately however, the biggest issue for me is the same problem and reason I stay away from Bards or Jester kit bards. That is - they are a one gimmick trick pony and once you put the modal toggle skill on, you literally just sit there unable to do anything else. Passively sitting back and controlling the other party members instead isn't terribly fun in my opinion.

If I were to propose a change (way too late and too soon before the launch for it to matter..), I would re-work the class entirely. Instead of summoning spirits and then just being a passive bystander while your non-controllable spirits do whatever they feel like, I would instead re-work the lore and idea of the class so that while 'Dancing' (or meditating or whatever I might change it to) the Shaman in question is actually transferring their consciousness to a Spirit that is created.
    The player's character is still there with a massive armour penalty and killable while the modal ability is active, perhaps even in some sort of stunned or debilitating state, In the meantime you get to take control of differing spirit(s) based on the Shaman's level or what-have-you.
    They would probably need to be somewhat better than they are currently, but for balance and to fit in theme you could create a backlash (Small amount of damage, instant fatigue, confused, [insert idea here]) to the Shaman upon the Spirit being destroyed or Unsummoned while in combat.
    Would still have that 'unlimited summoning' ability that is the basis and core of the class, while giving some interactivity and a sense of actually participating instead of being rooted in-place resigned to some modal ability. (Technically 'You' still would be, but thematically you are now this controllable Spirit or number of Spirits that could have their own set of abilities etc.)

I wish I could put an Insightful, Agree and Like at this post.
    I think that Shamans are quite a bit different than Druids with regards to Lore. They are tapping into the spirit realm... a Shaman could never be an Arch-Druid and leader of a grove.

I see Shamans as more of a lone Ranger. What I mean is, the could certainly lead a community but you wouldn't expect to find a Shaman's Grove.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The Shaman's inability to have a stronghold actually comes from PnP, for the reason @Ithual stated.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    I see a color shifted rainbow mushroom quest to solve ... It's ... Colorful ... Sheesh ... Heeheehee ... ...
  • ManBearPigManBearPig Member Posts: 34
    I posted this question in the regular SoD message board... is there a reason that none of the icewind dale druid spells were carried over to BG:EE? It would go a long way to improving the druid (& shaman by extension) spell selection. Anyone know?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

I posted this question in the regular SoD message board... is there a reason that none of the icewind dale druid spells were carried over to BG:EE? It would go a long way to improving the druid (& shaman by extension) spell selection. Anyone know?

Couldn't tell you. But ID always had some spells BG didn't. 3rd edition ones like Cat's Grace, Bull's Strength for example. They're probably just still doing that thing.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    As I have a thread full of Shaman experts now ;)

Can you confirm that Shaman uses the druid xp table?

If so, I wonder if we have any in-game explanation for the strange curve. That is a large part of the flavor of PnP druid, where the higher levels are political, limited to a set number of individuals so that it takes time to rise through those named ranks, before ultimately being recognized as the one and only arch-druid. The levels after that were an afterthought, as player continued to want to play their characters beyond the 'traditional' levels, and so the arch-druid was allowed (after a suitable period of service) to lay aside their duties to the religion, and pursue a more personal relationship and service of nature - which is the sudden acceleration of levels again after a long, expensive period - and also why 14 level is so special, being the arch druid is a big deal (whether or not you take the grove in BG2).

Shaman's don't seem to have that background - very specifically they are too solitary in nature to have the political structure for the traditional base-of-operations perk in BG, so how would we explain the xp curve?

(unless I am wrong and they use the cleric or sorcerer xp curve, or similar, in which case, nothing more to explain!)
    @GreenWarlock Shamans have the same XP/Level requirements as mages and sorcerers.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Thanks Tresset, that does indeed make more sense :) Just hope they get a better spell/day rate than the sorcerer, or they will be really missing those 8th and 9th level spells!
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Dee said:

The Shaman's inability to have a stronghold actually comes from PnP, for the reason @Ithual stated.

The Shaman should be able to build a spirit lodge, and then have animal spirits appear to do quests for and send on missions.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited March 2016
    Pecca said:

Looking at the spirit summoning in Near Infinity, it seems that it's softcoded and uses "change bard song" opcode. So there is quite a potencial for modding it.

Yes. My first thought was a "Death Shaman" kit with undead summons and a selection of necromantic spells added to their spell list.

My second thought was an exotic dancer who can use the dance to fascinate enemies. Anyone else remember the "Houri" class from White Dwarf magazine in the 1980s?