Skip to content

Fun Character Classes to play from BG:EE-TOB in a No Re-load challenge?

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
Looking to do a character run from BG:EE-BG2:EE TOB on No Reload that imparts a unique player experience. Usually play Ranger, Sorc, Fighter/Mage, or F/T but looking for something new yet viable to get through the hurdle of enemies both games have to other unscathed. Willing to play any of the above classes if need be but really looking for something different. Any suggestions?

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Wild Mage :3

No but seriously, try a single-class thief, kit and dual-class optional. I'm not that into no-reloads myself but thieves are extremely fun with the right strategy. The NPC thieves in the game are very poorly optimized.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380

Wild Mage :3

No but seriously, try a single-class thief, kit and dual-class optional. I'm not that into no-reloads myself but thieves are extremely fun with the right strategy. The NPC thieves in the game are very poorly optimized.

Wouldn't make it out of Candlekeep with Wild Mage. Interesting choice.I love using Thief's HLAs so I'm a bit lerry dualing out of Thief into another class. Would it still be as viable without UAI?
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Coouullddd play a Bard.

Mage spells, super quick leveling, can cast in elven chain, pickpocketing so your thieves don't have to, UAI, and improved bard song. The kits are all fun and interesting too. If you liked the F/M you may like the Blade Bard. The Blade's one weakness, the normal bard song, is fixed by the HLA Bard Song.
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    I am currently running a solo half orc cleric/thief in BG1. This has been quite fun lots of spells, thief abilities and you can where good armour for the tougher fights. The only limitation are the weapons. But you can't have everything.
    edited March 2016
    10Bazza11 said:

I am currently running a solo half orc cleric/thief in BG1. This has been quite fun lots of spells, thief abilities and you can where good armour for the tougher fights. The only limitation are the weapons. But you can't have everything.

Best Weapon for Cleric/Thief is Staff-Mace in BG:EE. Quarterstaff is the go to weapon especially since a +3 can be acquired early from Ulgoth's Beard. Fun class agreed but made one already.
    edited March 2016
    Vallmyr said:

Coouullddd play a Bard.

Mage spells, super quick leveling, can cast in elven chain, pickpocketing so your thieves don't have to, UAI, and improved bard song. The kits are all fun and interesting too. If you liked the F/M you may like the Blade Bard. The Blade's one weakness, the normal bard song, is fixed by the HLA Bard Song.

How viable are they for a solo run? Figured out a way to get Drizzt's armour early without killing him. It's a bit of an exploit involving the use of an invisibility pot and off-center camera visibilty to the point where he stops attacking gnolls while they attack him. Takes about 20 mins for Drizzt to be slain but in No Reload insane it's fair-game.
    Thanks for the tip I am currently running around with a club + 1
    10Bazza11 said:

Thanks for the tip I am currently running around with a club + 1

Clubs get good around TOB but until then they are realy strictly for Beastmasters more or less. QS though it may not fit RP purposes for some is literally the best weap for backstab in all 3 games.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Cleric or Druid (I prefer Cleric). You've already played warriors, arcane casters, and thief hybrids, so a Priest class would be the next logical step. You could even play a dual class Fighter 6/Cleric 7 to add to HP, THAC0, and APR. It would be more challenging as a pure Cleric though.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    FMT is my usual suggestion, but I don't know if it's different enough to your normal FM or FT. What about priest classes? I guess R/C would be pretty good.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Unsure about solo as I've never done it before. Sorry :(
    You would level VERY quickly but the Bard song would become somewhat useless unless used on summons.
    Philhelm said:

Cleric or Druid (I prefer Cleric). You've already played warriors, arcane casters, and thief hybrids, so a Priest class would be the next logical step. You could even play a dual class Fighter 6/Cleric 7 to add to HP, THAC0, and APR. It would be more challenging as a pure Cleric though.

Pretty neat idea. Been juggling the idea of using an Avenger and possibly dual classing it into Fighter (though not the best idea in terms of spell progression). I'd be like a psuedo Fighter/Mage/Druid. With SoD coming out on the 31st it won't hurt to build one for a Druid friendly expansion.

FMT is my usual suggestion, but I don't know if it's different enough to your normal FM or FT. What about priest classes? I guess R/C would be pretty good.

Love FMT & R/C. Though I haven't no Re-loaded either they've all but cut a bloody swath across the Sword Coast and ToB.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Noloir Yeah both are super powerful classes. Also the Blackguard is really good and interesting if you've never tried it.
    I like the idea of the Black Guard I just find it very difficalt to be totally evil. I did try when I first got BGEE. The ranger/cleric sound intresting, spells with long range attacks with the added bonus of hide in shadows.
    10Bazza11 said:

I like the idea of the Black Guard I just find it very difficalt to be totally evil. I did try when I first got BGEE. The ranger/cleric sound intresting, spells with long range attacks with the added bonus of hide in shadows.

Unfortunately the game doesn't reward Evil Aligned actions. There's no incentive for playing Evil aside from Rancor +1. R/C isn't a Ranged Char in the sense of the word but far more powerful. The benefit of R/C lies in the ability to use Druidic+Clerical spells while retaining the Thac0 of a Ranger.

Dual flail is recommended or Flail+Hammer for the SoA items Flail of Ages, The Defender of Easthaven, and Crom Faeyr +5 Hammer. The Ranger aspect comes from it's ability to spam Wand of Heavens, Sleep, Wand of Fear, and Explosion potions from a distance. There's litterally no downside to R/C making it easily one of the most, if not THE most OP class in the game.

@Noloir Yeah both are super powerful classes. Also the Blackguard is really good and interesting if you've never tried it.

Love BlkGD but in BG it's lacking a bit for a straight foward run. It's excellent in BG2 though.
  • MalinorMalinor Member Posts: 11
    Gnome cleric/illusionist is a very good character in solo games (also half-elf cleric/mage works).
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    stolen out my other Thread ... a LvL 2 Mage dualed to Thief

-a Specialized Mage Level 2 gets 3 LvL 1 spellslots that's Perfectly for 3times "Armor" Granting rk6 which is like a Studded Letherarmor +2 for 27 Hours (or just use Shield with 1-3 hours for RK4). Opening up the Chest Slot for Robes. with a 20% fire resistance robe and the two 40% rings your immune to fire which brings us to,
    -All the Fancy Wands ! ... yep right from the beginning with a downtime of lousy 2500xp, think about a stealthed guy sneaking up close and personal in a horde and blowing it up walking unhurt out the smoldering corpses.
    -if you don't fancy a robe you can wear your run of the Mill leather armor and just use 3 free identify a day , you have to be in your inventory to check out the new loot anyhow so moving your armor for a moment is less than inconvenient.
    -Scroll casting ! use all you want instead of selling them.
    -And Using all the Other Mage goodies Long before UAI
    -you also get Find Familiar which compensates for the lost Thief Level HP and in BG2+TOB even nets a few extra !

something off the Mill but viable.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Alot of classes, no matter kits or MC versions, offer rather similar experiences. For me, two of the builds that offered truly unique experiences was C/T and C/M, since noone of them relied on martial prowess to win fights (melee or ranged). I did a run in BG1 where I created a mirror image of Tiax and played him as CHARNAME. It was quite rewarding to play the true master of the universe as CHARNAME, with his stat limits and ghast summoning, and make him (almost) as great and powerful as his image of himself, hehe.

But as @Malinor says, since you've already played C/T I'd tell you to try a C/M. It seems you've already done most builds which offer unique experiences and just adding kits or going FMT instead of FM or FT isn't unique IMHO. The C/M (or C/I) though, offers a unique experience in the form of spell combinations, which you most likely already know of though. It's a good build to go with a very small/minimal party as well and I've played through most of BG1 and SoA with just Imoen and Jan respectively.

And if all else fails, and you realize you have already tried most or all of the possible unique scenarios, my suggestion is to create something else which is 'unique', as my Tiax playthrough mentioned above (it takes some creativity of course, both keepered and in your own head :P ).
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    I think a Blade kit that starts out being weapon proficient with two-handed swords and two-handed sword style is viable to the end. Clever use of Spider Bane makes this build the most powerful tank at only around 20k xp. +6 AC, Mirror Image, Blur, and the ability to move through a battle field that could be covered with Web or Grease spells. At the cap there's another +4 AC and Stoneskin...not even the mighty Dwarven Defender could boast of such might or maneuverability. On the attack, maximum damage with 10% critical success, 2 attacks, and the right items makes them Kensai-esque. Perhaps even more effective than a Sword Saint in BG1 because the duration of maximum damage is much longer per use. I think it wise to start planning for two-weapon use for the rest of the game (which would take until 12th level) but always being able to fall back to the two-handed sword is nice. I also enjoy the high caster level of bards, the duration of a Tenser's Transformation spell can make them fearsome warriors for long periods of time.