Skip to content

Soloing and dual classing problem

I was thinking to try a little challenge, but I'm facing a little problem:

My character is playing solo, and has to dual class.
Alas, as soon he dual class, it becomes unable to kill enemies of its level due to starting up at level 1.

I was wondering if there would be some trick to make him get immediatly a few level as soon it dual class, so it will gain a few level and can keep going in the adventure.

Any idea?

Comments

• SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    It depends on what class you were, to which class you intend to dual and what lvl.

A general "trick" is to almost finish the quests, leaving it before the last dialog.
    So you can come back later to get the reward on the dual-class.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    There are a few ways. If you dual into a mage, you can scribe scrolls to get XP. If you dual into a thief, you can pick locks/disarm traps to gather some XP.

You can also finish up some major quests BEFORE you dual but NOT hand them in for the reward, which is usually a lot of XP. You simply go on leveling until you dual, THEN hand them in - and get a chunk of XP to catapult you through a bunch of levels at once.

If all that fails, go to areas with low level monsters. The sewers under the Copper Coronet, for example, or the outside area of the Windspear Hills. And a few others. See what works best for you, with the XP values in BG2 it shouldn't take long to regain levels.

Finally, if you really cannot make it work - go multiclass from the start instead.
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited March 2016
    This is going to be though, I feel.

The game already screw me because it gives my character more levels in my first class that I truly want to have, straight out of the creation... and I have no clue to counter that without using cheats.
    Then, I'm starting chapter 2 with too few levels in the second class for the challenge I want to take on.

If the game allowed me to level up step by step, I would have no problem... but except re-playing the WHOLE BG1, I don't see a way to do that... and that's just too long.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Just say what you're trying to do and we can help
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Stack scrolls, get a mage in if you are not one, scribe like crazy
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Take on a few companions, let them help you get the xp. When you're strong enough, KILL THEM. You've been playing a solo game, it was ALWAYS a solo game.
    edited March 2016
    lol @FinnTheHuman

A Shadowdancer (2 or 5) > Mage, and pass the first levels of the Mage part without doing any fight...
    Moonheart said:

lol @FinnTheHuman

A Shadowdancer (2 or 5) > Mage, and pass the first levels of the Mage part without doing any fight...
    You cannot have that low level without importing from bg1, I suggest you just edit
  • matricematrice Member Posts: 86
    edited March 2016
    you want to dual into mage, just scrib, it's easy
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    In my opinion, if you accept learning and re-learning scrolls, grinding infinite mobs, hoarding quests to hand in at a specific point and other highly metagamey work-arounds like that... why not just save yourself the time and console in some experience? To me it is functionally the same thing.

You cannot have that low level without importing from bg1, I suggest you just edit

Even if I importe from bg1, BG2 seems to force me to get all the levels up in one batch. I can not just take the level 2, dual, and then get the other levels... :(
    Moonheart said:

Even if I importe from bg1, BG2 seems to force me to get all the levels up in one batch. I can not just take the level 2, dual, and then get the other levels... :(
    You have to level up from bg1, or else ee keeper is yout best bet
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Seriously. Just scribe scrolls. If you also use BG2Tweaks Dungeon Be Gone you can bypass Chataeu Irenicus and get the lump of XP at the end as well.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Moonheart said:

Don't dual at low levels if you're not playing BG1. If you start with BG2, do not dual before lvl 7. As a fighter, your best level to dual is 9. As mage, cleric, or thief, it varies; but it's definitely not lower than 7.
    @Moonheart That's the easiest dual. Just steal or buy all the scrolls you can before dualing and you're set.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    edited March 2016
    Moonheart said:

lol @FinnTheHuman

First you start as a Thief LVL 8 With a Fresh BG2 Character (always at 89k xp no matter what class)
    the only way to make lower Dualclass Combinations is Starting one up in BG1, leveling him up with EE KEEPER to the spot you want and then dualing and then finally exporting him to BG 2, or you just actually play him and do the same.

Secondly a Shadowdancer on this Low Level would be Sorta Rubbish, you just don't have enough skill Points for Sneaking (don't forget that in broad daylight your sneaking gets even halved)
    thus making his hide in Plain sight Useless and Unreliable his backstab is also lower by1x and not even worth the effort to micromanage him into position.
    and the Gear that adds stealth ability's could be better be replaced with mage Enhancing gear.

my Personal Recommendation is , get a Swashbuckler 6 then Dual to mage , you get some Extra Hitpoints, the Thief Weapon selection, the Full Lockpicking/Find Trap to 100 free 2Armor and +1Hit/DMG Values.
    You wont have Back stab (at this low levels of thief no loss) and your Sneaking also wont work but the lvl 2 Spell invisibility is the "Better" sneaking. to scout ahead get an overview of the map and monsters etc.
    (just make sure your Autocombat Scripts are off or you might get ...problems.)

Another Great combo if you don't have EEKeeper and don't wanna mess around With BG1 creating importing and the whole fishy business is a lvl 9/10 Assassin and then Dual to mage.
    assassin has slower skillpoint progression then other thief s so with 9 you just hit those sweet 100 lockpick/findtrap, you get 1hit/dmg , 3 x Poison weapon a Rest, (which works with melfs Minute meteorite 5 attacks per round and makes you a mage/cleric KILLER)
    you be lvl 9/10 by leaving the first dungeon so that's no trouble, once out use your looted thief Potions to crank up that Pickpocket temporarily to steal even more of these potions and snowball , being able to carry out all of ribald's shop you want (including a shitload of spells) making you almost get those duallevels back before even leaving the promenade with scribe scrolls.
    also you can still backstab with Invisibility by a x4 back stab bonus (normal thief maximum is 5. and assassins get x7 very late so you got a good cut there)

have fun in the Shadows !
    That's not the Hide In Plain sight that I wish to use, but more the Shadow Step one.
    Having Find Trap is just a bonus to this.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    edited March 2016
    Moonheart said:

That's not the Hide In Plain sight that I wish to use, but more the Shadow Step one.
    Having Find Trap is just a bonus to this.

as a mage you get Minor spell sequencer , allowing you 2 spells of lvl 1or2 just slab invisibility and Mirror Image in that one and you have your Free Instant Escape with extra layer of protection. where you can walk around 24 Hours in battle and cancel any fight that turns sour and its not limited by day.

the Swashbuckler and Assassin Bonuses are way More Impressive then walking 7 second around being unable to do squat :I
    Post edited by DevardKrown on
    edited March 2016
    @DevardKrown, the problem with invisibility is that it doesn't work anymore as soon an opponent casted True Sight. And 80% of the spellcasters of this game use this spell.
    I need something more reliable than this for the challenge I would like to take on.
    Moonheart said:

@DevardKrown, the problem with invisibility is that it doesn't work anymore as soon an opponent casted True Sight. And 80% of the spellcasters of this game use this spell.
    I need something more reliable than this for the challenge I would like to take on.

Cloak of Non-Detection: Whispers of Silence
    Reportedly created for a lineage of the greatest burglars ever to walk the night, this cloak was apparently a success. No record exists of previous owners.

STATISTICS:

Equipped abilities:
    – While hidden or invisible, the wearer is non-detectable by magical means such as Detect Invisibility and scrying

Weight: 3
    Does it counter True Sight?
    If it does, is there a way to have it as soon you get out of Irennicus dungeon?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Moonheart: Only with Spell Revisions installed does non-detection block True Sight outright. Normally, non-detection only protects you from being revealed if you're hiding in shadows or have the Staff of the Magi. Other forms of invisibility will get dispelled.
    So it doesn't solve my problems at all, because there is no mod on android
    edited March 2016
    It does.

I just have SCS, Tactics, Ascension and some minor mods.

My Sorcerer with SotM and the cloak can't be reveled by either Detect Illusion, Oracle or True Sight.

But maybe this has to do with the "illusion" flag.
    Not sure I can rely on it for what I have in mind... I need that escape tool rather early in the game.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    My cowardly "escape tool" is to do what the assassins/thieves do in Maer Valis's (or whatever his name is) guildhall, namely: chug potion of invisibility, attack, chug potion of invisibility. Only in my Assassin/Mage's case I replace potions with spells - wearing the Robe of Vecna you attack from Invisible and then re-cast Invisibility while your opponent is attacking you, and even if you 'disappear' right in front of him his attack will stop and you can just walk away. It's even easier if you cast Haste on yourself first because then you can run away out of eyesight before re-casting Invisibility so that the victim doesn't get a chance to hit you mid cast.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    It is your call to make but I'd say this dual is weak, at least if you dual at such a low level
    I made a solo Shadowdancer=>Mage playthrough, I dualled at level 9 into a mage.
    What's good with with level 9 (110 000 exp for a thief) is that it is roughly what you reach when you end Chateau Irenicus, just before Imoen is taken which means you can dual just before the end of Chateau Irenicus and get that bunch of quest exp straight after.
    What's also good is that you get decent Hide/Move silently skills (120 each if you put your points in these only) which will be enough most of the time (When it's not just shadowstep) and *3 backstab multiplier (Which provides you with a good damage per round should you run out of spells).
    It takes 250 000 exp to get your abilities back but if you learn scrolls (I do not mean learning/erasing/learning..., just learning once) you should get your abilities (or at least a decent enough mage level) soon enough.
    You do not lose any mage level in the end either (reaching level 31 as a mage at 7,875,000).
    I really believe that dualling a shadowdancer at level 9 is optimal here.
    edited March 2016
    For your goals, which is to have the most powerful character at the end of the game, it's optimal, yes.
    For my goals, it is not.

For my goal, what is optimal is what nets me the shortest amount of time where Shadowstep is desactivated. And with SD9=>Mage, it is desactived 6 times longer that with SD5=>Mage

My problem is: is there a way to dual at 5 without playing BG1 or cheating ?
    I hate that systems that makes that if you have too much xp, you're forced to get all the levels up at once... if only I could get them one by one without cheating or playing most of the BG1 content just for that
    edited March 2016
    Moonheart said:

For my goal, what is optimal is what nets me the shortest amount of time where Shadowstep is desactivated. And with SD9=>Mage, it is desactived 6 times longer that with SD5=>Mage

6 times longer? No way. How did you come up with that? Have you played a dual before? Mage 10 you can do right after exiting the starting dungeon.
    Moonheart said:

My problem is: is there a way to dual at 5 without playing BG1 or cheating ?

Depends on what you consider cheating. I would create a level 1 char in BG, use the console to level up.