Skip to content

[opinion] [spoiler]Hardest battle in BG2?

2»

Comments

• sansserifsansserif Member Posts: 125
    Raduziel said:

Slave Compound (specially with improved demons - you'll be overwhelmed in a hearbeat)

All the beholders from the Unseeing Eye (I don't use Shield of Balduran or the Cloak of Mirroring)

Do you mean the Guarded Compound?
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    For some reason, I don't find Draconis too hard, but maybe that's because I normally go into that fight with a Mage that has HLAs. But for me, the hardest battle is probably the second battle with Amelyssan. I have no idea why, but that one is harder than all the other battles with her.
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Beholders can be nasty for evil parties with no holy smite
    abazigal5 said:

For some reason, I don't find Draconis too hard, but maybe that's because I normally go into that fight with a Mage that has HLAs. But for me, the hardest battle is probably the second battle with Amelyssan. I have no idea why, but that one is harder than all the other battles with her.

Hmm, I felt in a version of unmodded BG2EE, Draconis didn't prove much of a threat. My party didn't even need to spell-buff much (I usually go in with a resist fear and my Sorc with a Stoneskin). Abazigal was much harder tbh, but he doesn't retreat and get stronger like Melissan.

For the battle with Melissan, I agree that the second battle is the hardest but once you have >2 pools, the battles gets easier. The last is generally the easiest, probably because you have cut off all her "power sources". I've seen people cheese it up with traps though, since she always appears at the same spot. What actually makes the battle hard is how the Throne of Blood plane keeps you from resting, and in my case, Wish Resting never recovered 100% of my spells (not sure if that was a bug or it's like that in BG2EE, I particularly depended on Horrid Wilting and I exhausted it in the second and third battles, luckily I recovered some scrolls). But well, Melissan is an end-boss and she has to be the hardest of them all :smile:
  • MoonheartMoonheart Member Posts: 520
    edited March 2016

No it is not. Evil parties have just to put the Shield of Balduran on their strongest melee character and send that one solo them all.
    edited March 2016
    Moonheart said:

No it is not. Evil parties have just to put the Shield of Balduran on their strongest melee character and send that one solo them all.
    True, that was how I cleared my last playthrough as a neutral PC with evil party members (it's my first BG2EE playthrough)
    Moonheart said:

It assumes you do not use cheese of shield or cloak of course
    There are worst cheese that the Shield of Balduran that I'm pretty sure you use all. Like GWW or Time Stop.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    sansserif said:

Raduziel said:

Slave Compound (specially with improved demons - you'll be overwhelmed in a hearbeat)

All the beholders from the Unseeing Eye (I don't use Shield of Balduran or the Cloak of Mirroring)

Do you mean the Guarded Compound?
    @sansserif Yes.
    Moonheart wrote: »
    There are worst cheese that the Shield of Balduran that I'm pretty sure you use all. Like GWW or Time Stop.

Chain Contingency could apply too.
    I recall, in vanilla BG2, I never did use Time Stop or Contingency, but there was this Fake-Talk exploit.... or even Cloudkill exploit to kill dragons.
    Yes, that's why pretending to not use cheese by not using the Shield of Balduran, which only works against Beholders, when you can crush 99% of the opponents with other things, seems a bit ironic to me.
    Naturaly, everyone plays as he want to... but if I would pretend to not use cheese, I'll keep the Shield of Balduran and forbid myself to play a Mage
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I hadn't that Shield during my last game, and I just sent an army of Skeleton Warrior, with some fireballs, and "blabla of Abi Dalzim" or something like that.
    Seldar wrote: »
    I hadn't that Shield during my last game, and I just sent an army of Skeleton Warrior, with some fireballs, and "blabla of Abi Dalzim" or something like that.

well, the Horrid Wilting spell won't be available for a low-level party I suppose..
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Yeah, I'll keep using the shield until someone comes up with a reliable, non-cheezy way to beat beholders, thanks. I haven't seen one yet, so I figure I might as well go with the shield.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    Jarrakul said:
    Yeah, I'll keep using the shield until someone comes up with a reliable, non-cheezy way to beat beholders, thanks. I haven't seen one yet, so I figure I might as well go with the shield.
    It's all in your definition of cheese I suppose.  They're actually not that hard to deal with using a stealthed character to scout and guide in fireballs or other area damage.  It takes a little while, but it's perfectly possible to clear the Unseeing Eye area like that even against SCS AI.
    > @Jarrakul said:
    > Yeah, I'll keep using the shield until someone comes up with a reliable, non-cheezy way to beat beholders, thanks. I haven't seen one yet, so I figure I might as well go with the shield.

Does buff-haste-charge count as cheese?
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    > @Jarrakul said:
    > Yeah, I'll keep using the shield until someone comes up with a reliable, non-cheezy way to beat beholders, thanks. I haven't seen one yet, so I figure I might as well go with the shield.

Does buff-haste-charge count as cheese?
    Shouldn't buffing be standard practice? I wasn't aware that was cheese.
    "Cheese" is a subjective thing. What is not cheese for you can be for another player.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Buff-haste-charge works about 70% of the time, in my experience. I would not describe that as reliable.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Jarrakul said:
    Buff-haste-charge works about 70% of the time, in my experience. I would not describe that as reliable.

It's pretty much the go-to for the unmodded game. You can literally right-click and go afk, then come back to find everything dead.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I don't feel bad for cheesing against beholders because they practically break the rules themselves by spamming their eye rays. If I don't use the shield, I just swarm them with hasted skeleton warriors. Neither tactic feels particularly satisfying.

The first tactic I always test on an enemy I don't have a strategy for is to send him a Mordenkanein's Sword. Any enemy unable to cast death spell or deal magic damage is dead meat in front of that summon.

Works very well against golems, fiends, and mind flayers. Don't know for Beholders.

The first tactic I always test on an enemy I don't have a strategy for is to send him a Mordenkanein's Sword. Any enemy unable to cast death spell or deal magic damage is dead meat in front of that summon.

Works very well against golems, fiends, and mind flayers. Don't know for Beholders.