Skip to content

Hull's Longsword

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
edited September 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I was just taking a walk around Candlekeep, and something dawned on me.

What would it take to have Hull equip his sword when you give it to him? It's really just a cosmetic thing, but it would be a nice small touch of detail. As the one guarding the gate, you'd think he would have his sword equipped, rather than just sitting in his inventory.

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    I usually kill Hull, take his armor, and sell his sword. I'm the spawn of the Lord of Murder after all.

"You goody-goodies make me sick!" -- Montaron
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    @HaHaCharade. He is pretty cheap in how much he gives you for fetching his sword. What is it like 5 gp. He deserves to get wacked.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    He gives you more if you have a high Charisma, but otherwise he's definitely pretty unkind about the whole thing.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    When you're having 16 CHA, he hates you. But having CHA 17 or more is making him ubelievably friendly.

I think that he should equip his sword. It's a small detail, but building good mood for a game consist of small details.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    elminster said:

@HaHaCharade. He is pretty cheap in how much he gives you for fetching his sword. What is it like 5 gp. He deserves to get wacked.

It's like 7!

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    The sword itself actually sells for 7, but if you have 18 charisma at least he will give you 20 for it.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    @Aosaw: none of the watchers actually have their swords out, they carry their quaterstaves, even though they carry a sword. Best to have non-lethal methods of conflict resolution to hand than to accidentally stab someone with a sword. Ultimately I think it would be a bit odd for a watcher to have his sword out.
    True, although there are two issues with that: A) their staffs still do lethal damage, and B) Hull isn't just a watcher; he's a gatekeeper. He needs to be ready to deal with real threats at a moment's notice, not spend a round switching his weapons.
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    Considering you never see him again, I fail to see the point.
    The point is more that it would be simple to do, and would be a nice touch of detail. You give the guy a sword, but if he doesn't equip it, it just feels like a fetch quest--which is what it is, really, but it shouldn't feel like one.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    edited September 2012
    @Aosaw Adding something like this may work:
    IF
    HasItem("Hull's Sword",Myself)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    Equip("Hull's Sword",Myself)
    END
    But I'm not sure. Can try when I get home.
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    That will likely get stuck in an infinite loop, @Balquo. Might be better to do it through dialogue where the handover takes place.
    @Miloch agreed... dialogue would work much better. I'll try that then when I get home :P
    Let us know how it goes, @Balquo! If it works, that would certainly open things up a little bit more.
    edited September 2012
    Got it sorted. Was actually quite tricky as the above did not work. Used "FillSlot(SLOT_WEAPON1)" in the end but while it was in the weapon slot it wasn't equiped so then used "EquipMostDamagingMelee()" and it works perfect.
    I quite like this feature - small things like this make all the difference. :)

@SethDavis If you wanna add this here is the code:

<<<<<<<< hull.d REPLACE_ACTION_TEXT hull ~TakePartyItem("SW1H12")~ ~TakePartyItem("SW1H12") FillSlot(SLOT_WEAPON1) EquipMostDamagingMelee()~ >>>>>>>> COMPILE ~hull.d~
    Post edited by Balquo on
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Aosaw said:

True, although there are two issues with that: A) their staffs still do lethal damage, and B) Hull isn't just a watcher; he's a gatekeeper. He needs to be ready to deal with real threats at a moment's notice, not spend a round switching his weapons.

That is, if someone is actually able to get past the 100% invulnerable Keeper of the Portal XD

Balquo said:

Got it sorted. Was actually quite tricky as the above did not work. Used "FillSlot(SLOT_WEAPON1)" in the end but while it was in the weapon slot it wasn't equiped so then used "EquipMostDamagingMelee()" and it works perfect.

You'll be a modder yet, Grasshopper... er, I mean @Balquo :P.

EquipItem() should work as well, at least I'm pretty sure it did in testing as we do the same thing in Aurora when you find her sword, i.e.:

TakePartyItem("agsw1h02")
    FillSlot(SLOT_WEAPON0)
    EquipItem("agsw1h02")
    @Miloch I tried using EquipItem() but it refuses to work. I've no idea why.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited September 2012
    Actually, Hull´s sword is rare weapon.
    It can´t be broken :D

I know what I'm doing in my next play-through.
    edited September 2012
    Balquo said:

@Miloch I tried using EquipItem() but it refuses to work. I've no idea why.

Buggy opcode or only works under certain conditions? Maybe @Avenger_teambg knows... he knows everything about opcodes :D.

Edit: an academic point though, as EquipMostDamagingMelee() makes sense, on the rare off-chance that some mod has given him a more powerful weapon than his own (normal) longsword.

Incidentally, sw1h12.itm is flagged as "breakable" in BG1, no different than sw1h04.itm (regular longsword). So only real difference should be the name.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Well... EquipItem is weird, but we have people like @ScottBrooks and @SethDavis who surely can beat it into submission. IIRC, EquipItem works only on items already in a weapon slot. So they will never move a weapon from a regular inventory slot to a weapon slot. But really, we have engine people here, lets ask them :)

IESDP says this: "This action instructs the active creature to equip the specified item. The item needs to be in one of the creatures quickslots."

Well, yeah, i said exactly that.
    Hmm, but after FillSlot() it should be in a quickslot, no, @Avenger_teambg?
    @Miloch Yes, it will be in what ever slot you tell it to go into. In this case it goes into SLOT_WEAPON1 as he has his staff in SLOT_WEAPON0, so in the unlikely event that his sword breaks he can reequip his staff.
    Miloch said:

Hmm, but after FillSlot() it should be in a quickslot, no, @Avenger_teambg?

To be honest, i consider FillSlot an even more messed up action. Why would it destroy the item in slot if it is already filled?
    @Avenger_teambg It doesn't destroy the item though. It just moves it to the inventory. At least that is what happens in Hull's case if I put the sword into SLOT_WEAPON0.
    edited September 2012
    @Balquo Hah, ok. Then IESDP is incorrect. Or BGEE is fixed? That is good news. Maybe the item went to the magic item slot in the old engine?
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    wait a minute... this isn't a bug thread!

"Well... I feel sheepish." - Genie. Fixed anyway :P
    @SethDavis - cool. Er, which is fixed, FillSlot() or EquipItem() or both? :) I could've sworn FillSlot() did indeed destroy existing items in the slots (and would've thought the IESDP folks tested that before making such a rash statement without verification).
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I think Avenger misunderstood--Balquo meant the item wasn't destroyed since it was being put into an empty slot. FillSlot() does, indeed, overwrite existing items when used, which is what I hope @SethDavis just fixed.