Skip to content

House DeVir

Greetings,

So couple weeks ago i started to read Drizzt's Novels, starting with Drizzt's Origin story.

The Question i have is House Do'Urden destroyed House DeVir on the birth of Drizzt, with only Alton DeVir the lone survivor who disguised himself as the Faceless Master.

How and where does Viccy come into this? She must of left the Underdark a long time ago, but from BG1 i get the impression she has not been on the surface long?

Anyone have a concept of a time frame? Like how old is Drizzt when he walks the Sword Coast and Viccy must be reaaally old?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    In BG2 she states that she had spent some time on the surface traveling with a human merchant. Since drow live longer and don't count time as we do, it could have been from a couple of years to a decade. Or at least long enough for her to learn surface language.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    In the fanfic "Aegis of Candlekeep" it states that she was hiding in the Underdark on her own for over a hundred years.
    It goes some way to explaining why she behaves as she does, mistrustful, unable to communicate without being hostile, ect.

Just like to add that it is a wonderful story of BG, the writer gets the characters spot on. Backstories that fit and believable reasons for how they appear and behave in the game. The interactions between the various NPC's are detailed and believable, the story lives.

I really can't recommend it highly enough.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    edited March 2016
    Cal_El wrote: »
    Greetings,

So couple weeks ago i started to read Drizzt's Novels, starting with Drizzt's Origin story.

The Question i have is House Do'Urden destroyed House DeVir on the birth of Drizzt, with only Alton DeVir the lone survivor who disguised himself as the Faceless Master.

How and where does Viccy come into this? She must of left the Underdark a long time ago, but from BG1 i get the impression she has not been on the surface long?

Anyone have a concept of a time frame? Like how old is Drizzt when he walks the Sword Coast and Viccy must be reaaally old?

Her exile happened years or decades before Drizzt's birth, which is in the year 1297 DR, which would mean Viccy is decades older than Drizzt, and she did not witness the fall of her family, she was exiled with the knowledge that sooner or later it will happen. There is no evidence in the Drizzt novels or the BG2 game to prove this, but it is the only logical explanation that I can come up with. On top of that, her brother Valas killed her mother, which resulted in him becoming a drider, and since Viconia's mother is dead and she escaped, that leaves only Ginafae, who was the matron mother of House Devir in the Drizzt origin story "Homeland" and likely one of Viconia's sisters to take the role as Matron Mother and rebuild the DeVir family from the ground up, with Alton being one of her children. While writing my BG2 SoA fan fiction, I tried coming up with ways of tying in Viconia's exile with the fall of her House in the Homeland novel because there are a few plot holes in Viccy's exile story that don't make it fit into the story of House DeVir's fall easily at first.

For example, in one of her romance chats with you about the similarity and differences of drow families and surfacer families, she reveals that she used to have 14 sisters. One she killed for infidelity with her 3rd husband, and the others died young or by Viconia's own hand for unexplained reasons. I then noticed the problem that she doesn't say how many of her sisters are dead. If all her sisters are dead, then there would be no one to take over as Matron Mother after Viconia's exile, the House would be in serious disarray and fall apart long before the year of Drizzt's birth, so it is necessary to assume that at least one of her sisters, Ginafae, to be exact, survived to become the new Matron Mother of House DeVir.

And as for her time in the surface, she would need to survive on the surface world on her own for several years until meeting that Calishite merchant and staying with him for a few decades learning how to speak Common from him and giving him "pleasure" when he wanted it until he grew old in 1368 DR and his heart gives out, and his guards believing Viconia killed him and sent a Flaming Fist mercenary after her, which results in Viconia meeting Charname.
    Post edited by BladeDancer on
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Never trust anything a drow woman tells you. Doubly so if it's while you're romantically involved.

Very possibly Viconia conveniently omitted some details of her own personal history, that could account for the plot holes. Even at the very end of ToB, at the very end of the romance with CHARNAME, she keeps defenses up. Unlikely we'll ever know everything that happened.
    Shandyr wrote: »
    Maybe Viconia appears in the Baldur's Gate novels, then she would be canon, does anyone know?

She is not in the novels, trust me, I've read them. But it appears these days Wizards of The Coast will allow anything from the games to be canon if they don't contradict anything from FR novels or sourcebooks.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    The real problem is Salvatore's not that gifted an author
  • Cal_ElCal_El Member Posts: 56
    Some insightful replies!

Im sure Drizzt in BG says he is on his way to Icewind Dale, when you meet him fighting the Gnolls. I am nearly on the 3rd book where i believe he finally leaves the Underdark, and as the next novels are the Icewind Dale Trilogy, I assume Drizzt had just left the underdark and started his travels north?

Also, in terms of Menzoberranzan, where is that in terms of location? As it seems like Underdark areas are not all connected? Or is that just the limitation of the games I am thinking of? (BG, IWD2)
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    @Cal_El
    As for your first question, warning! Spoilers ahead.
    By the time we meet Drizzt in the game, he has already traveled to the North, befriended Bruenor and reclaimed Mithral Hall. Lore-wise, these events all take place before 1368. Additionally, he couldn't have had the two scimitars Twinkle and Icingdeath with him had you met him if he had *just* left the underdark for the following reason:
    He finds Icingdeath in the horde of a white dragon he and Wulfgar defeated at the end of the IceWind Dale trilogy; he was gifted Twinkle by Malchor Harpell IIRC

So when you find him fighting gnolls he was probably on an adventure on his own and was on his way back to the North.

As for your second question, here's a link to a detailed map of the Underdark superimposed to a map of Faerun http://40.media.tumblr.com/20250b4f7baf1d6de222ec5bd5ffe4e8/tumblr_inline_o4fyme877x1tqzb4f_1280.jpg
    Reference: WotC Underdark (2003): pages 124 & 125.
    As you can see, Menzoberranzan is located in the top left, just north of the Evermoor, practically below Mithral Hall: http://www.giantbomb.com/images/1300-1428980
    edited April 2016
    Cal_El wrote: »
    Some insightful replies!

Im sure Drizzt in BG says he is on his way to Icewind Dale, when you meet him fighting the Gnolls. I am nearly on the 3rd book where i believe he finally leaves the Underdark, and as the next novels are the Icewind Dale Trilogy, I assume Drizzt had just left the underdark and started his travels north?

Also, in terms of Menzoberranzan, where is that in terms of location? As it seems like Underdark areas are not all connected? Or is that just the limitation of the games I am thinking of? (BG, IWD2)

He really did say that he is on his way to Icewind Dale, but the third book of his origins that you're referring to called "Sojourn" takes place in 1347 DR, 21 years before the events of the Baldur's Gate game. However, Sea of Swords is the only Drizzt book that takes place very close to the years the BG games are set in, being set after BG:EE and during BG2:EE, and in the synopsis of that book, Drizzt says in the beginning:

"It is good to be home. It is good to hear the wind of Icewind Dale, to feel its invigorating bite, like some reminder that I am alive."

This gives indication that he has finally reached Icewind Dale after a long journey, because the book begins in the year 1369 DR (the same year BG2 SoA begins in) and ends in 1370 DR, approximately one to two years after BG, and it is largely unknown of what Drizzt has been doing or where he has been in between The Silent Blade (which is set in the year 1364 DR) and Sea of Swords.

I forgot to mention Menzoberrenzan's location. Judging by its placement on the Underdark map, it is safe to say that Drizzt does not need to travel through Baldur's Gate's region of the Sword Coast to get to Icewind Dale, Menzoberrenzan is several miles east from Luskan, it seems, when you cross reference the Underdark map with the surface world map.
    Post edited by BladeDancer on
    Jarrakul wrote: »
    Tresset wrote: »
    Hmm... I can't help but notice a certain conversation upstairs in the UstNatha tavern.

*snip*

Oddly, Viconia has no interjections to any of this if she is in the party.

I mean, if I were a mostly-amoral opportunist in that situation, I'd keep my mouth shut too.

Indeed, the Devir's themselves wanted Viconia's head on a plate.
  • Cal_ElCal_El Member Posts: 56
    Hmm... I can't help but notice a certain conversation upstairs in the UstNatha tavern.

*snip*

I mean, if I were a mostly-amoral opportunist in that situation, I'd keep my mouth shut too.

Indeed, it seems wise for Viconia to not say anything, however for immersion's sake, when out of the Underdark that situation could of been discussed?
  • SirdentSirdent Member Posts: 45
    Well that is disappointing, can we get a cleric of Lloth? Though I wonder if Lloth would still send a priestess and curse a drow that is not her follower?
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Sirdent said:

Well that is disappointing, can we get a cleric of Lloth? Though I wonder if Lloth would still send a priestess and curse a drow that is not her follower?

Lolth is a jealous goddess, but she's not beyond cooperation if it suits her needs. You might argue that one of her clerics forging a bond with a potential new deity could be advantageous to her. It's not like she would be threatened by a nascent power, and having a foot in that power's inner circle from the very start could prove quite useful down the road.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    My own theory is that Viconia fled Menzoberranzan before her House fell, perhaps because of something related with his brother, the one turned into a drider. Perhaps that made her think about the "Loths ways" and reject them. Of course, that meant she had to flee or risk a horrible death if she was discovered. It was then when she discovered Shar (well, most probably, the other way around). I think everything, both novels and what you are told in the game by Viconia, fits with this theory.
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    Wasn't mentioned in the books that House DeVir became weak because they lost Lolth's favor due to a priestess leaving the house? Thought it's because of that weakness that House Do'Urden destroy House DeVir.
    Sirdent said:

From everything I've read so far Lolth does not encourage any drow to work with other races ,she is a selfish , greedy goddess who's always hungry for sacrifices and slavery. Any sort of alliance would only happen if the supposed "ally" were to be betrayed later.
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    edited April 2016
    To keep on with my theory, House DeVir fell of Loths favour, and that lead to the DoUrden attack, but they lost favour because Matron Ginafae chose to embarras another drow family using a failed attack to a snvirfneblin patrol. That didnt pleased Lolth, who took her favour away. So, Viconias fleeing should have happened BEFORE DeVir House lost Lolths favour. That basically means Viconia is at least 20 years older than Drizzt.

Ps. The reason for House DeVir lose of favour is taken from the Homeland trilogy. I have started reading it.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2016
    DJKajuru said:

*snip*

Indeed, the Devir's themselves wanted Viconia's head on a plate.

I would think that as probably the only surviving noble from House DeVir at that point, that Viconia would be the only chance at legitimacy that those captive drow have left. With Viconia they could theoretically rebuild House DeVir by using her as their matron mother. It would take centuries of course and they might never be as powerful as they once were, but it would be infinitely better than what they have now as captive refugees. Serving Viconia would be the only thing that they could do in drow culture that would make any sense or be socially acceptable.

I really hope that there either is or that someone at some point makes a mod where it is possible to do something about this because I really thought that there should be some way for Viconia to acknowledge/rescue them in the game. It seems incomplete without having at least the possibility for some kind of a solution.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    @ARKdeEREH - resurrecting a thread more than six months dead is a necromantic coup of which the drow would be proud.

Those DeVir survivors in Ust Natha Tavern would stand no chance of rebuilding House DeVir with Viconia as Matron. Viconia is a fugitive heretic, and Lolth would immediately order every other drow House everywhere to exterminate them if they tried to set her up as a Matron. They'd instantly go from "lost the favour of Lolth" to "hated enemies of Lolth", and there's no way that's a "socially acceptable" status in drow culture. Followers of any god other than Lolth survive in drow society only by secrecy and subterfuge (like Solaufein), not by existing openly as a House.

No, apart from a handful of scattered refugees, House DeVir is gone and there's no way back.

It makes perfect sense for Viconia not to break cover by acknowledging her relatives, and of course they don't recognise her because the whole party (including Viconia) is disguised as a missing Ched Nasadian group, but I do agree that it would've made sense for Viconia to comment on the matter later, privately, away from the other drow.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531

Those DeVir survivors in Ust Natha Tavern would stand no chance of rebuilding House DeVir with Viconia as Matron. Viconia is a fugitive heretic, and Lolth would immediately order every other drow House everywhere to exterminate them if they tried to set her up as a Matron.

I was thinking more in terms of them doing so somewhere in exile and then eventually, hundreds of years later when some of them might still be alive due to drow life spans, making some sort of attempt at reemerging into drow society since they would by then have somewhat recovered their numbers. There are other gods that are worshiped by the drow besides Lolth. Their worshipers tend to be persecuted by Lolth's followers and have a hard time getting traction, but they do exist and have a presence in drow cities. Viconia's connection to Shar could be similar to them, or it could potentially be more complicated due the whole Bhaalspawn thing.

I was thinking that as the game is right now those prisoners in Ust Natha are probably going to be executed or at best be enslaved in very unpleasant circumstances for the rest of their lives. One of them actually asks to be rescued when spoken to. I think it would make sense if that were somehow possible. Otherwise the suggestion seems rather pointless. Maybe charname could resettle them somewhere, it wouldn't even have to be in the Underdark.

resurrecting a thread more than six months dead is a necromantic coup of which the drow would be proud.

I found this thread because I was looking for information about whether there had been any changes made to the quest between when I played in non-enhanced BG2 and the Enhanced Edition, or if any of the Big World Project mods that I recently installed might contain a change involving this plot. It's been so long since I played original BG2 that I can't remember if the drow in the cage suggests being rescued. I didn't think so, which gave me hope that maybe it had been changed, but from reading this thread and others that doesn't seem to be the case.

@ARKdeEREH , I understand that you've given an interesting idea, but I don't really think it's really plausible because
    1- Viconia doesn't care about her family, I mean, for roleplaying reasons she wouldn't feel empathy for them, and she drow have no such family ties.
    2-They are all evil backstabbers and their request for salvation was a desperate act, they might even kill Vicky to regain Lolth's favor.
    3- That would endanger the whole party, and Viconia cares about survival more than any other party member.

The only reason I see it as a possibility would be if Vicky felt she could convert them to Shar, but that would have to be a much more complex mod, I guess. Nevertheless, she was indeed on character when she did nothing to save the other Devir's.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    While I agree that it's in character for Viconia to not help the survivors from her house, I think *some* sort of comment would've been good. I remember the first time I played an evil party all the way to there and sat with such expectations as I waited for Viconia to react to the others in some way. Even a "they were fools and get what they deserve!" comment would've felt worth it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Empyrial said:

While I agree that it's in character for Viconia to not help the survivors from her house, I think *some* sort of comment would've been good. I remember the first time I played an evil party all the way to there and sat with such expectations as I waited for Viconia to react to the others in some way. Even a "they were fools and get what they deserve!" comment would've felt worth it.

That feels sadistic though. Viconia always struck as more of a pragmatic survivalist.
  • EmpyrialEmpyrial Member Posts: 107
    ThacoBell said:

Empyrial said:

That feels sadistic though. Viconia always struck as more of a pragmatic survivalist.
    She wouldn't be revelling in their pain so much as sort of toasting her own survival. It would help validate her decision to leave her house and faith behind.