Skip to content

Shadowkeeper Support

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited August 2012
    I want to know the answer to this too. I don't like to do a lot of "cheating" with Shadowkeeper or change everything around so much the game is unrecognizable. But I do like to make minor changes to make some things less annoying. Like tweaking alignments or reputation, or to take back a mistake in skill assignment or spell learned, or to switch an avatar to something of my liking, or get rid of an unwanted rule (Why in the world can't a human multi-class if he wants to? I usuallly just start a half-elf and then change the avatar and the race to human in SK. Why not a halfling paladin? etc.)

I'll play BG:EE at least once just to experience it, and I already pre-ordered it, but if I can't use Shadowkeeper, I may wind up going back to my Gog.com install for future runs.
  • Jedi_GnomeJedi_Gnome Member Posts: 92
    I really would like to see something like Shadowkeeper incorporated in BG:EE. If not, I hope Shadowkeeper works with it. I want to use it for custom portraits for my character and the NPC's.
  • raclariuraclariu Member Posts: 56
    Shadowkeeper for single player only, shouldn't be used for multiplayer. Then i'll b ok with it.
  • HeasHeas Member Posts: 54
    Well... So I was trying to look for Aaron's email online, No where to be found... Anyone has any ideas?
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    @Cuv what's DLTCEP and NI?
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @Flauschig Easier to just throw in the descriptions and links:)
    DLTCEP
    The DragonLance Total Conversion Editor Pro ( DLTCEP ) is an unofficial game file editor/checker/browser for Infinity Engine games. Data file updates and technical support are available in the forum.
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/tools/dltcep.php

Near Infinity (NI)
    Near Infinity is a combined browser and editor for games based on BioWare's Infinity Engine.
    It supports both Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale 1 & 2 and Planescape: Torment as well as the official expansion packs. Limited support for Neverwinter Nights is also included. Here is a link to the latest build.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/nearinfinity/files/nearinfinity/NearInfinity-1.33b21.1/NearInfinity.jar/download

Both these tools are seeing renewed interest and support in the last few weeks! Both have new versions available that include many of the unknowns that have been revealed here.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2012
    Did anyone contact Shadowkeeper's author to see what he has to say?
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    @mlnevese
    I have tried to email him at sk@mud-master.com .. No response unfortunately
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    That`s bad... even if someone was going to maintain the code and update it, the author would have to release it in public domain or give express permission to someone...
  • HeasHeas Member Posts: 54
    edited August 2012
    "
    On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Aaron O'Neil wrote:
    Hi Yotam,

I probably won't be playing the enhanced edition. I don't know if the editors will still work. Guess it depends how much they change up in the game. They had a pretty elaborate file system, so I suppose they might keep it the same.

The source code to the editors is out there though, so somebody else might take up the task to update the editors if they don't work.

On 8/7/2012 7:12 AM, Yotam Levy wrote:
    Yay!, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition is coming soon!
    And seeing as I had so much fun with you're game editor last time.

I was wondering, If it would still work for the new Baldur's gate.

Also I was wondering if you're still awesome?
    ^_^
    Thanks for that great editor!"

Post edited by Heas on
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    No matter how good the game and code is cleaned up and things fixed and mods added....a good save game editor is ALWAYS something that should exist...in my opinion. I love to play through once or twice with the game unmodded and untinkered with, but later I like to go in and muck about and change things to my liking....like having a character that is 100% fireproof or has a particular spell...etc.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    lol it's been 15-ish years, i'm sure he's grown up, has a wife, kids, and a job, and no time.

but i don't see many good game editors like i used to for bg, fallout, diablo, etc. hmmmmm, here's hoping it'll still work.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Let's hope that someone takes it and updates it so that it works with BG:EE.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    If the save game file format was well documented, anyone with a programming background could write something like Shadowkeeper pretty easily. It's just a matter of reading/writing a binary format and doing a simple front-end on top of it. I suppose they haven't finalized it yet, but it'll be something to ask for later. After all they were very responsive about all the data file formats so far so there's good hope they'll also be for the saves.
  • jcomptonjcompton Member Posts: 157
    Worst-case scenario, although it's not quite as pretty and easy to use as the Keepers, Near Infinity (which is being updated to reflect BGEE changes) is capable of editing saved games. It's Java, so it's Windows/OSX cross-platform already.

DLTCEP also is theoretically capable of editing saved games, and is also being actively maintained to reflect BGEE changes. However, NI is a little more approachable for this particular purpose.
  • moe182moe182 Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2012
    Hi. Does anyone know, if GateKeeper/ShadowKeeper will work for BG:EE? Or does anyone know or has contact to the programmer of this great tools? Are there plans to update the tools for GB:EE???
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    I sure hope so. Or hopefully at least it's not too difficult to modify Shadowkeeper to work with BGEE.
  • HoboJoe0858HoboJoe0858 Member Posts: 36
    I assume it would still work, it is practically the same game and all.
  • DecrepitDragonDecrepitDragon Member Posts: 120
    I agree. I'd imagine that it would still work as long as the code for the stats and items and such remained constant. Even with the code overhaul, I dont imagine them changing the tags for every item.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Id say it won't work as they are running a slightly modified engine, who knows what format the save files will be in?

I'd imagine some minor tweaks will be needed to make it compatible with EE, and no doubt its authors are awaiting the release date to do just this.
    Im pretty sure I read somewhere that the saves would be in the same format or something.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

Im pretty sure I read somewhere that the saves would be in the same format or something.

Highly doubtful. You cannot import saves from vBG1 into BG:EE and vice versa. I'm fairly sure characters are also unable to be imported from one into the other.

There will need to be an new BGEEKeeper, the original writer has already sad that he doesn't intend to do it though.

Quoting a post on the FAQ in the general section "Existing saves will likely not be compatible at ship"
    Yeah that implies that it wont be compatible with Shadowkeeper, I was wrong.
    That kinda sucks that characters might be unable to be imported though, but I can live with that.
    Wait, so Shadowkeeper or Gatekeeper probably won't work? Ah, man, I use that to change portraits. Is there another way of changing portraits for your character and NPC's?
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    u can change ur CHARNAME portrait in game
    as for npcs, you have to find out their portraits' filename, then change and dump your custom portraits into override folder...
    @junk11 Thanks. Is Override a folder you create or is there one already there?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Jedi_Gnome It's already there, at least in my copy of The Original Saga.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2012
    I used to use custom portraits for my pc's, but I don't remember putting them in the override folder. I remember having to create a new folder and name it "Portraits", then put custom portraits into there.