Skip to content

Discuss all things Shaman

I am liking this new class.

I fiddled with it a bit in both BG and BG2 and I think it has a lot of tools to compliment a party without relying on non melee stats (Int, wis, Chr)
  • Detect Illusion allows your party thief to ignore this skill.
  • You no longer have to memorize spells like slow poison and cures for those just incase moments
  • Meta gaming allows you to have your spirits already summoned for meat shields during tough battles
  • Weapon choices are much better than druids. (Axes!)
  • Not needing a high spell casting stat (int/wis) makes them less squishy. Half-orcs in particular.
  • Their class specific spells are a nice touch (besides the freezing AoE one I haven't explored them fully)
Thoughts?

Comments

• PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    I've yet to try out 2.0, as I've been occupied with IWD in my limited downtime. However, I'm excited to hear about Shamans being able to use axes! Detect Illusions is quite useful as well.

Do Shamans gain bonus spells with high Wis like Druids and Clerics? Or is it a set progression like Sorcerers?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I'm overall liking the new class as well. Especially since this enables half-orcs to become divine casters other than deity worshipping clerics. The fact that they can wield axes is also a plus in my book.

Although, I do not agree about their alignment restriction and description. At all.
    Afaik no shaman kit, class, or prestige class in AD&D/D&D/Pathfinder ever was barred from choosing lawful or chaotic alignments. That's because shamans do not follow the druidic commandments of preventing the natural balance. Nor are they even part of some secret order, brotherhood, grove or whatnot. The only morale rules a shaman is bond to are the traditions of their tribe.

And needless to say, every tribe has different sets of traditions and their own world views. Think of animism, elementalism, spiritualism, ancestor worship, or the samsara for instance. All of which were included in D&D at one point or another. That's lots of vastly different playstyle possibilities for one class.

So, yeah, I'd much rather loved to see beamdog differentiating shamans from druids in that aspect. Instead of simply reutilizing the same motive (that of balance). We can modificate the class on our end, true. But different fluff and crunch would still be more welcome.

@Pteran No, shamans do not gain bonus spells from higher Wisdom. A shaman with 12 WIS would be just as good as a shaman with 18 WIS. Can't say I'm a fan of that, personally.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I love sorcerer (no idea if they did it first, but they did it first in BG, so there!) spell selection and casting. So shamans having that, just with the druid spells, is awesome. I can skip all the spells I'd never use anyway and cast the ones I do pick whenever I want. Yay!

Not being restricted by the druids' bizarre weapon/armour selection is also neat. The available proficiencies seem very appropriate.

It's one more option when it comes to making characters. More options is always good.

Lack of a prime stat bugs me a bit. I'd prefer shamans requiring a wisdom of say 12. Maybe charisma, alternatively. And naturally they should have some benefit from it. It doesn't keep me up at night though.

The fact that the class is open to half-orcs/elves is nice. Less options is bad and we have enough human-only classes.

Infinite summons? Woo! The particular mechanic seems a bit underwhelming with the character just standing there, but it does the job. I saw a suggestion about having the character at least use a spellcasting animation, though without the fx, on loop while "dancing" and I hope something like that gets implemented.

And while I haven't seen that many of them, I love that there's class spesific spells. The icey fog thing is pretty sweet.
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    From my (superficial) experience with the class, Shaman makes a good utility character, a very diverse buff machine. Though it doesn't quite fit the mighty role of CHARNAME, imo.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    From a powergaming perspective, Shamans are likely irrelevant. Druids were already not high up on the scale, and not being able to dual them only makes things worse. Summons should be fixed in LoB mode, too, now (I hope, can't test with LoB not currently working) so that's not a real argument for Shaman, either.

It just very much feels like they bring nothing to the table that other classes can't bring also, while retaining things like dualing flexibility.

Speaking strictly as a powergamer here, of course.
    edited April 2016
    - 19 strength from the start is good to have. Shaman is available only for a few races and from them Half-orc is by far the most beneficial one. I usually do not play half-orcs but in this case it's just too good to pass through.
    - Other stats (besides usual max STR, max DEX, non-warriors' CON) do not matter for the class efficiency, it's fine to dump them.
    - Detect Illusions is very handy.
    - As mentioned above, good weapon choice. Axes, spears, shortbows, oh my.
    - Medium THAC0 progression. (on par with clerics and druids, up to 6 THAC0 at 4.5kk xp)
    - At 89k xp you have 6/6/4 casts per day for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd levels respectively. You can choose from spellbook of 5/3/2 (and a few "preadded" ones). Later your spellbook will be 5/5/5/5/5/5/5, and you can actually reach it because you are benevolently rescued from the perils of multiclassing.
    - Because two first spell levels are usually not very useful, you'll have a lot of healing. And a lot of goodberries, if you have an AI script to manage them automatically :)
    - Diversity! Forgot to memorize that Cure Disease? Doesn't matter, you haven't to!
    - 1st-level "preadded" Shaman spell (Spell Ward) might be useful, kind of 2/5.
    - Writhing Fog (2nd level), AoE 1d3 cold damage per round + 20% Slow with save vs. Death is 2/5, useful at the beginning levels.
    - Spiritial Clarity (3rd level) is actually good, it removes fear/charm/confusion/feeblemind from a single target. 3/5 or maybe 4 for low levels, it can save your party from death and save you from exploiting metagame knowledge.
    - Spirit Fire (level 4) is somewhat useful, maybe 2/5 too. It is AoE 1d4 magic damage per level of the caster (up to 10d4). And there is debuff, 33% of inflicting Doom on enemies. Alas, save vs Spell halves the damage and negates Doom. Useful at low levels, no so much later. But double damage for spirit-like creatures, so it's still good.
    - Recall Spirit (level 5). Analogue of Raise Dead. Not very useful, to die is not stylish.
    - Spiritual Lock (level 6). Kind of Feeblemind against single target, huge time (1 turn + 1round/level), save vs. spell w. -2 penalty. May be useful, but level 6, there are things like Harm and Heal, 2/5 maybe
    - Ether Gate, 7th level. Analogue to Maze, 5 rounds, no save. Good, though touch range.
    - ... Summons. Just do nothing, stay there and produce more spiritual meat to overwhelm the enemy. Ve-ery lazy playstyle. Haven't tried it at higher levels though.
    - HLAs seem to be good. Some of cleric HLAs plus a few unique (and interesting) ones.
    Post edited by woowoovoodoo on
  • KoyoteKoyote Member Posts: 89

You rating Iron Skins, Insect Plague, Creeping Doom, and Natures Beauty not very high makes me question how good of a power gamer you are ;-). After toying with Druid for a while, they are easily the second best class behind anything mage or sorcerer for me. Being able to shut down the toughest fights with a single cast is incredibly powerful.

I've been messing around with Shaman on no reload runs. Here's a few things I've noticed:
    -I ended up casting Writhing Fog a lot more then I thought I would through BG1. Since it doesn't hurt the caster, I saw many a Benny Hill reenactments with an entire town of Xvarts.
    -Not being able to get 5th level spells in BG1 hurts...a lot.
    -Detect Illusions is awesome.
    -Shaman Dance is not. Its too slow acting to be of any use in a pinch, it effectively takes one of your spell casters out of the battle, you can't control anything, summons are mostly worthless, and it lends itself to meta play.
    -If you are going the half-orc STR19 route, just use throwing daggers instead of throwing axes. I don't understand why everyone is so excited about axes...
    -Shaman uses the same exact spell table as sorcerer with the 8th and 9th level spells lopped off. This is probably my biggest grip with the class. It leads to a weird situation where shaman gains almost nothing past level 18, and by max level, Druid and Cleric have more HLAs than Shaman and about 50% more spells per day. Would be fine if Shaman could multi-class, but they can't.

BG1: Most classes are better than shaman, but it doesn't lag far enough behind to not be fun.
    SoD: Don't know...haven't bought it yet.
    SoA: Shaman, over the course of a few levels, becomes very powerful. You have enough spells and casts per day to take advantage of spontaneous casting. Its fun and rewarding.
    ToB: Your character ceases all meaningful progression and you stop caring at all about leveling up.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    From a power gaming perspective, if you are going to run a divine caster you're probably going with a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. Dwarven Priest of Lathander is also quite strong.

If Druids are your thing, Totemic Druid is still by far the best choice. Avenger a close second.

Shaman's don't even come close - they're more about flavor. I may play one for that reason. But let's not delude ourselves into thinking they're anything special cause they aren't.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited April 2016
    Koyote said:

...I've been messing around with Shaman on no reload runs.

...SoD: Don't know...haven't bought it yet.
    How do know about the Shaman class if you haven't bought SoD? Did it come free with the update for everyone?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207

How do know about the Shaman class if you haven't bought SoD? Did it come free with the update for everyone?

It does indeed.
    edited April 2016
    Koyote said:

You rating Iron Skins, Insect Plague, Creeping Doom, and Natures Beauty not very high makes me question how good of a power gamer you are ;-). After toying with Druid for a while, they are easily the second best class behind anything mage or sorcerer for me. Being able to shut down the toughest fights with a single cast is incredibly powerful.
    SCS fixes several things here and there, particularly, Insect Plague, so it doesn't incredibly OP anymore. You can skip this part of SCS, of course, but it DOES make sense to install it for the same reason as, for example, in the case of Melf's Minute Meteors. Both are OP in the sense "Press a button to win", they make certain parts of mechanics obsolete. Vanilla MMM hit even through Mantle and vanilla Insect Plague... just cast it first and you're done. So these things are not quite compatible with powergaming because they make knowledge of the tactics not needed. And without SCS the game is not suitable for powergaming anyway :smiley: Though haven't tried just vanilla LoB yet.
  • alastair93alastair93 Member Posts: 117
    Koyote said:

ToB: Your character ceases all meaningful progression and you stop caring at all about leveling up.
    That's a real deal-breaker! I assumed the Shaman would have the same spell table as the sorcerer.

The summons don't seem strong enough to warrant this trade-off. I tried to use them in the first fight in Saradush and they (and my Shaman trial character) were annihilated by the basic guards next to Melissan.

Koyote said:

That's a real deal-breaker! I assumed the Shaman would have the same spell table as the sorcerer.
    That's not quite true. Sorcerer has 6 spellslots in all 9 spell levels at level 20. And 5/5/5/5/5/5/5/4/4 known spells at level 31. HLAs start from level 18. Shaman has 6 spellslots at level 17, 5/5/5/5/5/5/5 known spells at level 31 and HLAs at level 18. It's true that spellslots progression stops a bit earlier for Shaman, but the list of known spells still extends as level grows: on level 30 you still have a place to improve.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    I really like the class, but I'm taking a while to really get it's different abilities to work in sync. For instance, detect illusion is useful, but if I use it then all of my minions immediately unsummon. Axes are nice, but again they are mutually exclusive to using the main class ability. I've always had the same problem with bards - spell casting is good, but if you're casting spells then you aren't being a bard. I feel this is more of an issue for shamans though as turning their ability back on takes a long time to build up.

Hopefully in time I'll get more used to how to actually make them work.
  • marzbarzmarzbarz Member Posts: 187
    I still had no idea where to put stats when I was making the one shaman lol...
    So I just sat around till I got like 95 and then it didn't matter much at that point.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The summons are meat shields and distractions. I don't expect them to win a battle for me, just to keep enemies busy while a cleric gets chant off or mage can start debuffing.

And that is the thing, I personally wasn't looking for something more powerful, I was looking for something different that has its own playstyle. The shaman delivers on this.

Now if we can only dual class it into a bard so I can dance and sing my way to the Throne of Bhaal.
    Haha singing/dancing lord of murder. That works, summon beasts/buff them lol.
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    marzbarz said:

Haha singing/dancing lord of murder. That works, summon beasts/buff them lol.

But as soon as you start to buff, all the beasts disappear.
    They should bring some of the cold/fire type spells from IWD series to the table for their higher level stuff. Maybe some kid of spirit guardian that's controllable with abilities later on too instead of the randoms you cant control, I think they may add a bit more or something, I think they should go up to 8 or 9th level spells that are divine kinda. I like the extra damage to spirits etc, but I find its not a huge bonus against anything else. I do like the idea of a bow/caster so im going with that mostly and will see if spirits are worth anything.
    As fate would have it, my no-reload Beserker/Druid just died an hour ago while stepping on a lightning trap underneath Candlekeep.

I'm bored of mages, and don't like basic fighting classes, so Shaman seems like my next no-reload challenge.

How does a Shaman's level 6 and 7 spells compare to a Druid's with Wisdom buffs (3 from tomes, etc.)? Do they get a similar number of castings?
    Im still trying to figure out what stats even do for us other than what type of weapon we want to use. Str for thrown/dex for bow. But seriously sitting here with a half diced shaman with 92 pts but no idea where to put em/if theyre even worth it.
  • Tad_Has_A_Cold_OliveTad_Has_A_Cold_Olive Member Posts: 183
    Shaman + Skald seems like a potent combination.
    edited April 2016
    marzbarz said:

Im still trying to figure out what stats even do for us other than what type of weapon we want to use. Str for thrown/dex for bow. But seriously sitting here with a half diced shaman with 92 pts but no idea where to put em/if theyre even worth it.

It doesn't really matter, just take high DEX for good armor class and STR just for the case.

How does a Shaman's level 6 and 7 spells compare to a Druid's with Wisdom buffs (3 from tomes, etc.)? Do they get a similar number of castings?

7th level cleric with 21 WIS is 6/6/4/4 (3/3/2/1 + 3/3/2/3) I believe. And Shaman is 6/6/4 (that's right, w/o those 1+3).
    Ahh okay thanks for info
    Sorry I phrased that badly. I mean basically if you have a max level Shaman, and a max level Druid with max wisdom bonues, which one gets the most high-level spell castings?
    I see. Max for druid/cleric with max WIS is ...10/8 ( ...7/7 + ... 3/1) and for shaman it's still 6/6.
    Argh. That's annoying. I don't think I'll be able to play a Shaman in the role of a spellcaster knowing that a Druid would be a lot better :-/