Skip to content

[MOD] Dragonspear UI++ (v2.42)

Comments

• meowdogmeowdog Member Posts: 71
    @affablePeafowl
    The assets are included, you don't need SoD or BG2:EE.
    The campaign button is extra, not missing, it's for SoD and it doesn't work. It's not really a problem, you can just ignore it.
  • p6kockap6kocka Member Posts: 65
    Hello. It´s me again. I have found an odd problem with portraits like this:
    e4vd65pts2f4.png
    The portrait is blurry. And it isn´t only this one. How to fix it? It seems the mod uses small portraits and stretches them out.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited August 2021
    I must be blind, but what am I looking at to see the problem?

Ninja'd.

I had the same problem when I last played Siege of Dragonspear.

One way to fix it is to extract the large version of the portraits that show up blurry, rename it to M and L, and place those renamed portraits in the override folder. That way, all versions of the portrait will be 210x330 and won't get blurry.
    You have to open the picture in fulscreen. The portrait is simply blurry
    Got it; I posted before you described it :)

Try out my workaround. Bit manual but it works. Hopefully @meowdog can find a more systematic fix.

Note that I have not run into the same problem in the BG:EE portion of the game. Just SoD. Apparently the same is true in your case, @p6kocka ?
    I must be blind, but what am I looking at to see the problem?

Ninja'd.

I had the same problem when I last played Siege of Dragonspear.

One way to fix it is to extract the large version of the portraits that show up blurry, rename it to M and L, and place those renamed portraits in the override folder. That way, all versions of the portrait will be 210x330 and won't get blurry.

How to extract it? How to do it?
    Yeah...I haven´t seen such issue in the BGEE 1 aswell. Only now in BG SoD
    p6kocka wrote: »
    How to extract it? How to do it?

It’s very easy with Near Infinity. It’ll be under BMP, and it’ll be named after the character. There’s an option in there to extract it to a folder of your choosing.
  • FireballFodderFireballFodder Member Posts: 10
    This is an incredible mod, but does anyone know how to edit UI.MENU to make it compatible with the SCS Fine-Tune Difficulty Menu? I noticed another user mentioning having done that, but not HOW they had done it. It's not a big deal, obviously, but it would be nice to be able to do without extensive reinstalls.
    For me it is compatible with SCS Fine-Tune Difficulty Menu
    edited August 2021
    So I'm guessing I just have to install it before SCS and it'll work? Okay, that's a while to spend on reinstalling, but I'll try it. :expressionless: EDIT: So it works when you install the UI first, and no graphical errors either. Must've been fixed earlier and I didn't notice. Thanks!
    Post edited by FireballFodder on
    Try out my workaround. Bit manual but it works. Hopefully @meowdog can find a more systematic fix.
    Sure, I'll look into it.
    So I'm guessing I just have to install it before SCS and it'll work? Okay, that's a while to spend on reinstalling, but I'll try it. :expressionless: EDIT: So it works when you install the UI first, and no graphical errors either. Must've been fixed earlier and I didn't notice. Thanks!
    For people who don't want to reinstall in the correct order, SCS basically just adds one button which runs this command:
    C:Eval('CreateCreatureObject("dw#diffi",Player1,0,0,0)')

You can run it manually in the console:
    https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Console

@affablePeafowl
    The journal pop-ups and the title screen issues are fixed by copying stuff from "dragonspear_ui++/content-common/eet-bg2" to the override folder. When I did it, I was asked if I wanted to overwrite the existing files, I chose not to.
    The portraits are defined in "override/M_PORT.lua", you can remove the extra ones.
    Keep me posted on other issues, so I can eventually add BG1:EE compatibility.
  • affablePeafowlaffablePeafowl Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2021
    @meowdog — Worked like a charm, copying the assets into override also fixed the Options sub-menus, which had been transparent (I didn't even notice until now, ha). As far as I can see, the mod now works absolutely flawlessly with a lone BG1:EE install! I really appreciate all your help, and if I encounter any further issues I'll mention them here. Between the movement speed patch, a few re-bindings on the keyboard and—most of all—with DUI++, this feels like the definitive way to play BG1 on a modern system. The game feels like it hasn't aged a day. Thanks again, your hard work is most definitely appreciated.

Rather than leave up my wall of text, I'll summarize it for other noobs, so they don't have to follow my breadcrumbs of ignorance:

DUI++ now works with a standalone BG1:EE install with no immediately apparent issues, no SoD required. Extract the latest version of meowdog's fork (the contents of "DragonspearUI-master") into your BG1:EE install folder, run setup-dragonspear_ui++.exe and follow the prompts to install the components you want (listed in this thread's first post under "WeiDu components").

Title screen buttons displaying incorrectly, & Options sub-menus + journal pop-ups are transparent? Per meowdog's fix in the post above, copy the contents of "\dragonspear_ui++\content-common\eet-bg2" into the "override" folder located in the main BG1:EE folder, and don't overwrite files (when prompted, choose to Skip files with the same names). Problem solved! (edit: replace the GUIGEND1.BAM with the version meowdog has linked on 4 Aug a few posts ahead. This repairs the gender buttons in character creation, which will otherwise crash the game if you copy the assets into \override before making your character. Alternatively, make your character before copying the assets, or simply delete the existing GUIGEND1.BAM in the copied assets, though this isn't a preferred solution as it will prevent the game from rendering the buttons (you can still click and pick a gender).

Some of the new portraits are glitchy during character creation? Either don't click on them or, per meowdog's fix in the post above, open M_PORT.lua in the "override" folder (Notepad is fine if you have no other text editors). Delete the specific lines that call the offending portraits. E.g. in my case Voghiln and Glint's portraits were glitched, so I deleted the following two lines in M_PORT.lua:
    addPortrait('GLINT', 1)
    addPortrait('VOGHILN', 1)

Problem solved!
    Post edited by affablePeafowl on
    For SoD blurry portraits, going by memory the problem affected Coran, Corwin, and Hephernan. Here are the renamed L portraits for these three characters:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c399bmji36t4ts2/SoD blurfix.rar?dl=0

Placing these in the override should fix the problem.

If it doesn't, only thing to do is wait to see is meowdog can fix it on the mod's end.
    Thank you
    All right, this is an odd one.

I'm playing the BG:EE portion of a SoD installation, if that makes a difference.

Every time the world map is brought up to travel from an area to another, the map is scrolled all the way down so that only the bottom half is visible on the top half of the screen, and nothing underneath on the bottom half of the screen.

Weird and kind of annoying. Any idea how to fix this?
    This other one's been bugging me for a while.

If a dialog has more text than can fit in the dialog window (I'm using the classic-looking one at the bottom of the screen), trying to scroll down to finish reading the text makes it go all the way down to your list of available answers. It doesn't matter how carefully you try to scroll gradually. Problem is, once your dialog options are displayed, there's no scrolling back up again. The text is cut underneath your dialog options and you can never read the end of it.

Note that I'm using a slightly bigger font size than standard (I upped it a notch in the UI options.)
    @meowdog
    The game has started to crash again..for no apparent reason...
    This is the dump fole from crash...I am tired from the random crashes...
    Is there a way to alter the size/spacing of the portraits? They prevent clicking on area transitions through them, which is usually not a huge deal, but a bit annoying in some tight spots.
    edited August 2021
    One issue I did just notice with standalone BG1:EE: after copying the contents of \content-common\eet-bg2 into \override to fix the title screen graphics and transparent windows, I'm unable to create a new character. "New Game" takes me into character creation, but the game freezes & crashes as soon as I click the first step (Gender).

I reverted \override to its previous state (undid the copied assets) and the character creation tool worked again, so the problem definitely seems to be some of the copied assets. Very strange given that I didn't overwrite/replace any files, and the game should simply be pulling the gender selection pop-up & its tiles. So I'll leave the speculating to the coders! No clue what the offending assets could be, unless it's the window background texture conflicting with the gender select pop-up.

That said, the "random character" creator seems to work fine, as does importing characters. It's not a problem for me as I was already a few hours into the game, but the workaround is no problem: BG1:EE-only players will simply want to create their character before applying the fix. Alternatively, you can hit the "random character" button until you get a character of the gender you want, then hit the "back" button until you get to Race selection (the next option after Gender). This way you can get the gender you want while bypassing the actual gender selection pop-up, and otherwise go thru the choices and create your character as you normally would.
    Is there a way to alter the size/spacing of the portraits? They prevent clicking on area transitions through them, which is usually not a huge deal, but a bit annoying in some tight spots.

There's a toggle for large portraits in UI Settings, though my understanding is that it's meant to be enabled with an unscaled UI (since otherwise the portraits are tiny). Worth a try at least.

Alternatively, do you have the option to scroll out of bounds enabled (or disabled lol, I can't remember if it's written as "allow" or "prevent") in the regular Graphics menu? It should let you scroll far enough so that the portraits aren't an issue.
    p6kocka wrote: »
    This is the dump fole from crash...I am tired from the random crashes...
    I’m also gonna need the game exe file.
    Alternatively, do you have the option to scroll out of bounds enabled (or disabled lol, I can't remember if it's written as "allow" or "prevent") in the regular Graphics menu? It should let you scroll far enough so that the portraits aren't an issue.

Yeah, that does the trick. I'd disabled the option for immersion reasons and forgotten it existed, thanks.

@affablePeafowl
    Yeah, an incorrect asset can definitely cause a crash, I had this problem with BG2:EE. I used NearInfinity to export from SoD some missing backgrounds and chose the wrong format and the game didn't like it at all.
    Anyway, in this case the offending file is GUIGEND1.bam.
    @meowdog
    this is the exe file:
    edited August 2021
    @meowdog — Ah, interesting. I should've thought to look around in NI, I probably could've identified the file without troubling you. Thanks once again!

For anyone who might be interested (as with all my posts this applies only to people using the mod with BG1:EE alone, without SOD): deleting the file in the override folder that meowdog mentioned will let the game function normally, but the gender buttons will be missing (you'll just have to click where they'd be, it's not an issue). But I was interested in dipping my toe in the water, so to speak, so I dug around in NI for a while to find BG1's native GUIGEND1.BAM file, to see what would happen if I copied it to \override instead of just deleting the SOD one...
    jm7f62ppugmq.png

Not a perfect fix, to say the least :p It works, but they don't line up with the clickable areas (which I noticed is precisely 2x the size of BG1:EE's GUIGEND1.BAM file). So a bit more fiddling in NI, to export BG1:EE's .BAM as a bunch of .png files, and after re-sizing and re-importing:
    jk3wevbc5dvb.png
    ughfn9d4x8g1.png

Ta-da! It doesn't quite match the aesthetic (it would probably just be a simple matter of fiddling with the Hue & Saturation sliders, to make it a bit darker/grittier/more earthy) but it's a start, and now it works nicely and lines up with the clickbox.

If anyone out there is using this mod without the SoD assets, and wants this GUIGEND1.BAM, I'm happy to upload it (probably after I get it looking better and clashing less with DUI's aesthetic). Here's a link to an album with the raw .PNGs in case anyone wants to re-color them and feed them back into NI to make their own GUIGEND1.BAM.

(and a quick edit, just got to the Mines at the end of Ch. 2, still no other issues to report! Every time I load up the game I'm floored by how gorgeous the UI is.)
    Now it crashes every time I hit T for resting. Fuck.
    edited August 2021
    @p6kocka
    The crash dump you provided points to a webm related code:
    void __thiscall CResWebm::OpenDecoder(CResWebm *this)
        nestegg_init(context, io, /* log_callback */ null, /* max_offset */ -1);
        // crashes here, most likely because nestegg_init failed:
        nestegg_track_count(*context, tracks);

nestegg is a library for webm demuxing

It doesn't make sense to me, if it was an incorrect webm, the crashes wouldn't be random, you would get them every time in specific situations.
    Do you have more crash dumps? Might be helpful.

Edit:
    Maybe it's the night / day transition webm? At least it would explain apparent randomness as well as why it happens on rest.

@affablePeafowl
    I think it should be possible to use the native SoD BAM file, following the same procedure you did with PNGs.
    Post edited by meowdog on