Skip to content

User Ratings on Metacritic (*SPOILERS*)

Comments

• XartaXXartaX Member Posts: 33
    Dee said:

I've changed the title of this thread to more accurately describe its topic.

That being said, I'd like to remind everyone that this site has rules, and we expect you to follow them, no matter which side of the issue you're on. Keep the discussion civil.

...How does removing information from a sentence make it more accurate?
  • Baeloth_JnrBaeloth_Jnr Member Posts: 86
    Samy said:

...never kowtow to people demanding that every character in every game should be a white het male.

I think the issue is more around seeing gender discrimination where there is none (e.g. Safana, Jaheira) and implementing a transgender marionette just because the writers are SJWs and want to put their political spin on the game.
  • WalrusRiderWalrusRider Member Posts: 5
    When they changed the personalities of Safana and Jaheira, they should have expected this...
    edited April 2016
    Dee said:

XartaX said:

Dee said:

I've changed the title of this thread to more accurately describe its topic.

That being said, I'd like to remind everyone that this site has rules, and we expect you to follow them, no matter which side of the issue you're on. Keep the discussion civil.

...How does removing information from a sentence make it more accurate?
    The "3.4" part is inaccurate because the average user rating on Metacritic is always changing--and the topic seems to be less about the specific number, and more about the user ratings in general.
    Fair enough, but in that case it would make more sense to give it a name like "abysmal user ratings on metacritic". This is just giving me some serious street fighter forum control flashbacks.
    Samy said:

I was going to wait until this was on sale, but after seeing the bigots trying to sabotage the game I decided it needed my support, so I went ahead and paid full price. Hope this helps. All my best, and never kowtow to people demanding that every character in every game should be a white het male.

I'm not sure when anyone I'd ever agree with would say something like "all characters should be a white heterosexual male!". There are tons of characters that haven't gotten any backlash like this that doesn't fit into that archetype (for example a certain character in DAI). The issue isn't that the character is trans, and neither is it only about that character.
  • MadrictMadrict Member Posts: 141
    SoD is a brilliant game and I have been thoroughly enjoying it.

I cannot for the life of me understand the 0 ratings on Metacritic. Some people are moronic.

I don't believe any game deserves a 0 or a 10, and realistically I wanted to give SoD a solid 9, because I love it. SoD has a great story and many great features (especially the sprite outlines and graphical updates, love them).

Anyway I ended up giving SoD a 10 on Metacritic just to try and balance out the idiots giving it 0.

I sincerely hope those who are enjoying the game, make the effort to get on Metacritic and rate the game highly as well.

Beamdog did a great job and deserves better than this. I for one hope this stupid behaviour does not impact their sales negatively and we continue to see great content from them.
    edited April 2016
    it doesn't merit the absurd review-bombing and forum trolling that's going on.
    I quite agree, but unfortunately, that is the way these issues often pan out these days (and it happens on both sides of the political divide).
  • SamySamy Member Posts: 51

I think the issue is more around seeing gender discrimination where there is none (e.g. Safana, Jaheira) and implementing a transgender marionette just because the writers are SJWs and want to put their political spin on the game.

Heaven forbid a story should reflect its writers. Every writer should write perfectly antiseptic white het male characters only ever. If including characters that aren't white het males is "putting a political spin", then I welcome it.
    XartaX said:

I'm not sure when anyone I'd ever agree with would say something like "all characters should be a white heterosexual male!". There are tons of characters that haven't gotten any backlash like this that doesn't fit into that archetype (for example a certain character in DAI). The issue isn't that the character is trans, and neither is it only about that character.

Right, that's why the Youtube video is about killing the trans character. No hate there whatsoever.
  • OsigoldOsigold Member Posts: 117
    It really shouldn't impact their sales much. Anyone who looks at a review that talks about the SocJus themes and decides it mean the game is not for them would likely have not bought or would have returned the game anyway, and anyone who doesn't care about that will discount that element from the scores. It may have generated enough noise to work as free publicity and improve sales, which may have been Beamdog's intention behind starting the controversy in the first place.
    Samy said:

XartaX said:

Right, that's why the Youtube video is about killing the trans character. No hate there whatsoever.
    The youtube video? what?
    edited April 2016
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=__6nFM5GER8

Bigots killing Mizhena just for being trans. Makes me sick.
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Mizhena will always have a special place in my heart now. She was there when I was scrambling to find a way to resurrect Minsc and remembered she's also a Cleric. :)
    Samy said:

Yeah, that's not what's happening there. It's meant to be humourous, with the joke being that the developers' intention to include a trans character and have you be nice and accepting of them is being subverted. It's not a hatred of trans people, it's a dislike of the tickbox mentality that caused that character to be inserted there so clumsily.
    Yeah, that's why there are comments like "Killing a tranny and getting 2000xp for it while no one else seems to care? Now THIS is my kind of escapism."

Really humorous. What a joke. No hatred of trans people. None at all.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    Osigold said:

Samy said:

Yeah, that's not what's happening there. It's meant to be humourous, with the joke being that the developers' intention to include a trans character and have you be nice and accepting of them is being subverted. It's not a hatred of trans people, it's a dislike of the tickbox mentality that caused that character to be inserted there so clumsily.
    Sure it is.

If anything, I want this character to be expanded now. Maybe even joinable.
    edited April 2016
    Heaven forbid a story should reflect its writers. Every writer should write perfectly antiseptic white het male characters only ever. If including characters that aren't white het males is "putting a political spin", then I welcome it.
    What on earth are you talking about?

Safana and Jaheira are established characters. They should not be adapted to suit political causes - especially when the underlying reason for the change is not established (Safana was not just a sex object; Jaheria not just a complaining wife).

The TG character seems to have been dropped in purely to show off PC credentials. That is not a good reason for inclusion.

If you want to spread your political message, get a job as a politician.

Better fiction is that which depicts the real as it is, not as some idealized and sanitized form of how a writer wants the word to be (So Buchner says of Schiller that his characters were just "marionettes with sky blue noses", not real).

I think that this particular idealization pathology may perhaps explain why the new Beamdog NPCs have been less well received than the original BG ones. Beamdog focus is class, race, sex; old games on character.

edited April 2016

What on earth are you talking about?

About people zero voting a 20 hour game because of a handful of blink and miss it references. That's some real hate.

• skeptik_59skeptik_59 Member Posts: 38

[snippity...}
    If you want to spread your political message, get a job as a politician.

[snip]

Or.. become a creative artist and share your beliefs, whatever they may be, through your creative endeavors. Say, as a writer, or game designer, or coder. One needn't be a politician to have political beliefs, nor to attempt to spread them, after all.

People can use all sorts of methods and mediums to share their visions and beliefs. Freedom of expression is a good thing, or at least I believe it to be. :)

Safana and Jaheira are established characters. They should not be adapted to suit political causes - especially when the underlying reason for the change is not established (Safana was not just a sex object; Jaheria not just a complaining wife).

The TG character seems to have been dropped in purely to show off PC credentials. That is not a good reason for inclusion.

Because what? Trans characters need to have "good reasons" for inclusion? I don't see every single other character held to that same standard. There are metric crap tons of generic characters standing around with no good reason for inclusion? But suddenly because a character is trans, they need to have some special "good reason"?

And Jaheira VERY MUCH came off as a complaining wife in BG1, so an added dimension to her is VERY WELCOME. That's a GOOD THING, not a bad one.

• PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    OP, here. I do gotta say - just one more time - that this thread is not about whether the inclusion of X "content" is right or wrong. It's about the egregious review bombing that this game is facing on Metacritic and elsewhere.

If you're going to complain about the changes to Safana, you need to be willing to address how those changes warrant this game getting 5x more reviews than Fallout 4's DLC, nearly all of them negative. You need to be willing to talk about whether you think trying to destroy a game's release because you disagree with a sliver of its content is appropriate or responsible. This isn't about being offended, it's about ethical behavior in the context of being offended.
    Samy said:

Yeah, that's why there are comments like "Killing a tranny and getting 2000xp for it while no one else seems to care? Now THIS is my kind of escapism."

Yes, that's probably the same kind of humour.

I'm sure there are some comments on that video that are genuinely hateful or bigoted, but it's YouTube. That's more or less a given.
    Because what? Trans characters need to have "good reasons" for inclusion?
    No, just a better reason than to be able to say a TG has been included for the sake of including a TG person. That is just tokenism.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    edited April 2016
    Samy said:

All my best, and never kowtow to people demanding that every character in every game should be a white het male.

I don't think this really helps things, since it seems that 99% of the time, it's the "white het male" that becomes the face of the otherwise faceless opposition. People of all races, sex, and orientation are capable of bigotry, but it's almost exclusively the "white het male" that is given the mantle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any case, this whole controversy over one character is (almost) beyond belief. Maybe it would have been better received if it involved the cursed belt that changes gender.

Edit: I enjoyed discussing character builds and all things BG, but now it's flooded with all of this controversy over something that isn't that serious to begin with. It's not like the game forces us to play as a transsexual character.

. become a creative artist and share your beliefs, whatever they may be, through your creative endeavors.
    Which is fine, as long as it is not done in an artificial manner, by e.g. using token characters to sell your political beliefs or altering an established character because it does not fit your view of how the world /should/ be (as opposed to how it really is).
    edited April 2016
    Maybe it would have been better received if it involved the cursed belt that changes gender
    So many ways TG could have been seamlessly integrated, but the big political statement was preferred.
    Writing is all about selling your political beliefs. A writer that does not put any of themselves into their writing is a hack just doing it for the money.
  • athakathak Member Posts: 31
    Samy said:

I kill all temple clerics in BG1, and nobody seems to care. Beregost one nets you 5k exp, + few k for sirens there. With this logic, I must be hating people of faith. One of the reasons why the video is there are comments like this. You're only fueling the fire.
    Give it a break, nobody with a semi-sane mind will pass out on SoD due to some random NPC blabbering. They will pass out on SoD for other reasons like bugs/bad ideas or whatever - but tranny being in game isn't one of them.
    You like the game - buy it. Don't like it, request a refund & go post crap about any part of it you deem unethical in your flawlessly cohesive moral structure. Then look yourself in mirror and say: "Yea. I'm 30."
This discussion has been closed.