Skip to content

Bioware's co-founders (Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk) have left the company

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/09/18/ray-muzyka-greg-zeschuk-retire/

Thoughts on where this leaves the company?

I'm sure they will continue to sell games, but I don't think I will be buying them.

Comments

• CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I'm still waiting for outside-USA BioWare Bazaar promised to us 3 years ago O_O
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    differences with EA, you think?
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    @shawne

wow, maxis

that just reminds me of how awesome the first sims game was.....

the 2nd two leave a bad taste in my mouth after playing for awhile, but maybe that's just me.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Bjjorick said:

differences with EA, you think?

More likely they were waiting for stock options to vest (the EA acquisition was 5 years ago next month).
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Good ol' Westwood and Dune2 :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Brude I never thought of that. Good catch.
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Bah, I'll wait and judge Bioware's offerings as they go up for sale. I do wonder about how much of Greg and Ray's soul remains at Bioware, but I haven't been disappointed like some fans have been. As long as they continue to produce great games that I enjoy, I'll still be a Bioware supporter.
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    Dragon Age 3 is possibly the last game I buy from Bioware.
  • RoutsRouts Member Posts: 7
    How ironic it would have been to have BG:EE released the same day as these two guys leave the industry? I wonder if someone on the inside knew about this date and that's why it was picked?
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    edited September 2012
    Just read it on RPS. Sad thing. Also leaves a lot open for speculation, as you don't really know their reasons. Maybe they really were just tired of videogames.

The above picture is super creepy. I hope Bioware doesn't continue its downward spiral, but the odds probably are against them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    According to Kotaku, one of them wants to be the next entrepreneurial guru helping start up companies and the other really, really, really likes beer.
  • TeagansDadTeagansDad Member Posts: 3
    That cartoon is missing Origin... should have been there with Bullfrog and Westwood instead of Pandemic.

The good doctors probably burned out and actually want to have lives with their families outside of work. I only made it 2 1/2 years in the industry (EA, then Rockstar) before burning out and "retiring" from the industry.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Seriously - did anybody think that they'd be unscathed after playing in the EA (cess)pool? No longer able to take as long on DA2 as they needed, there was a rush for cash. I'm guessing similar for ME3. It's no longer fun when you're doing it to another's calendar - another that should know that art cannot be rushed.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    To keep it brief, even though these 2 were probably having little influence on Bioware games lately, it is still a clear sign of what we all know since 2007.
    But.. hell, who knows, maybe they'll hire someone who saves DA3 combined with Dice engine, who knows. But usualy this story ends like the image above.

@TeagansDad Origin is not there because its a zombie child now ;)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @AurenRavidel

You summed up my opinion on ME3 perfectly. It would have been my favorite in the franchise but the ending just left such a bad taste =( It was like a 9.5/10 or maybe even a 10/10 in my books......until like the last hour =(

I also tell other people the same thing about DA2. If it had been made by any other publisher, DA2 would have been considered a fantastic game. However it was not a fantastic Bioware game. And unfortunately for them they've set quite a high standard for themselves over the years.
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    @Dragonspear
    There should be an ME3 support group. lol
    It probably sounds pathetic, but after I finished ME3 I felt a little hollow inside. I was actually depressed for a few days, moping around. ME1 and ME2 were replayed like crazy. I can't even bring myself to touch ME3 again.

@Shandyr ;)
  • HoebaggerHoebagger Member Posts: 46
    @aurenRavidel
    I know what you mean buddy, I just felt odd for a few days. It was like I lost a part of my family, it was horrid. I felt marginally better with the director's cut, but still unsettled with the way Casey Hudson went behind the other writers' backs doing that last part there in the original cut.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I can imagine that the gigantic amount of bitching about ME2, then DA2 and then ME3, combined with the high-pressure level of the industry and lack of autonomy after selling out to EA, they'd rather sit on the millions they made from selling Bioware and do some projects they feel like doing (entrepeneur coaching and beer production I hear) instead of continueing to work their asses off for games people will only bitch about because they have to follow EA guidelines.

Mind you, it's their own stupid fault for selling out and a lot of the whining was justified, but I can imagine they're just tired of it.
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2012
    Don't forget generic MMO SWTOR R.I.P Bioware. At least we have beamdog/Overhaul!
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    I guess others get more wrapped up in these games than I do, because although I understand the gripes about ME3's ending (somewhat), I do not understand the anger over DA2 at all. It was a different game from Origins, to be true, but I thought they were both strong in their own respects, and it was cool to see a company put a different take on an already great game by going in a different direction artistically and mechanically. I'm kind of glad it wasn't just a rehash of Origins with a different plot, because after playing all the way through Origins twice, and Awakening once, and all the DLC, I was getting burnt out on the Origins interface. DA2 was a fun game, although some aspects of Origins I did miss, but still a fun game.

As for the docs, after 15 years in the industry, it's completely understandable that they'd want to move on. I don't think this is the death kneel that many feel that it is. Many forget that DAO was released in 2009, 2 years after Bioware was purchased by EA. EA had to have an influence over the already in-progress development of DAO, so I don't see how it can be said that EA is exclusively the cause of the problems of DA2, which some seem to feel that it is.
  • HoebaggerHoebagger Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2012
    @shandyr MASS EFFECT 3 THREE SPOILER BELOW.

Something that led me towards supporting The Indoctrination Theory of the commander (prior to the director's cut anyway) was that in the destruction ending starchild says you'd die since you were part synthetic. However With enough war assets, as you noticed, you clearly don't die.

That had always nagged at me, and led to me googling around til I found Indoctrination Theory, which I really enjoyed since it made way more sense than the literal interpretation of the ending. Shame it's less likely given the extended ending.
    Post edited by Hoebagger on
    edited September 2012
    @Hoebagger, @Shandyr

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/161/how-to-format-your-posts/p1

If you could follow the incredible easy instructions on here on how to put a spoiler in a post, and then edit your posts accordingly I'd appreciate it. I have yet to play ME3 to be honest and thus I'd (and perhaps others) would prefer to not have to avert my eyes whenever someone posts on here or if I'm scrolling down the page. Thanks.
    No worries.