Skip to content

The Candlekeep Library: Neera the Wild Mage

Comments

• TyranthraxusTyranthraxus Member Posts: 10
    Good story and I like the voice acting. I can't wait to wreak havoc with her in the party.
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Uhg so using my iPhone can't get the voice set to play
  • Grimo88Grimo88 Member Posts: 191
    This story about pixie vomit sure does make up for me not playing BGEE today!

Yes, I'm incredibly bitter. :)
  • paulsifer42paulsifer42 Member Posts: 267
    She sounds awesome. So stoked to have her in my party.
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    I had a feeling I would like Neera, that feeling is stronger now.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I knew you guys would torture me by making Dorn last.

Btw, read it all, heard it all; very nice. Sounds good.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Wild magic is dangerous, but the chances are greater that it kills the caster.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    Oh gods, I'm having horror visions of Qara. 'Studying is stupid, real magic comes from the inside...' Neera's not quite there yet, as she feels bad about hurting others, but still... :(

Funny thing: when the 3 characters were announced I had completely dismissed Rasaad - I thought I'd have him along just for his quest and be done with it. I was expecting a stern, male version of Jaheira and the background story made me see him as an interesting individual who I genuinely want to play with because I want to see how his character developed now that he's older.

With Neera it's the other way around. But who knows, maybe during her quest she'll grow on me. :>

Points for Dave though (lots of points), yet another short story that manages to both capture the character and make me want to visit the places described. If only we could get Binster... gnomes, gnomes for everyone!
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    SO.... are they going to add centaurs to the game..? :-P
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Hmm, funny story, but somehow Neera's personality kind of resembles Imoen's. And since Imoen can be dualed to Mage, I don't immediately see how Neera could fit into my party. I'll make sure to let her join once for the dialogues and banters, though. :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    This link mentions that centaurs survive in the forrest of Cormanthor in the Dalelands. I'm sure that will have been her home.

There's also a large centaur population in the Shaar, a land of the Shining South. But in the story we have the reference to a building, and other elves. The Shaar is like an American Indian prairie land.

Realms-nerd that I am, I had to look this up.
    edited September 2012

Wild magic is dangerous, but the chances are greater that it kills the caster.

Yeah, it seems to me this is very much a class for one who is a roleplayer at heart. Certainly not a character a no-reloader should want along, because she's likely to end up causing some fatalities (either directly or because of a miscast spell that loses the battle). The result of a Wild Surge is usually something you don't really want in combat.

On the other hand, I'm wondering how developed her dialogs will be... and not just hers but that of the entire party... because the reactions to all these possible crazy outcomes could be very entertaining indeed.

I hope the excellent Wild Mage Additions mod is updated for BG:EE, so that the spells and features it implements are available to this NPC.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727

Anything is possible with MAGIC!

@PhillipDaigle

"Magic Dye +1 - Pink"

Description :
    This is a magic dye formed by the two, non enchanted versions "Dye - Red" and "Dye - White". Mages throughout the realms enchant the two together in order to make it possible for men and women alike to have pink hair. On the other hand, Red wizards of Thay are known to enhance these dyes even further to add a stylish glow effect to the hair.

Effect : User can switch irreversibly their hair color to pink. Upon use, the magic dye will disappear from the user's hand and appear magically in the hands of the next user... or victim.
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I don't really see how Neera could possibly be a USEFUL character, though. I mean, lore-wise she doesn't even have control over her own magic, as shown in the story. Who would be as insane to trust her abilities in real serious battles then? She could end up killing herself rather than inflicting damage to the enemy.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    Wow! Of the three new NPCs I was the least excited about Neera, but after reading her backstory I'm truly looking forward to bringing her along. Wild magic bursts and all.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    edited September 2012
    I imagine it's too late but please don't make her too Quara-like. Beating Quara to death with my monk's bare hands was one of the highlights of NWN2 for me (killing Neeshka and Bishop being the other two) and I'd hate it if Neera invoked the same kind of negativity.

I don't really see how Neera could possibly be a USEFUL character, though. I mean, lore-wise she doesn't even have control over her own magic, as shown in the story. Who would be as insane to trust her abilities in real serious battles then? She could end up killing herself rather than inflicting damage to the enemy.

Chance of a Wild Surge is 1 in 20. But when you think about how many times spells are cast throughout the course of a game that's pretty frequent.

What would really make this fun is if there's a boatload of reactions for various party members when at least some of the more shocking results occur. With the time frame that the developers have to pound this game out I do not expect this to be added, because that's an awful lot of dialogs to write. This is the sort of mod project I might find myself undertaking, actually.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    Neera sounds like Neeshka. I approve. I was sad I couldn't make babies with Neeshka (especially considering I play tiefling).

She even likes money like Neeshka. "I was going to pay him back...", that's all that will load for me. :P
  • Fake_SketchFake_Sketch Member Posts: 217
    Idk, she sounds to much like a teenager.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    That was brilliant. Using the stress that comes from exams and making it a life changing event when your abilities are considered less than able by peers and teachers was great.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

Hmm, funny story, but somehow Neera's personality kind of resembles Imoen's. And since Imoen can be dualed to Mage, I don't immediately see how Neera could fit into my party. I'll make sure to let her join once for the dialogues and banters, though. :)

Imoen is reliable. Neera... where is Neera, and why is that squirrel eyeing me so much?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Wild mages are fun like that. Cast Magic Missile on Cabros in Candlekeep? HELLOOOO PIT FIEND!
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Neera sounds cool :)
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    So that ... so that was pretty American.
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    edited September 2012
    A german duergar lol i can't wait. I find myself undecided as to who i'll dump on my 1st BG:EE playthrough so i can take Neera and Rasaad. I like the voice of Neera but i agree she seems very Imoen-esque as far as humour goes, though i don't see them as similar in attitude or personality at all....which is a good thing since i like Imoen anyways :-). Imoen in stereo, both cracking jokes fits well with my paladin who's a smartass and likes to play pranks(i just don't believe every paladin has to have a broomstick up his nethers in order to BE a paladin). I passed my broomstick along to a cleric who needed it more. Add to the fact that i FIRMLY believe that the lay-on-hands ability HAS to be applied to a specific part of the female anatomy...errr....you know....
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    So Viconia gets to change skin color between games, but pink hair crosses the line?
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't think she's like Qara. I mean, there are some similarities, but this looks like a fun take (Qara was not fun!).
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188

Idk, she sounds to much like a teenager.

She is a teenager, Imoen and the main character are also teenagers, hopefully there will be character growth for her into BG2.

• ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    Ward said:

Neera sounds like Neeshka. I approve. I was sad I couldn't make babies with Neeshka (especially considering I play tiefling).

She even likes money like Neeshka. "I was going to pay him back...", that's all that will load for me. :P

"I was going to pay him back....eventually....at some point....in the future....if I could find him."

People who are complaining about wild mages forget that not ALL wild surges are bad. Some of them are beneficial, and some are just plain silly.