Skip to content

The Candlekeep Library: Neera the Wild Mage

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Sharn said:

Idk, she sounds to much like a teenager.

She is a teenager, Imoen and the main character are also teenagers, hopefully there will be character growth for her into BG2.

You heard it here first: Neera is a Bhaalspawn!
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    Sharn said:

Idk, she sounds to much like a teenager.

She is a teenager, Imoen and the main character are also teenagers, hopefully there will be character growth for her into BG2.

I like how the main character is a teenager, but you can pick an old man picture as a portrait.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    @arcalian exactly. Why I remember a time when while casting chromatic orb on a demon I had inadvertently summoned (through a wild surge) in Beregost I was instead blessed with an army of chickens to combat him with. Needless to say I reloaded. I feared the realms could not handle such an epic battle.
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Uhm... Another Thay plot?
    I think Thay are overused. After Edwin vs Red Wizards, IWD2, NWN1&2, I do believe it is too much. Surely, Sword Coast is not so devoid of bad guys that they have to travel all the way from the other side of the world to cause trouble.
    There's actually more red wizards than just Edwin in BG1. There are also those red wizards running around Northeast of Nashkel, doing some kind of an experiment.

It's like I always say. A Red Wizard is a dead wizard. Or if he wasn't before, he will be by the time I'm through with him!
    @aosaw and if I remember correctly if you have Edwin in your party they won't attack you.
    So maybe it's all just one BIG Thay plot. Yeah...
  • BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    Like many others, I like what you've shown of her so far but am worried that she may be too similar to Imoen to keep around (did the hair have to be pink?).

Also, how can she be romanceable? She's not a cleric! :)
    Technically neither is Jaheira :)
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Beetle said:

Like many others, I like what you've shown of her so far but am worried that she may be too similar to Imoen to keep around (did the hair have to be pink?).

Don't worry...she has elf blood. She only couldn't be romanced if she was human, half-orc, halfling, dwarf, or gnome.

(I am actually thrilled for the new content and intrigued by the early showing. Just noting the Elf/Half-Elf and really for that matter spellcaster mold).
  • hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    "Did he also turn you into a parrot? - That's what I just said!"
    Love it :)
  • KasonKason Member Posts: 30
    Her voice and speaking style reminds Mission Vao from "Knight's of the Old Republic".
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356

So that ... so that was pretty American.

Sounds like West Coast to me.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    D'awww! The line about money is what sold me. In addition to her hair.
    edited September 2012
    Mortianna said:

So that ... so that was pretty American.

Sounds like West Coast to me.
    Makes sense if they are based in Edmonton.
    Beetle said:

Lol, I never realized that all the romanceable females (and males, um, I mean male) in BG2 are clerics in one form or another. Must there be divine representation in order for Bhaalspawn to become interested in someone?
  • AurenRavidelAurenRavidel Member Posts: 139
    Mortianna said:

Must there be divine representation in order for Bhaalspawn to become interested in someone?

This just ensures that the ladies treat their man like the god he is.
    @AurenRavidel lol...a quip that would make Edwin or Eldoth proud, indeed!
    Sharn said:

Doesn't the intro narrative to BG say the main character is 20 years old?

edited September 2012
    @Mortianna yes it does.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    @Mortianna Yes, the PC is 20. Imoen is a few years younger if I remember correctly.
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    My bad if I was wrong but 20 isn't really any different then 17-19 as far as personality and maturity, 20 is still a kid. Most people continually mature throughout their whole lives, when I look back at things I did in my 20's and even my 30's with the knowledge I have now I think of how ridiculous I acted in many situations.
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    @Sharn To be fair, 17 is different from 20 in that the hormones settle down for most people so their decisions will most likely stop being affected by random 'emotional' outbursts. Also, it's hard to place everyone in boxes based simply on age when personality has been proven to play an immense part in the overall behavior of a person.

I believe that even at 50, Imoen will still act childishly because it is in her nature. Also, due to the responsibilities heaped on the PC from a young age, I think he or she will act with a higher degree of common sense - which some might call maturity.

I don't hold much hope for Neera suddenly "maturing" for BG2. Her personality gives a sense of irresponsibility and whimsy which can't be undone simply by the passing of the years. It would take some major, perhaps traumatic, events for a bubbly person to sober up and I wouldn't wish that on any virtual character. Imoen's trauma was enough. :)
  • SharnSharn Member Posts: 188
    I agree with you, but I will also say that a lot of 20 year old's still act very immaturely, though a lot of people in their 30's and 40's will as well.

The point I was making was in reference to people complaining about a teenage or close to teenage character sounding like a teenager. It reminds me of the, Luke acts like a whiny teenager in A New Hope complaints, but fail to realize that Luke was a whiny teenager in a New Hope, and was older and more mature by RotJ which is a big reason why he was no longer whiny.

I would still expect some character growth into BG2, the base personality of a person, their nature so to speak, doesn't change, but that doesn't mean that their personality wont grow, expand and mature within the bounds of that nature.
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2012
    Meh, this character isn't exactly original. It certainly isn't comparable to the 1998 BG ones. Plus, where are our psychos characters? Half of the character in BG were completely nuts, yet not cliche nuts, original ones.

I've already found this archetypal character in many fantasy/sci-fi work already. The kind of watered down, crazy only on the surface characters. It's the ''At first she see seems crazy but when you dig out she has a kind hear'' PG 09 character you see in most video games today.

To sum it up, this character is cheesy.
    @GueulEclator This based on a few paragraphs and a trio of sound-bytes. Riiiiight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GueulEclatorGueulEclator Member Posts: 175
    edited September 2012
    Aosaw said:

@GueulEclator This based on a few paragraphs and a trio of sound-bytes. Riiiiight.

You will rarely have more text about a character in a game. The purpose of those ''few paragraph'' is to introduce the character to us, it's personality, it's backstory... So yeah, it's safe to base assumption on these.
    Stop trying to act smart ''riiiight'' because you fail hard.