Skip to content

Trans person responds to Amber Scott and the other writers

Comments

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    @BelleSorciere my take on it was just that trying to match one thing or another as a nonbinary person is nonsense for most of 'em, and as a nonbinary trans person who is woman-aligned in some ways but mostly just "not a man" I can attest that's true for me for sure. If you meant it another way @KcoQuidam feel free to elaborate!

And by the way @KcoQuidam I love your reply here and agree with it very much, although it is certainly true that some trans people do feel abnormal and broken which is why I didn't want to come at @Ashiel for her lived experience of transness, since it's just as valid to feel that way. But I do definitely gel more with your position here than hers, and feel that the vast majority of what I experience as "broken" and "abnormal" feeling is because of society/culture (and other people Othering me and dehumanizing me as a result of things that are normalized for them because of society/culture), rather than something internal to me. I really appreciate what you've written here, and feel it in my bones (and I appreciate your shoutout to nb trans folks like me!)! <3
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Okay, cool. I wasn't sure how to interpret what she wrote. I blame fatigue.

FWIW, I'm nonbinary as well.
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2016

I am not sure what you're getting at re: "nonbinary people (for whom the sexual identity matching thing is...a total nonsense)" - are you saying nonbinary transgender people don't ever need to transition or are you saying something else that I am missing?

Maybe me who have really badly write it. I nether wanting say nonbinary people don't ever need transition, I think it's a total personal thing some want, some other don't that pretty much the same thing as the other trans people : a lot of different experience.

The thing I wanna say it's just for nonbinary people (in my definition: people who don't identity as men or women) there no "actual sex" that correspond to their gender identity in the view of the society (cause society is a binary thing, and split sex between "male" and "female"). You can't have a "nonbinary sex" cause ... that doesn't exist (still in society seeing, clearly not my thoughts) so you can't change your sex to "correspond" to your gender identity. That's why I call that "corresponding thing" a nonsense. That not "you don't need transition" but more "binary society will nether give you the 'matching seal of approvale', no matter what you'll do".

Not sure this response is more clear... Sorry if that bring more troubles than precisions. I'm not quite sure I use the goods terms for english speakers.

OMG!! I'm really glad to see this accretion of nb folks on these boards like NBarnacles on the hull of a ship.
    KcoQuidam said:

I am not sure what you're getting at re: "nonbinary people (for whom the sexual identity matching thing is...a total nonsense)" - are you saying nonbinary transgender people don't ever need to transition or are you saying something else that I am missing?

Maybe me who have really badly write it. I nether wanting say nonbinary people don't ever need transition, I think it's a total personal thing some want, some other don't that pretty much the same thing as the other trans people : a lot of different experience.

The thing I wanna say it's just for nonbinary people (in my definition: people who don't identity as men or women) there no "actual sex" that correspond to their gender identity in the view of the society (cause society is a binary thing, and split sex between "male" and "female"). You can't have a "nonbinary sex" cause ... that doesn't exist (still in society seeing, clearly not my thoughts) so you can't change your sex to "correspond" to your gender identity. That's why I call that "corresponding thing" a nonsense. That not "you don't need transition" but more "binary society will nether give you the matching no matter what you'll do".

Not sure this response is more clear... Sorry if that bring more troubles than precisions. I'm not quite sure I use the goods terms for english speakers.
    No, it helps. Thanks for clearing that up.

OMG!! I'm really glad to see this accretion of nb folks on these boards like NBarnacles on the hull of a ship.
    <3
    If it wasn't already clear from my handle, I'm more of a gender nihilist than anything. Maria Lugones' The Coloniality of Gender and Judith Butler's oeuvre, in the academic sense, and both two spirit indigenous people I've been honoured to meet and get to know and nb settler folks like myself, in the more down-to-earth sense, have both greatly informed my own brand of gender nihilism but that manifesto is near and dear to my heart (and also based in part on Lugones' work).
    I like that some troll account with 4 posts to their name made this thread to be like "look trans people are angry" and now it's turned into a trans lovefest for the game and each other, we are so resilient and wonderful and I just love trans folks so much right now tbh
    I think I know the author of that gender nihilism manifesto. Not well, just like encountered online.
    Same here, actually. I follow their blog and have since long before that manifesto went up, through url changes and online drama lmao

I remember the link when it first popped up on their blog, and read it voraciously (and was already a gender nihilist by that point because of her and Alyson/genderkills and other bloggers' discussions in that vein lol)
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181

I didn't want to come at @Ashiel for her lived experience of transness, since it's just as valid to feel that way.

I have post mostly because the definition of transness she have shared was really far from the one I know & use. But since I use the french and the "define and mostly share by the trans people"-definition (still as a french speaker) I could have be wrong from the very start in my expression if the english definition are different (not saying I would have more agree).

That a total valid way to feel clearly. I don't blame anybody for feeling that way.

I'll look the link you give ^^. Thank for the share.

@BelleSorciere happy it clear the thing ^^'. Sorry for the first bad phrasing.
  • AshielAshiel Member Posts: 254
    *sigh* I just want to play Baldur's Gate again. Ever since this update, I can't play with my mods so I'm waiting for the mods to catch up before I continue trying to play it. I need my Sword Coast Stratagems and NPC Project. (T_T)
    I was able to install the BG tweaks mod to both BG1 and BG2 EE 2.1 - so far it seems to be working fine. Don't know if SCS will install, although I will find out soon enough since I think I need it for Ascension.
    You're welcome! Hopefully it resolves your mod problems. :smile:
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    Ashiel said:

*sigh* I just want to play Baldur's Gate again. Ever since this update, I can't play with my mods so I'm waiting for the mods to catch up before I continue trying to play it. I need my Sword Coast Stratagems and NPC Project. (T_T)

I didn't see Finch in your needs... THAT is a radical viewpoint.
    Dazzu said:

Ashiel said:

Finch? :confused:
    SCS seems to have installed fine, although I haven't played far enough to see its effects.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    Ashiel said:

Dazzu said:

Ashiel said:

Finch? :confused:

• KelvrynKelvryn Member Posts: 44
    you can change your gender in Baldur's Gate by merely equipping the right belt...lol
    Having watched the video you linked, I think I've realized why stuff like this seems token to some people and not-token to others, and it mostly comes to his definition of flat vs round characters and traits. I've wholly decided that it comes down to this.

You walk into a pub, the bartender is lazy.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender is grumpy.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender is stinky.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender is stupid.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender speaks french.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender is friendly.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender is happy.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender is racist.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender is preachy.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender is comical.
    You walk into a pub, the bartender is transsexual.

Wait a second...
    Now for a lot of people, "is transsexual", is a perfectly fine trait to decorate a flat character with. For a lot of people, this feels "forced" because to them, a character's flat traits are usually things like personality traits, social traits (like their clothing), and their professions. In the same way that people would see the grumpy bartender, the happy bartender, and the gay bartender with the latter being different from the former two, I think this gives a lot of people pause.

Anytime something like sexuality or race are used to define a flat character, it comes off as feeling forced to a lot of people. I'd dare say because, to many people, those aren't personality traits or traits that matter, and it feels very artificial (or even offensive) when a flat character's tiny bit of personality is summed up as "the gay" or something.

Mind you, this isn't an argument or anything. Just a sort of realization that hit me while watching the video. Because during the video, I couldn't help but to ask why those are the traits that matter on a flat character, as opposed to any other defining features of their personality. Mayhaps this is where the disconnect is coming from.
    edited April 2016
    I think you guys are misunderstanding my point. My point is that it seems that there is an illusion going on here. A sort of mental mirage as it were. See, we're a super-minority (like less than 1/100 here, which is still a lot of people added up but it wouldn't be unfair to say we're very uncommon), so we tend to stand out more when we pop up.

Looking at the first list I provided, each of those things tells you something important about your character's personality (except the speaking french, I was sleepy and I have no idea where that came from; I think my train of thought derailed for a bit). For example, Winthorp in Candlekeep is a joker. That jackass who owns the Copper Coronet is a bad guy. Noober is irritating. So on, so forth, yadda-yadda.

(I'm going to note that having being transsexual placed into the same trait grouping as having a peg leg is pretty hilarious and eerily accurate in some senses.)

Now, the rarer something is, the more it's going to stand out and not get glossed over by your brain, but at the same time the fewer other traits it has alongside it, the more alone it's going to see. Essentially, being flat makes it stand out a lot more.

Which is why the "round" characters don't seem to illicit these sorts of responses, because round characters feel more fleshed out and it doesn't feel like a gimmick. It's a play on the boiling frog effect.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    By the same token, however, when we reach the point where it is no longer shocking and unusual to see a trans character (as we are getting with gay and lesbian characters), then it will no longer be controversial when a flat one occurs, same as virtually nobody cares about a random black NPC.
    (If you can't tell, I'm still sleepy) Put another way, most people aren't even going to notice traits that are so common as to be assumed. For example, even in Faerun, it's probably pretty natural to suspect that everyone has a mother and a father at least biologically speaking, even in a world where shapeshifing is a thing, it's probably not common enough that people wouldn't do a double-take if you had two mothers or two fathers or something.

So when someone mentions they have a wife or husband (of the opposite sex), being that heterosexuality is in fact more prevalent, it doesn't stand out very much when you see it so your brain doesn't even register it in the first place as much of anything, in the same way you don't take close examination of the grass in the park, because it's a park and you assume grass is going to be present. In fact, if you go to the park, and there is no grass, it's going to seem all the more remarkable.

So what I'm saying is, I think that a lot of the character's perceived tokenism, stems from these tricks of the mind. I realized this while watching the video and comparing to what others were saying. Tons and tons of people had a powerful reaction to Mizhena (good or ill), but as others noted in this thread, if compared to other NPCs who do info dumps (such as Mirriane in Beregost) she seems to stick out to our brains more.

And when our brains aren't noticing much else to the character (because it's being mostly overshadowed by this trait that our brain focuses on really hard) then it might appear that the character is token, because the character seems to stand out but only because of this one thing.
This discussion has been closed.