Skip to content

Trans person responds to Amber Scott and the other writers

Comments

• DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    As I noted in another thread, we westerners certainly have it rough in a world where LGBTs complain about video game character representation.

Forgive me if I think this is a tad inflated, and no, I really don't care what a character is provided they're well written.

So while we complain about a video game character, Islamic countries abuse women by throwing acid in their faces, gay people are castrated or killed, and drawing a child molester from the year 611 AD is enough to get you killed.

I don't mean to get too off topic, but I defy any trans person who feels attacked to go to Yemen... actually, I don't, I wouldn't wish my enemies to go there.

I'd hate to go there, but this all seems like first world problems up in here, and I don't say that to be crass.

There are more dire issues too in Western culture, or are lead pipes no longer a concern? Does rising sea level no longer matter? Bees? Clean Energy? We'll have plenty of time to deal with inequities of black, white, gay, male, trans, female, etc. when the risk of huffing coal living at a sea level which used to be considered 50 feet above sea level as we learn to eat jellyfish because other sea life dies off.

TLDR: the world is filled with people who say mean things, but as a random druid npc quote once said "Don't mess with nature, or it'll mess with you!" Oh and before someone tries to twist that line into me saying something transphobic... you're looking too hard for conflict wherever you go.
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181
    edited April 2016
    (On second though nevermind. People here share very interesting post and I think it's best just not read the obvious troll)
  • mzacharymzachary Member Posts: 106
    Dazzu said:

As I noted in another thread, we westerners certainly have it rough in a world where LGBTs complain about video game character representation.

Forgive me if I think this is a tad inflated, and no, I really don't care what a character is provided they're well written.

So while we complain about a video game character, Islamic countries abuse women by throwing acid in their faces, gay people are castrated or killed, and drawing a child molester from the year 611 AD is enough to get you killed.

I don't mean to get too off topic, but I defy any trans person who feels attacked to go to Yemen... actually, I don't, I wouldn't wish my enemies to go there.

I'd hate to go there, but this all seems like first world problems up in here, and I don't say that to be crass.

There are more dire issues too in Western culture, or are lead pipes no longer a concern? Does rising sea level no longer matter? Bees? Clean Energy? We'll have plenty of time to deal with inequities of black, white, gay, male, trans, female, etc. when the risk of huffing coal living at a sea level which used to be considered 50 feet above sea level as we learn to eat jellyfish because other sea life dies off.

TLDR: the world is filled with people who say mean things, but as a random druid npc quote once said "Don't mess with nature, or it'll mess with you!" Oh and before someone tries to twist that line into me saying something transphobic... you're looking too hard for conflict wherever you go.

So why aren't you out there busy solving those real problems instead of coming here complaining about if LGBT should be concerned about their representation?
    edited April 2016
    The real "funny" thing is that the trolls now change their "concern troll" attitude and now blame the trans people for the existence of the controversy. Start a controversy by saying you talk for trans people, then blame them for the mess you've made.

(To be clear this message are just for the message of @Dazzu and some other in other thread that have the same style. Not to the other people who talk lately on this thread. Sorry if it look like. Yes I've failed my "keep calm" ability check)
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    @Dazzu I assume the same logic applies to all the people whining that the trans player was included in the first place? Because *that's* what this has been about over the last 20 days, not complaints from trans players.

Also: Please don't sh*t on other people's religions; the Islamophobia really isn't necessary and has nothing to do with the thread.
    edited April 2016
    joluv said:

Wayniac said:

I've just proven that there exists exactly one issue and only one issue in the entire world worth discussing.

I assume you mean Carthage? Yeah, that's fair.
    Do you mean. If we answer the Carthage issue all other world issues will be fixed ?

*Launch a nuclear attack on Carthage*

The World is now totally fixed ! Good job everybody !
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Wayniac said:

Claim: There are more dire issues and therefore, this "issue" is a "nonissue"

1) Issue exists
    2) It's not an issue because there exists a bigger issue
    3) Find the bigger issue
    4) It's not an issue because there exists a bigger issue
    5) Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you find the biggest issue
    6) There exists only one issue in the world

So in conclusion, using your very well constructed argument (that shall, from this point forward, be referred to as The Cow Pie Defense), I've just proven that there exists exactly one issue and only one issue in the entire world worth discussing.

If I could hand out a "Burn of the year" award, you would get it!
  • AriusArius Member Posts: 92
    edited April 2016
    The scientists and doctors of World Health Organization classifies transgender behavior as a mental illness. Trying to legitimize a mental illness isn't a good thing to do and is immoral IMO.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    @Arius: Leaving aside the classification issue for a moment, do you think that mental illnesses are illegitimate?
    Political pressure doesn't create new science and diagnosis. See the AMA bowing to political pressure and providing zero science for the change in stance. Hopefully the WHO doesn't follow this path as it isn't based in medical science and is just politics.
    edited April 2016
    Arius said:

Political pressure doesn't create new science and diagnosis. See the AMA bowing to political pressure and providing zero science for the change in stance. Hopefully the WHO doesn't follow this path as it isn't based in medical science and is just politics.

The classification as "mental illness" for homosexuality and transidentity is based on Freud and Lacan work. And even if you like it or not their work is mostly not scientical and don't follow the basic Poper's refutability criteria. Stop using big words, this is a very debate subject on the international scientific community, don't try make it look like an "indiscutable truth™".
    KcoQuidam said:

Arius said:

The classification as "mental illness" for homosexuality and transidentity is based on Freud and Lacan work. And even if you like it or not their work is mostly not scientical and don't follow the basic Poper's refutability criteria. Stop using big words, this is a very debate subject on the international scientific community, don't try make it look like an "indiscutable truth™".
    What, you don't like science that refutes an agenda you support. To bad it exists.
    BGLover said:

Arius said:

ICD-9 (which was published in 1977) coded homosexuality as a mental illness. This was removed in ICD-10.

That was progress too.
    And stitches have been used for cuts for how many millenia? Just because something isn't new doesn't mean it is wrong or needs fixed.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Arius said:

KcoQuidam said:

Arius said:

What, you don't like science that refutes an agenda you support. To bad it exists.
    The science doesn't exist. I keep up with this stuff (and psychiatry-related research in general) and it's fairly obvious that you do not.
    Holding an opinion based & referenced in science and defending said opinion isn't trolling. Calling it trolling ACTUALLY is TROLLING.
  • mzacharymzachary Member Posts: 106
    Arius said:

The scientists and doctors of World Health Organization classifies transgender behavior as a mental illness. Trying to legitimize a mental illness isn't a good thing to do and is immoral IMO.

Why would it be immoral? Is having a wheelchair when not being able to walk 'immoral' to legitimize in the sense of portrayal in a videogame? Is being deaf, but refusing implants 'immoral' to legitimize?

And that is apart from the funny notion that you seem to think that science didn't change over the years, back then a difference from the norm was rather quickly classified as a mental illness (-;
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited April 2016
    Arius said:

Holding an opinion based & referenced in science and defending said opinion isn't trolling. Calling it trolling ACTUALLY is TROLLING.

Referencing to science without linking to said science can very well be trolling. Especially after everything has already been said 100 times before and you're just tossing gasoline to a diminishing fire.

If you want to stand by your opinion, find the science that proves your point and link to it.

Edit: and btw, "science" used to say ie that all women who didn't act according to male-made principles was "hysterical" and demanded treatment. This ofc has been proven to be utter bullshit, so if you want to link to science, please choose modern science, kkthx.
  • PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Wayniac said:

6) There exists only one issue in the world

Restartitis?

• RathenauRathenau Member Posts: 80
    Dee said:

...Although everyone is certainly welcome to express their views in a respectful and civil manner, it bears noting that the topic of nonbinary gender identity is more significant to the people experiencing it than to those who are not.

Just be aware of this when you state your views on the matter, and know that some points of view pose the risk of antagonizing these people by marginalizing their position...

I'm afraid I cannot follow the logic there. I can see why the topic of gender identity is of great importance to those who feel like it applies to them more than anyone else and thus it might carry more meaning for them. The same goes for the fact that people can be incited by a comment on a topic that's deemed important to them and goes against their way of thinking.

However; marginalizing their position on it? I have no clue how to interpret that one. Could you give us something more to work with here? As in; how does stating one's opinion marginalize the ideas of someone else? Perhaps an example would work wonders in this case.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Rathenau said:

I'm afraid I cannot follow the logic there. I can see why the topic of gender identity is of great importance to those who feel like it applies to them more than anyone else and thus it might carry more meaning for them. The same goes for the fact that people can be incited by a comment on a topic that's deemed important to them and goes against their way of thinking.

However; marginalizing their position on it? I have no clue how to interpret that one. Could you give us something more to work with here? As in; how does stating one's opinion marginalize the ideas of someone else? Perhaps an example would work wonders in this case.

How about if I take one aspect of you and publicly label it a disorder, and I go further, and implicitly state that this disorder affects aspects of your behaviour and thinking. This is what a mental illness is. I can then make the association between mental illness ( the disorder affecting part of your behaviour and thinking), and opinions you might have (that may or may not be related to the disorder I have attached to you), but which serve to discredit or undermine any other thought or opinion you might have, since we have now established (because I said so), that you have this mental disorder.

In this way, your views and attitudes on a whole host of issues can be marginalised. You can be marginalised.

And if you don't agree with my analysis, simply look up the definition of mental illness. And then think about how that diagnosis will impact on an individual who doesn't agree or accept they have a mental illness. And then think how that supposed diagnosis (or label, for want of another word) can be used by other people.

In fact, you don't have to go far to see how the application of that label can be used. Just a few posts ago we have that label being used to justify the exclusion of a whole group of people from aspects of popular culture, and the assertion that to include them would be immoral.

This is what marginalisation is.
This discussion has been closed.